When it comes to dating apps and dating sites, while most tend to be free, they often come with restrictions that make it difficult to use the platform without paying a cent. You’ll notice many of them flaunt a membership that relieves your account of all those pesky restrictions, of which they implemented in the first place. For Kik, you can avoid that problem altogether, and find yourself a date.
Kik isn’t advertised as a dating app, nor is it. However, Kik does provide an environment in which you can meet dozens of people every day, for free and without restrictions. You can strike up a conversation in the hundreds of groups available or even create your own. Kik is, basically, a community for individuals to find like-minded people and, hopefully with the guide below, you can even find yourself a date with one of those lucky people.
A Word of Caution
Kik isn’t just for adults; it’s for everyone. The minimum age required to have a Kik account is 13. On top of that, Kik users don’t have to verify their identity. What does this mean for you? It means you need to be careful of who you speak with.
You see, people you’re chatting with may not be who you think it is; it could be an underaged teenager passing as an adult and guess who has to answer to that? You. Before you get nervous about using Kik, there are some steps you can take to minimize that risk listed below.
Lastly, the personal information you share needs to be kept at a minimum. The private information you choose to share never include personal information that can be used against you, like an email address. Keep it simple. You’ll find a number of weirdos on Kik that take pleasure in pulling personal information out of someone.
If you do get to talking with someone, here’s what you should keep in mind:
- Always err on the side of caution when addressing someone. Take everything they say with an enormous amount of salt. You don’t know, for sure, if the person you’re speaking with is actually looking to make friends or is looking to weasle something out of you.
- Personal information is personal for a reason, even your birthday. If someone wants to know your birth year, that’s totally fine. After all, they may want to be sure they aren’t speaking with an underaged child. WIth that being said, you are welcome to talk about personal experiences, but keep proper nouns out of the equation. If you talk about something you used to do in high school, don’t tell them what high school you went to.
- Legitimate users have a method of proving who they are by taking a video of themselves writing the name of the person they are talking to, while saying their name, too. It’s a strange ritual, but a clever one that can easily establish the authenticity of your existence.
- If a relationship starts to move into the territory of “serious,” and you two plan to meet each other, meet in a public area. Never, ever meet up in a location that’s private. Consider a restaurant or a public park that’s populated. On top of that, always tell another person of your whereabouts and utilize apps like “Find My Device” or “Find My iPhone,” just in case a friend is worried about where you are.
- Hide your full name by going into Settings > Your Account > Name > and then change your Last Name to an initial. People on the other end of a conversation don’t need to know your last name until you’re ready to give that out.
Sharing Your Interests
First things first is setting up your interests. Maybe something you said in a group conversation piqued someone’s interest. So, by viewing your profile, they can see five interests that Kik allows you to choose from. They’re fairly broad, but worth infesting a few minutes on. Here’s what you do:
1. Locate and launch the KiK app. Its icon is “kik” spelled in green, with a green dot at the end, against a white backdrop. You can find the KiK app somewhere on one of your home screens or inside your App Drawer. Every app your phone has installed will be found in the App Drawer.
2. Open up your Settings by tapping the gear icon in the top right corner of the screen.
3. On your profile page, click SHARE YOUR INTERESTS.
4. Choose a total of five different interests that you have. You are welcome to change them again by repeating the steps above. However, you are only limited to 5. Choose wisely. After you’ve chosen, tap DONE.
Sharing your Kik Profile
1. Locate and open the Settings page by tapping the gear icon in the top right corner of the screen.
2. In settings, select Share in the top right corner of the screen, indicated by three dots joined by a line.
3. When prompted, choose a location to share your Kik account to.
Meet New People
1. On the Kik main menu, select Meet New People. If this is your first time, you’ll get an overview of what the feature is all about. Go ahead and Join.
2. Now, you have the choice to have Kik pair you with a random person, simply tap Start Chat. However, if you’re looking for someone with similar interests, select Filters.
3. Decide on 5 interests, just like your profile has, and Kik will match you with a user that has similar interests. You’ll both be anonymous at first, but you can choose to mutually share each other’s names, if the conversation is successful, by tapping Share Username.
Report those that have broken Kik’s guidelines by tapping the three dots and choosing Report User.
And there you have it. Kik is, admittedly, very simple. It doesn’t match users like, say, Tinder would, but it’s certainly useful to an extent, especially if you share your Kik account. On top of that, there’s subreddits on Reddit dedicated to meeting people, like /r/Kikpals, that you should consider using to broaden your horizon.