There are many people who have Facebook and Messenger accounts. One cannot survive without the other. But what if you or someone you follow has deactivated their Messenger account?
Although the process is familiar, what will the deactivated account look like? This has been a question burning in the back pockets of many Messenger users.
Well, in this guide, you are about to learn what a deactivated account looks like, how to tell if someone has deactivated the account, and some technical issues that can contribute to the illusion of an account looking like it’s been deactivated. Let’s get started!
What Does a Deactivated Messenger Account Look Like?
First off, when a Messenger account has been deactivated, the profile picture of that user will no longer be visible. Along with the profile picture disappearing, their name will no longer show on Facebook.
If someone has a deactivated account, their name shows the words “Facebook User”.
Am I Blocked, or Did They Deactivate Their Messenger Account?
Whenever someone sees the term “Facebook user” next to someone’s name in the Messenger threads, the initial reaction is to assume that the user has blocked you. Sometimes, that may not always be the case.
The difference between being blocked and the user deactivating their account is that if you attempted to search for the person with the “Facebook user” term next to their name using a different account, and if the profile of the person shows up, then you know you have been blocked.
However, if you search for that same user the same way and you notice nothing is coming up, then it’s most likely they have deactivated their account.
A blocked account will show profile information but just not visible to you. Whereas a deactivated account will show nothing for all users connected to or not connected to them.
For the next part of this guide, let’s get ready to dive in to understand and know some ways how you can tell if someone has deactivated their Messenger account. When you utilize the following methods, you will be surprised with your discovery.
How to Tell If Someone Deactivated Their Messenger
Whenever someone deactivates their messenger account, it is very unexpected. And although it is very unexpected, certain people want to know how you can tell if someone has deactivated their messenger.
Well, there are some quick nifty ways that you can discover and investigate this situation.
You can try to search their name, check to see if it says Facebook user instead of their name and their thread, check to see if their profile picture has disappeared, and be sure to check to see if your messages are going through or if they are not.
Wanting to know if you are blocked or if they have deactivated their account is an age-old question for Facebook and Messenger users. So, to kill that curiosity, let’s go ahead and dive into these methods starting with the very first one!
1. Try and Search For Their Name
For this first alternative, you can’t attempt to try and search for their name on the Facebook app. Most likely, if that person has deactivated their account, you would not be able to locate them or find them in any way.
To search for the person’s name on Facebook, you would do the following:
1. If you are using a personal device such as a cell phone or tablet, first, you must open the Facebook app on your device.
2. After the application is open, tap on the search bar located at the top of the screen and begin typing in the person’s name.
3. After the name of the person has been typed correctly, tap on the search icon to begin searching for that individual.
If you decide to use a PC, you will navigate to facebook.com and log into your Facebook account using your credentials.
After searching for the person on your personal device or PC, if the user’s information and profile do not appear, the user has deactivated their account, and you will not be able to locate their account.
2. When You Go Back to Your Conversation, It Says Facebook User Instead of Their Name
For this next method, you will need to have complete access to your Facebook Messenger app.
To see if someone has deactivated their account, open your Facebook Messenger app on your device. Once the application is open, you should be able to navigate to the person you are searching for quickly.
If the person hasn’t deactivated their account, you should be able to see the profile picture of the person that you were looking for.
However, if you do not see the profile picture nor did you see the person’s name, you will see the term Facebook user next to a blank profile icon. This is a prime indicator that the person has deactivated their account from Messenger and Facebook.
3. Their Profile Picture Disappeared
This next alternative way to find out if someone has deactivated their account is similar to the previous method. The only opposition is that you are searching for the profile picture instead of the name this time.
If you want to know if someone has deactivated their account, you can check this information in some handy ways.
You can log into your Facebook account and search for the person that way, or you can open the Facebook Messenger app and locate the individual on messenger.
To check to see if the person’s profile picture has disappeared by using the Facebook Messenger app, you will proceed with the following steps:
1. First, you will open Facebook Messenger on your device or PC.
2. Once logged in, scroll to the last message that you have exchanged with that person. When you have located the icon that is supposed to be visible, if that person has not deactivated their account, you will be able to see their profile picture immediately.
3. However, if that person has deactivated their account, you will not be able to see the profile picture of that user.
The profile picture, just like the name on the person’s profile, is connected to the person’s Facebook account.
So, if you cannot see the person’s username or the profile name they have for their account, you will also not be able to see the profile picture that is connected to the Facebook account of that person.
4. Your Messages Stop Going Through to Them
This next alternative is a very obvious alternative. For this next option to look into will allow you not to become oblivious to the fact of being blocked by that person and understand they may have deactivated their account.
One way for you to test this theory is for you to try to send a message to that person. If you’re attempting to message the individual and the message does not go through, there is a strong possibility that the person has deactivated their account.
