The issue of the Menu not working on Vizio TVs has been reported a few times and many users are left wondering how to address this problem. When this problem affects your TV, you are not able to access or use the menu function.
This is a problem that leaves a user disappointed since they are not able to access many of the settings. The Menu provides room for several actions on a TV and when it is not working it can be a disappointing situation.
However, one unique thing about this problem is that it can be caused by several factors.
Why is My Menu Not Working on My Vizio TV?
If your Vizio TV menu is not working, first note that several factors could be causing this problem. Although most of the factors leading to this problem are related to the power supply, they do not end there. In this article, you will learn more about the problem and explore all the possible reasons your Vizio TV’s Menu is not working.
The best way to work on this issue is to go through all the possible factors and troubleshoot each step. Here, you will also learn about the different methods to troubleshoot such problems.
1. Bug or Software Malfunction
When electronic devices are made, they function very well but they are prone to errors and failures. This also applies to devices using software applications. In some cases, devices such as smartphones or computers will experience technical errors known as bugs.
The main challenge about bugs is that they can occur out of nowhere. Bugs can appear on your devices for no reason and make certain functions fail.
This is the same case that can apply to your Vizio TV. With modern TVs using complex components and advanced software, there are chances of bugs or any other type of malfunction.
However, the good part is that most of these bugs or malfunctioning are not permanent. In most cases, they are issues that can go away independently. For others, you must carry out specific actions to clear out the bugs.
Below, you will find a list of some things you should do to handle the bugs issue on your Vizio TV when the Menu is not working.
Fix – Restart TV with Remote
A restart of your Vizio TV is one of the methods that will be able to address the problem of the Menu not working. Restarting has been known as a popular method of resolving the issue of bugs in many devices, whether smartphones or computers. As a result, this process will work on your Vizio TV.
Restarting your TV will clear all the currently running applications and functions and start everything over again.
By doing this, you will manage to clear any bugs stuck in the systems and causing this issue. Here are the steps to follow to start your Vizio TV using a remote.
1. Start by making sure that your remote is close to your TV and that there are no obstacles that might interfere with the signal.
2. The next step is to press the “power button” on the remote. Once you press it, the TV will go off.
3. You will have to wait for a few seconds about 30. Once the 30 seconds are over, go ahead and press the remote’s power button all over again and the TV will turn back on again.
4. The press is over. Now go and check whether the Menu is working.
Fix 1 – Unplug the TV and hold Power Button for 30 Seconds
This is the second method you should use in case the first restart method does not work. This method works as a tool to perform a soft reset on your Vizio TV. This process does not interfere with any of the data on your TV. The only thing that happens is that it will clear all the running systems and they will come back on again.
Here is how to do it.
1. Make sure that the TV is still on.
2. Now, unplug the power cord.
3. Press the “Power button” on the TV and hold it for 30 secs.
4. Once the 30 secs are over, release the power button.
5. Now, plug the TV power cord in and turn it on.
6. You should check to see whether the Menu is now working.
Fix 2 – Unplug and Plug TV in After 60 Seconds
For many electronic devices, and those that have software executing commands, bugs can easily build up within the system. These bugs can be created over a long time as the device carries various functions.
When such bugs become too many, they can cause problems or errors in the operation of the device. However, soft reset actions can be used to clear them. So, if the previous methods have not worked in returning the menu functionality on your Vizio TV, follow the steps below.
1. First, make sure that the TV is on before you carry out this process.
2. Unplug the power cord from your TV.
3. Wait for 60 seconds without doing anything on the TV.
4. Plug the power cord back in.
5. Now turn on the TV and check the Menu to see if the problem is resolved.
Fix 4 – Wait for Problem to Go Away
Have you ever experienced a problem with your smartphone or computer-like freezing that you did not do anything to fix but it went away on its own? If you have, that was a bug or a simple malfunction in the system.
Unknown to many, these bugs are common to various devices and your Vizio TV is not any different. As discussed earlier, most of the bugs are temporary issues that go away within a short time. So, one of the ways to fix the problem of the Vizio TV menu not working is to wait and let it go away.
However, this method has a downside. You cannot be 100% sure that it is a bug that will go away after some time. You are not also sure of how long it will take for the bug to go away. In some cases, you may end up waiting for a few minutes. In other cases, you may wait for several hours.
Nevertheless, if you have time, you can wait.
Fix 6 – Reset TV to Factory Default
A factory reset is another method you can use to eliminate the bugs or any malfunctioning on your Vizio TV. However, for this method, you will clear all the data and settings on your TV. By carrying out this operation, you remove everything, and your TV will go to its state when you first bought it.
However, you can use two methods to reset your Vizio TV to factory default. Below are the methods to use.
Reset Vizio TV without using a remote.
