Multitasking has always eluded mobile devices, whether it’s a mobile phone or tablet. Computers are, quite frankly, superior when it comes to multitasking. The ability to resize windows and have multiple instances of programs running at once is a dream mobile devices have often. But that isn’t the case anymore.
Picture-in-Picture Mode is the answer to multitasking. While not as robust as a computer, you can still watch Netflix while surfing the web or playing a mindless app. But how is it done? How do you watch Netflix in Picture-in-Picture mode?
Let’s answer that question!
Enabling Picture-in-Picture Mode for Android
Before you can watch Netflix with Picture-in-Picture mode, you have to first enable it. Picture-in-Picture mode isn’t enabled by default, but it is a relatively simple task to perform.
Here’s what you do:
1. Locate and launch the Settings app.
2. In the Settings menu, locate and select the menu option Apps and or Apps & Notifications. The menu option will change depending on your device.
3. Scroll down the Apps & Notifications menu until you come to Advanced. Tap it to reveal more options.
4. In the new menu options revealed, choose Special App Access.
5. In the Special App Access menu, locate and select Picture-in-Picture. Because there’s so many options available for Picture-in-Picture mode, you may miss it. Take your time locating Netflix.
6. When you’ve found Netflix, select it. Find “Allow picture-in-picture” and move the slider to the right to enable it.
7. Now that Picture-in-Picture mode has been enabled, you can now take advantage of it on your device.
8. Locate and open the Netflix app.
9. Navigate the Netflix menu to a movie or TV show you wish to watch. Go ahead and select it. Afterwards, play the video in full screen.
10. Since Picture-in-Picture mode has been enabled, you can tap the home screen while Netflix is running and Netflix will appear in a small box in the corner of your screen.
You can continue using your device as Netflix plays your chosen movie and or TV show. You can move it around your screen by pressing and holding your finger on the small window and then drag it around the screen.
Enabling Picture-in-Picture Mode for iOS
Enabling Picture-in-Picture mode on iOS is far more streamlined and doesn’t have you fiddling with so many menus, unlike Android.
1. Locate and launch the Netflix app.
2. In the Settings menu, scroll down until you come to General, located in the left hand column.
3. In the General menu, choose Multitasking & Dock.
4. In the Multitasking & Dock menu, you’ll see Picture-in-Picture. Move the slider to the right to enable it.
5. Launch Netflix and play a movie and or TV show you wish to watch. When the content has been launched in fullscreen, you’ll see the Picture-in-Picture icon in the upper right corner.