You can attempt to do this through your device or using a PC.
Before you attempt to send a message, there are a couple of things to look out for. The first thing to observe is to ensure that you are able to see the person’s name in messenger.
The next perspective to be on the lookout for is to ensure that you are able to see the profile picture of that person. If you are able to see one or the other, you can attempt to send a message to see if it will go through.
However, if you are not able to see either one, you can attempt to send a message, but there is a strong possibility that message may not go through since this is an indication that the person has deactivated their account or has blocked you on Facebook.
If Someone Deactivates Their Messenger, Can You Still Search For Them?
No, you would not be able to search for the person if they have deactivated their account.
After someone has deactivated their Facebook Messenger account, the account is completely erased from the Messenger application.
For all of you that want to know if your Facebook account can survive without the Messenger app, you can have a Facebook account without having a Messenger account.
The only way that Facebook will not be able to survive without your Messenger app is if you have constant communication with friends and connections on Facebook.
And these friends and connections would prefer to reach out to you through Facebook Messenger instead.
And most likely, if you don’t have the Messenger app when setting up your Facebook account when you tap on the messages icon on your Facebook home screen, you will be prompted to set up a Messenger account to communicate with these friends on Facebook.
But, back to the topic at hand. After someone deactivates their Messenger account, you will not be able to search for them on Messenger. However, if they still have a Facebook account, you will be able to search for them on Facebook.
The only difference is you won’t be able to message them. You can leave them comments on their posts or replies. But, you would not be able to contact them through messages to converse with them outside of their replies and comments.
They May Not Have Deactivated. The Following May Have Happened Instead:
1. Check If Messenger Is Down
This is the last thing on planet Earth anyone wants to hear. To get a notification that an app is down will cause you to throw the world’s biggest fit. If the server for an app is down, there is little that we do to resolve the issue.
When an application or website isn’t working as it should, such as Messenger, it is possibly due to the server for that app or website currently being down.
This can make users give up on using the app. So, the only option to accept is to wait for the server of the Messenger app to come back up.
It’s prevalent for internal issues to come about, even for applications such as Messenger. In that case, the app developers will notify consumers via email, letting them know there is an ongoing issue and that they are working hard to resolve the problem as quickly as possible.
So, don’t give up and fret over the server is down. In the meantime, if you have connected with the person you’re looking for on other social media platforms, you can connect with them from other platforms if you wish.
2. Check Your Internet Connection
If you encounter any aggravating issues, such as trying to connect with someone you feel has deactivated their Messenger account, it is also always essential to check your internet connection. If you are using a Wi-Fi signal, try resetting your modem.
Before you reset the modem, log out of your Messenger account first. Once you are logged out, then proceed with resetting your modem. The reset process may take a couple of minutes.
After the modem is reset and you are connected to your device, log back into your Messenger account using your credentials and attempt to see if you can send a message.
Overall, your internet connection is the heart that keeps the signal pumping through the veins of your devices. Sometimes taking care of the connection issue will get your app back running to its’ full potential.
Sometimes, if you are not able to connect with a user on Messenger, you feel as deactivated their account. To isolate the issue further, it could be due to an issue with the personal device that you are using.
If you are a consumer who is connected to a Wi-Fi signal, you need to disconnect from your Wi-Fi signal and reconnect again.
If you are using an Android, to disconnect from your Wi-Fi signal, you must:
1. On your home screen, take your finger, scroll from the top, and pull down until you see a button bar at the top.
2. You will see buttons for your internet connection, data connection, Bluetooth connection, flashlight, rotation, etc.
3. If you are connected to Wi-Fi, the button for the Wi-Fi connection will be highlighted in a particular color showing that you are connected.
4. The Wi-Fi connection would be named or titled.
5. Tap on the Wi-Fi connection, and the button will no longer be highlighted. Once the highlight disappears, that is a sign that you are not connected to Wi-Fi.
6. Leave the connection off for about 3 to 5 minutes.
7. After 3 to 5 minutes have passed, tap the Wi-Fi button again so the button will highlight again, showing that you are now connected to the Wi-Fi signal.
If you are using an iOS device, to turn off your Wi-Fi connection, you must:
1. From your home screen, go to settings and then tap Wi-Fi.
2. If your Wi-Fi is turned on, tap it to disconnect the signal.
3. The Wi-Fi network would be named in your Wi-Fi settings.
4. Follow the same protocol for waiting 3 to 5 minutes before reconnecting the Wi-Fi signal and then reconnecting the signal once more.
After reconnecting back to your internet signal, you can attempt to locate and message the person on Messenger again. If the issue persists, if you are using a VPN, you might want to disconnect from that connection to see if that’s causing the problem.
A VPN provides an encrypted server and highs your IP address from corporations, government agencies, and possible hackers.
