Snapchat wouldn’t be a social media platform if it didn’t give you the option of quickly adding friends. After all, the point of Snapchat is being able to socialize with people you’re familiar with and make new ones along the way.
Snapchat, as a whole, is more refined with its attempts at socialization; there’s a more personal connection with those you speak with, a more intimate connection. And one way of doing that is giving Snapchat users the ability to add friends, not just in one way, but with several methods. One such method of adding friends is the “Quick Add” method.
What is Quick Add?
Quick Add, on the surface, is exactly what it advertises: a quick add button that allows you to quickly add a friend. However, its application is different compared to the other ways of adding friends. Quick Add is as much a button as it is an algorithm, coming up with suggestions to friends based on variables only it understands.
You see, when you befriend someone on Snapchat, you are the one making the decision. You are the one looking these people up because you have a history with them. There isn’t an algorithm involved; it’s just you.
If you’re familiar with Facebook, you may have noticed a menu that appears occasionally. It’s the feature “People You May Know” and you’ll see it often. Quick Add is, essentially, that feature, except the idea is implemented in Snapchat.
How Are Friends Added on Snapchat?
As it was mentioned before, Snapchat offers several ways of amassing friends on Snapchat. It isn’t satisfied with giving its users the ability to search for someone and then befriending that someone. It takes it to the next level by adding not one, not two, not three, but four different ways of adding friends: usernames, Quick Add, your contacts and a Snapcode.
Adding Friends with Usernames
The most common of the four methods and one you will probably use the most. Everyone has a username on Snapchat and that name can be searched by using the search bar at the top of the screen, when you’re using Snapchat.
1. Locate and launch the Snapchat app. Its icon is a white “ghost” against a neon yellow backdrop. Look for the Snapchat app somewhere on one of your home screens. If it isn’t there, check inside your App Drawer where all your currently installed apps are housed.
For iOS users, you won’t have an App Drawer. If you can’t find the Snapchat app, you could be swiping past it. Double-check inside app folders as well.
2. When you’re on the camera screen, tap the search bar at the top. When your virtual keyboard appears, simply type in the name of the person you want to befriend. But remember, you have to be very specific and type in the entire name. Snapchat will not do the work for you. Usernames are case sensitive, like passwords can be on some websites.
3. Tap the person’s profile picture.
4. Select + Add Friend. Before you two can interact with one another, the befriending has to be mutual. In other words, they need to add you as a friend before any interaction can take pace.
Adding Friends from your Contacts
This method can be your lifesaver if you can’t find a friend on Snapchat, especially if you can’t find a friend using their username. It’s because Snapchat ties accounts to a person’s phone number. After all, you can’t sign up to Snapchat until you provide a valid phone number. By using your contacts as a jumping off point, Snapchat will let you know who has a Snapchat account associated with your contact’s number.
1. Select your profile picture in the top left corner of the screen. This will open your profile page.
2. Select Add Friends, located just below your profile picture.
3. Just below the search bar, there’s a tab labeled All Contacts. Tap it.
4. Snapchat will list any contacts that have a Snapchat account linked to their phone number under “Friends on Snapchat”. To the right of their username, tap Add.
Adding Friends with a Snapcode
Everyone has a unique Snapcode. If you’ve bought something from a store before, that should give you an idea of how Snapcodes work. You can present your Snapcode to someone and they can then scan it with Snapchat to add you as a friend. Of course, you add them as well.
1. All you do is point your camera at an individual’s Snapcode when they show it to you, while you’re using Snapchat. Snapchat will automatically recognize it.
2. You’ll get a window, presenting the person’s username. Tap Add Friend.
3. To show yours off to someone, tap your profile picture in the top left corner of the screen.
4. Tap your profile picture at the top to enlarge your Snapcode and let someone scan it.
Adding Friends with Quick Add
1. Tap the search bar at the top of the camera screen, while you’re using Snapchat.
2. Without typing names, scroll down. You’ll see a section called “Quick Add”. The individuals listed are suggestions from Snapchat, based on people you’ve befriended. Tap + Add to attempt a connection.