1. Ensure your Vizio TV is still on.
2. Next, press the “Volume Down and Input” buttons simultaneously. The buttons are found at the back of your TV.
3. Keep holding on to the buttons for 10 to 15 seconds.
4. A prompt message will be displayed on the screen. Select “Reset TV” by pressing the “input button”.
5. Wait for the TV to turn off and it will restart automatically after a few seconds.
6. Once the process is done and the TV is one, you should go to the Menu and check whether it is working.
Reset Vizio TV with a remote.
1. Press the “Menu button” on your Vizio TV remote.
2. Next, use the navigation arrows, go to System and select.
3. Scroll to “Reset & Admin” then press OK.
4. Now go to the “Reset TV to Factory Defaults” and press the OK option to confirm.
5. You will be asked to provide a password. Automatically this should be (0000).
6. Select “Reset” and confirm with OK,
7. You should then wait for the TV to turn off and after a few seconds, it will turn back on.
8. Go to the menu section and check how it works.
Fix 7 – Contact Vizio
Like all manufacturers and companies, Vizio TV has a channel for you to contact the support team. The good part about contacting the support team is that they know so many things and they will help you understand. So, for this step, you can choose to call them or use their contact website.
2. Issue with Remote
As much as your Vizio TV remote is a crucial part of the TV, sometimes it can fail. Any issues with your remote will easily affect your TV.
The remote is supposed to control the TV and if there are any errors they can affect how the TV operates by bringing up unexpected commands and affecting things like the Menu.
Think about it like this. What would happen if the remote happened to activate various button commands due to hardware or software? It happens in some cases. This means that the TV would do functions such as increasing the volume on its own because of the remote malfunction.
So, this is a possible situation and you need to handle it asap.
Fix – Restart Remote
The process of restarting the remote on a Vizio TV is always simple. It is not a complicated process as all you have to do is to remove the batteries in the remote and give it a few seconds, then put the batteries back on and check how it works.
The process will be good as it will help clear any bugs in the remote and get it back to a factory reset manner. Once it starts operating fresh, it should be able to get rid of any bugs that could affect the performance.
Now check and see whether the Menu is working.
Fix 2 – Reinsert Batteries
Reinserting the batteries on your Vizio TV is resetting the remote. In many cases, you will find out that there are bugs within the remote making the TV misbehave. In other cases, it can be a malfunction that the power supply within the remote has caused and reinserting the batteries will help fix that problem.
When you reinsert the batteries, you clear out all the processing going on in the remote memory and everything starts from scratch.
1. Turn the remote over to access the back side.
2. Now, at the bottom side, you will see a small opening.
3. Use a sharp-edged tool such as a screwdriver to push through the opening and pull it outward.
4. The entire back cover will come out.
5. Now, remove the batteries.
6. Wait for a few seconds and return the batteries.
7. Close back by starting from the top and finishing at the side with an opening.
8. Press them together to close it firmly.
Fix 3 – Replace Batteries
In some cases, you may find out that even after trying to restart or reinsert the batteries on your Vizio TV the issues do not go away. At this point, it means that your remote batteries might have a problem making the remote misbehave and leading to the TV menu not working.
The best action at this point is to replace the removed batteries. Make sure you buy the original AAA batteries.
Fix 4 – Replace the Remote
This is the final method to try and fix the problem as far as the remote is involved. If the remote is the problem and restarting or changing the batteries does not address the problem, then there is nothing you can do about it. The only solution is to replace the remote (view on Amazon).
Fix 5 – Use Smart Cast App to Operate the TV
SmartCast is an app that is designed to help people operate their devices such as a TV using a smartphone. So, if your Menu does not work, you can choose to operate your TV using the SmartCast app. The good part about the app is that is quite easy to use and it is available for both Android and iPhone users.
1. Begin by downloading a Smartcast app to your smartphone.
2. The next step is to install the app and launch it on your phone.
3. Now, go ahead and open your SmartCast app, then use your Vizio details to sign in to the app.
4. You will find an option to search nearby devices. Tap on it and initiate the search process.
5. You will see your Vizio TV on the list of nearby devices. Select it.
6. Once you have selected your TV, a code will be displayed on your TV’s screen.
7. Enter the code in the app on your phone.
8. By doing that, your TV will now be connected to our SmartCast app. This allows you to control it.
9. You can now navigate through several parts of your Vizio TV and select various functions.
3. TV-Out of Date
Your Vizio TV is a smart TV and it has software that enables it to function correctly. However, things have been changing since the software or firmware was developed. As a result, your TV needs to keep up with the changes so that you can enjoy the experience.
Vizio will keep on releasing updates of the firmware regularly in a bid to make sure that your TV is updated. However, if you do not update the TV, it will be outdated and may experience errors such as the Menu not working.
Fix – Update Firmware
For you to update the firmware on your Vizio TV, first you have to make sure that it is connected to a strong Wi-Fi network. This is because the process of updating firmware requires a high load of data connection.
1. First press the “Menu button” found on your Vizio TV remote.
2. Now scroll and select on “System option”.
3. The next step is to look for an option called “Updates Option”.
4. Select the “Updates” option.
5. Wait for the TV to download and install the updates.