Water is kryptonite for most electronic devices, even in the era of waterproof smartphone. The smallest amount of water can shut down a device, destroy all of your data, and cause you to have to replace your device.
Worse, the water damage problem can destroy your electronic device very quickly, which means it is usually not covered by the manufacturer. You’re on your own when it comes to keeping your MacBook dry at the pool! However, accidents do happen. If you have spilled water on your MacBook, don’t panic.
Your MacBook keyboard has an air-tight feature that is designed to contain liquids and debris. This tutorial will show you what to do to save as much of the device as you can when you have spilled water on it.
Wipe The Device Off
When your MacBook has come in contact with water, it can short by grounding out or cause corrosion. Contact points are destroyed, and deposits may be left that will eventually cause more damage. If you have inadvertently wet your MacBook, the first line of action is to wipe it off to remove any liquid that may remain on the device:
1. When your MacBook becomes exposed to water, unplug it (if it was plugged).
2. If your MacBook was in a case when it was exposed to water, remove the case immediately. Then, quickly remove the battery.
3. Remove any peripherals that are connected to your device.
4. If the MacBook is still running, power it down. Don’t try to save any of the work or applications you had open. (Hopefully, you have a backed up copy of your data.)
5. Then, wipe the device down with a dry cloth, including the space behind the battery.
6. Place your MacBook in the tent position to encourage a more proactive draining.
7. Leave your MacBook OFF for at least 48 hours to decrease the impact of the water. Turning it on earlier could cause an electrical short.
8. Once you are confident that the device is dry, inside and out, replace the battery and try to turn it on. If it comes on, check to see if your keyboard works and look to see if there is any liquid damage on the screen. If it doesn’t come on, or something is damaged, check to see if your MacBook is under warranty to be repaired in cases of water damage.
Note: These instructions apply to MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro.
Go To A Local Specialist
Of course, seeking professional help is always a good idea in the event of an emergency. However, it’s important that you must do what you can to stop water from spreading through your MacBook at the moment it happens.
Once you have wiped your MacBook down and allowed it to completely dry out, you can take it to an Apple Store or local computer specialist to get the verdict on whether you have a serious water damage problem or not. The Apple Store or local computer repair shop can use ultrasonic cleaning methods to clean your device and try to recovery data.
What Not To Do
It’s normal to panic when you realize your MacBook is getting wet. The reaction to this crisis is different between users. However, when trying to save your device, make sure to follow the steps mentioned here. Avoid doing any one of these things:
- Don’t shake your MacBook to try and get the water out. This causes the water to spread throughout your device.
- Don’t turn your device back on until you have taken the steps to dry it out.
- Don’t place your MacBook in a humid place to dry out.
- Don’t use a hairdryer to speed up the drying process on your MacBook as the heat could further damage your device.
- Don’t put your MacBook in rice. Your MacBook is a high end Apple product in which you have invested. Stick with the professionals’ methods when it comes to any type of recovery effort.
Purchase A Waterproof Laptop Skin
The waterproof skin has been popular among smartphone users for a long time now. You may now purchase high quality, waterproof skins to protect your laptop. The skins come in different colors with different designs that give your laptop a stylish look while protecting it from liquids. The laptop skins are not 100% guaranteed to keep liquids from your laptop; however, they do help to minimize the potential damage of spilling liquids on your device.
You can get the MacBook waterproof skin from dealers such as Amazon, Walmart, or Staples. The price will vary depending on where you purchase the skin and who manufactured it. Skins that are less fancy can be found at Walmart, starting as low as $7.69; while CDW offers laptop skins for as much as $79. Irrespective of the price, it is a small price to pay as opposed to replacing the MacBook.
Keep Liquids Away
At the end of the day, you’ve recovered the MacBook from water damage, purchased a waterproof skin to protect it and you’re ready to go. There are a few other things you can do reduce the likelihood of the water spill happening again, and one is to remove the liquids from the areas you work in.
Don’t allow open containers with liquids near your desk. Get in the habit of removing any liquid-filled containers, or at best, use beverage cups with a tight seal cap to prevent spills. One other thing is to make suer your data is backed up in the event that you can’t save your data. This way, if the MacBook must be replaced, you haven’t lost your data.
Contact Apple Support
If you spilled water on your MacBook and you are still not sure what actions to take after reading this article, you can contact Apple Support or the Genius Bar for assistance.