If you are connected to a VPN connection, this may be the cause of why you are still wondering if a user has deactivated their account or blocked you.
If you are connected to a VPN connection and you are looking to disconnect the VPN, for Android users, you must:
1. First, log out of your Messenger account.
2. Go to your phone’s settings and look for the network and internet or connections menu
3. Tap on VPN and select the VPN profile.
4. Depending on your phone’s manufacturer, you may see a toggle switch, in which case toggle off the VPN, or if you are prompted with a disconnect button, disconnect the VPN using that button.
To disconnect the VPN for iOS users, you must:
1. First, log out of your Messenger account.
2. Tap the VPN slider near the top of the settings app to disconnect from the VPN. Another way to disconnect from the VPN and the settings you will go under settings, then tap General, and select VPN.
3. To disconnect the VPN, tap the status option at the top of the page and then set it to the off position.
4. Once you have disconnected from your VPN on your Android or iOS device, this should allow your Wi-Fi and cellular data to have smoother functionality. In other words, disconnecting the VPN allows less interference when using your Messenger app.
After disconnecting the VPN, you can log back into your Messenger account and attempt to locate the user you are looking for and message them.
3. Messenger Might Have A Bug
Bugs are weird little things. Yes, we are talking about technical bugs. Having a tech bug is just the worse. Whenever there is a bug with the app you are using, this can slow down the flow of the app and its features.
Usually, when this happens, you can get rid of the issue with simple troubleshooting steps that you can perform on your own.
Some of those steps include clearing the cache storage, updating the app to the latest version, reinstalling the application on your device, contacting support for further inquiry, or waiting for the developers to release a resolution to fix the problem.
Logging entirely out and then back in is a way to reset the app. This will allow you to reset the app’s flow without turning your device off and back on.
After you have logged out of your Messenger account, locate the user to see if they have deactivated their account. If you have logged back in and see there is no profile picture and their name is re-stated as “Facebook user”, then they have deactivated their account.
You can also attempt to update the app to get rid of any internal bugs. Updating your app constantly improves the speed of the app, as well as maneuvering within the app to check messages, comments, and send messages.
An update will defeat the problem without a doubt.
To update your Messenger app on your iOS device, you can follow these simple steps:
1. Open your app store on your iPhone.
2. Tap these search icons and search for the Messenger app.
3. Once you have located the Messenger app, it will show the application is installed. Once the application is installed, you will also be able to see if an update is available.
4. If you see a button that says update next to the title Messenger, tap the update button, and the app will immediately update.
5. Once the Messenger app has officially updated, you can attempt to sign back into your account to see if you see if the person, has deactivated their account.
Performing an update is a simple system reboot of the app. This will remove any bugs or internal issues with the application so you can continue enjoying all this app offers.
For Android consumers, you can update the Messenger app by doing the following:
1. Open the Google Play Store
2. In the search bar, type in the search bar “Messenger” to locate the Messenger app in your stored apps.
3. Once you have located the Messenger app, underneath the application, you will see an option to uninstall or update.
4. Tap the Update option.
5. The app will automatically start to update.
6. Once the app has updated, navigate back to the app on your home screen or your app drawer and open the app.
You can also clear your app’s cache to remove bugs for the Messenger app.
To clear out your cache, you must do the following:
If you are using an Android device:
1. Go into your device settings and to apps.
2. Once your app’s window is open, locate the Messenger application.
3. Open the Messenger settings; you will see options to force close, clear data, and clear cache.
4. You will select the option to clear the cache.
5. To be safe, once your cache is removed, it would be best to force close the app if the application was previously opened.
6. After the cache is cleared and the app is forced closed, reopen the Messenger app, navigate to your message threads, and see if you can locate a certain user to see if they have deactivated their account.
Caches can sneak up on you when you least expect it. Many people pay this no mind because they only focus on using the rather than how much storage is being used from the app. Better yet, people don’t focus on how the storage is used, either.
So, if you want this app to operate correctly, you might have to clean the house on your cache storage. If that doesn’t resolve this aggravating problem, attempt the next alternative to see what can be done.
Whenever someone deactivates their Messenger account, it is very unexpected since they will not let anyone know that they are deactivating their account. Sometimes, this is a very private matter.
At other times, if this person has a mass following of people, they will notify the followers by creating a post so that everyone is aware beforehand.
However, if that is not the case, there are some instances that you can look into to see if the person has deactivated their account or if they have blocked you.
If you want to know if someone has deactivated their account, you can try to search for their name, although you may not be able to find them.
Also, you can navigate back to your previous conversations to see if it says “Facebook user” instead of their name on their thread, see if their profile picture is blank, or try to send a message to see if your messages will go through.
And if you feel that the issue is more internal and software related, there are some handy dandy steps that you can utilize to resolve those buggy issues.
Whatever the case appears to be, you have this information at your disposal!