During your use of social media platforms, you will come across several memes, slangs, euphemisms, and other unique ways that people use to express themselves in fun, creative, cultural, and entertaining ways.
The truth is that some of these memes and slangs are quite easy to figure out, while others will leave you scratching your head. And you don’t want to appear uninformed, do you!
That’s why in this article, which is part of my series on explaining internet memes, slangs, and expressions, I will be explaining to you in detail the meaning of the popular expression, “what is blud waffling about”.
What Does What is Blud Waffling About Mean?
The phrase “what is blud waffling about” is a colloquial and slang expression, often used in British English. To understand its meaning, I think it’s best to break it down in bits and explain each bit.
- Blud: In this context, “blud” is a slang term derived from the word “blood.” It’s often used informally to address a friend, acquaintance, or sometimes just a person in a casual manner.
Although blud is popularized by British urban populations, it has its origins from the Caribbean, Jamaica especially.
- Waffling: “Waffling” is a colloquial term that means talking excessively or at length about something, often without a clear purpose or in a rambling and unfocused way.
So, when someone says “what is blud waffling about,” they are essentially expressing that someone (referred to as “Blud”) is talking a lot or talking in a manner that is unclear, possibly about a topic that may not be very interesting or relevant to the listener. It’s a way of conveying that the person is engaged in a lengthy or uninteresting conversation.
The above is the strict and original meaning of the expression, what is blud waffling about. However, it is oftentimes used more playfully than as a serious or derogatory expression.
So, when you hear or read, what is blud waffling about, it is more likely used in a humorous way or as a form of banter, rather than an expression of actual frustration.
It is important to note that the term “blud” is an informal slang, and it may not be appropriate to use in all contexts. It is also important to be aware that the phrase “blud waffling about” could be interpreted as offensive by some people.
Where Did What is Blud Originate From?
The term “blud” is now a British slang term for “brother” or “friend.”
- However, it did evolve from being originally a Jamaican swear word, blud. It is thought to have originated in the Caribbean community in the United Kingdom in the 1960s. The term is now widely used in British slang, particularly among young people.
- It is often used informally to refer to a friend or acquaintance. It does not mean a literal blood relation. Also, it is only used to refer to men or males in general. So, you are very unlikely to see a female referred to as blud in any context…at least in the current use of the word.
The exact origin and timeline of its usage are not well-documented, but it has been part of the urban slang and dialect in various British communities, especially in London and other urban areas.
- Even though the term “blud” is often used in a friendly way, it can also be used in a derogatory way. For example, someone might call someone a “blud” if they are being disrespectful or annoying. It could be part of a warning or unfriendly exchange with the offending person.
- The term “blud” is also sometimes used in a humorous way. For example, someone might say “blud, what are you doing?” to a friend who is acting strangely.
In urban slang and youth culture, words and phrases often undergo changes and adaptations, and “Blud” is an example of how language evolves within specific communities. It’s commonly used as a friendly or informal way to address someone, similar to how “mate” or “buddy” might be used in other English-speaking regions.
Overall, the term “blud” is a versatile British slang term that can be used in a variety of ways. It is important to be aware of the context in which the term is being used before using it yourself.