When one company butts heads with another company with a similar goal, they tend to play in their own sandbox. In the case of Amazon and Google, the two tried to draw a line in the sand with neither allowing the other to cross. Without Chromecast support for Amazon Prime Video, it was, ultimately, a blow to Amazon. Tensions between the two grew as support for YouTube on Fire devices was cut. But since then, and as of July, 2019, the two have covered the line between them and finally shared their toys in one big sandbox. And the world couldn’t be happier.
So, now that you have the option to use your Chromecast as a big screen for Amazon Prime Video, you’ll need to know how to cast it, right? Lucky you because all the steps can be found below. Set some time aside because there’s a few hoops, easy hoops, but tedious. Thankfully, the biggest hassle only needs to be done once and then after that it’s easy as pie to revisit Amazon Prime Video on your Chromecast.
What You’ll Need Beforehand…
Before you can do any kind of casting to your Chromecast, not only will you need a strong enough network connection, but both your mobile device or computer and your Chromecast will need to share the same network connection. If you have your computer connected to one network connection and your Chromecast on another network connection, you will be unable to cast your device to Chromecast. Make sure they’re using the same network connection.
Mobile Device Versions
If you have an Android device or an iOS device, great, you’ll be able to cast your screen, with Amazon Prime Video running, to your Chromecast. However, provided that your Android device is at the very least version 5.0 and your iOS device should be, at the very least, version 10.1. Anything less and you can run into problems.
Update your Chromecast Device
Of course, you should update your Chromecast device, if there’s one available, so that you get the best viewing experience with minimal issues. Not only that, but you’ll need to make sure your Chromecast device is updated to the version that includes the support for Amazon Prime Video. If isn’t updated to that version, you’ll be unable to cast Amazon Prime Video from your mobile device or computer to your Chromecast device.
Steps to updating your Chromecast device will be provided below, under the section, “Updating your Chromecast Device.”
Installing Amazon Prime Video to your Mobile Device
For Android Devices
1. Locate and launch the Google Play Store app.
2. In the Google Play Store, look to the top of the screen. Select the search bar and, when the virtual keyboard appears, type into the empty field “Amazon Prime Video” and then select it from the search results.
3. On the Amazon app’s information page, tap INSTALL or ENABLE.
For iOS Device
1. Locate and launch the App Store.
2. In the App Store, tap the Search tab at the bottom right corner of the screen. Afterwards, when the search bar appears, select if and type “Amazon Prime Video.” Below the search bar, select the app from the search results.
3. On the app’s information page, go ahead and select GET and then INSTALL.
How to Update Chromecast
In order to get the best possible experience when casting Amazon Prime Video to your Chromecast device, you’ll need to update your Chromecast device. Not only is it a good idea to keep it up-to-date, but if your Chromecast device hasn’t been updated in awhile, say, before the support for Amazon Prime Video was rolled out, then you will not be able to cast Amazon Prime Video until after your Chromecast device has been updated.
But before you can do that, you’ll need to install the Google Home app. That’s where you’ll have the option to update it. Normally, Google rolls out updates to Chromecast devices automatically. However, that isn’t always the case and sometimes your device gets left in the dust. No problem because it’s an easy fix.
Before you update, make sure your Chromecast device is actually on.
1. Locate and launch the Google Home app. Since it was just installed, you’ll find it on your home screen.
2. In the Google Home, find your Chromecast device and select it. If your Chromecast device is broadcasting and on the same network connection, you’ll see it listed.
3. In the top right corner of the screen, you’ll a gear icon. That’s your Device Settings. Go ahead and select it.
4. In your Device Settings, tap the three vertical dots in the top right corner of the screen. It will open a menu. In the menu, choose Reboot. Doing so will shut your Chromecast device down and then restart it. If any firmware updates are ready to roll, your Chromecast device will download them and install them automatically. Give it time to finish the process. It will boot back up when it’s finished.
Casting Amazon Prime Video via Mobile Device
1. Locate and launch the Amazon Prime Video app, which can be found by searching your home screens or inside your App Drawer where all apps are stored.
2. Log into Amazon Prime Video with a valid Amazon account, if you aren’t already logged in.
3. Now, if you haven’t noticed already, there’s a “Cast” icon located in the bottom right corner of your screen. It looks like a box with a Wi-Fi symbol in the corner. Tap the Cast icon.
4. Next you’ll want to choose your Chromecast device. Since both your mobile device and Chromecast are on the same network connection, you’ll find it listed.
5. Finally, choose a movie or television show you have a desire to binge and it will automatically cast to your Chromecast.
Installing Google Chrome on your Personal Computer
1. Open your preferred web browser and head on over to Google Chrome’s homepage, which is where you’ll find the download link.
2. On Google Chrome’s homepage, click Download Chrome. Google Chrome will give you a setup.exe that works for your operating system, whether that’s Windows, Mac OS, and Linux (64 bit).
3. When the Google Chrome setup.exe has been successfully downloaded, run the setup.exe. You can do so by double-clicking it or you can right click and click Open or select it at the bottom of your browser (Windows) and choose Open.
4. When prompted by the setup.exe, choose to run the setup on your computer. Follow the very minimalist installation guide and, after a few moments, Google Chrome will install itself onto your computer.
If you can’t find the Google Chrome setup.exe, check inside your Downloads folder on your computer, which is where all downloaded files go by default.
Casting Amazon Prime Video via Personal Computer
So, now that you have Google Chrome, which is the only surefire way of casting to your Chromecast, then you are ready to start casting Amazon Prime Video. If you haven’t installed Google Chrome yet, you can do so with the steps in the section above.
Let’s get started:
1. Launch the Google Chrome web browser and make your way to Amazon Prime Video’s website.
2. Log into Amazon Prime Video with a valid Amazon account.
3. FInd a movie or television show you would like to watch and start it, but DO NOT make it fullscreen just yet.
4. In the top right corner of Google Chrome, click Customize and control Google Chrome, represented by three vertical dots. Clicking it will open a drop down menu. In the drop down menu, find Cast… and click it.
5. GIve Google Chrome a moment to find your Chromecast device and before you do, click Cast to. Choose to only cast to your tab. Then choose your Chromecast device.
6. Make some popcorn and enjoy your show.
That wasn’t so bad, was it? There’s definitely a few hoops to jump through to get it up and running, but to be fair, you only have to do it once. With your Chromecast device already updated to support Amazon Prime Video, any updates your Chromecast is behind on is negligible and you can just let it update automatically.
Now that the border has been removed, how are you spending your time with Chromecast and Amazon Prime Video?