Yelp is an online directory that you can use to find all sorts of businesses like bars, restaurants, barber shops, convenience stores, and whatever else you might have in your town. Yelp is a website, but you can also download the app on your iOS or Android devices as well. The businesses are listed on the site by type and you can filter out places based on location, price, delivery, whether they have reservations, or even if they have indoor/outdoor seating.
Yelp is geared towards everyone giving their review of places they have been with a small description of their experience and a rating between 1 and 5 stars, and you can even post pictures. When you have an account on Yelp, you can actually link your Facebook list of friends and your address book list of friends to add people to your Yelp friends list.
The reviews people leave on Yelp can be reviewed by other users and popular reviewers can be bumped to a special rank of Yelp Elite to show that they are to be taken seriously.
How to Write a Review on Yelp
1. You start by search for the business name in the search bar in the Yelp app or on the Yelp website
2. When you find the business you are looking to review, you will see 5 gray star icons that you can tap to rate the business
3. Now, you can type whatever you would like as a Yelp review or you can dictate your review which is a handy tool to have
4. You can view other reviews of the business by tapping the single star icon next to the camera
5. If you have taken a picture of the great view or amazing food somewhere and want to add it to your Yelp review you can
6. You need to tap the camera icon, then tap Attach Photos
7. Here you can choose to take a new photo or to take one from your device storage
8. Now, you can add a short description to your photo to describe what is in the photo and to help categorize it
9. Next, tap Done and look through your review and make sure it is what you want and then tap Post Review
10. Your review will then be posted on that businesses profile on the Yelp app and website both, though your photo may take up to 24 hours to be approved by Yelp before it is posted along with your review
How to Add a Business on Yelp
Sometimes, you won’t be able to find a business on Yelp which can be due to a couple reasons. The business might have switched locations, or Yelp just hasn’t added the business to their listings yet.
When you run into this issue, Yelp actually allows anyone to add a business to their directory. The best way to add a new business is on the Yelp app. You should keep in mind that just because you attempt to add a business to the Yelp directory does not mean that it will be accepted by Yelp.
It can take up to 48 hours to be approved and might be rejected if some of the info that you provided is incorrect.
1. Start by opening the Yelp app and tapping the search bar
2. You don’t want to type anything in, just hit Search
3. Scroll down until you see the “Can’t find what you’re looking for? Add a business” option
4. There are two categories to choose from which are employee/owner that says “I work at the business” or customer that says “I’m a customer”. In this case you will be choosing the customer option
5. You now need to fill in as much info about the business as you can, which includes name, address, phone number, and website info. Some of the info is required but not all of it, though the more info you list, the better chance that your submission will be accepted
6. Tap Send and then wait to see if it gets approved which should take 1 or 2 days to show up on Yelp