Apple’s iMessage service is one of the main reasons why iPhone or iPad users find it so hard to leave the Apple ecosystem and move to Android devices. iMessage is just an easy to use messaging service that works only with other Apple devices.
It is limited, but it comes with several features that are loved by users. You can use the service to send messages, audio, video and other files to your friends who have an iPhone, iPad, iPad Touch or even a Mac.
iMessage also features Group Chat, which lets you chat with multiple users at the same time. Most cross platform messaging applications have this feature, so you may already know what it is like.
If you are new to iMessage and want to learn how to use this Group Chat, then we’ve got all the details for you here. You will know how to start a Group Chat, create a Group, add members, remove members, leave a group, and more.
Read on to learn how to use iMessage Group Chat on iPhone or iPad. Since iMessage is available only across Apple devices, the contacts you will be adding to a group chat, will also need to own Apple devices. They need to have an Apple ID, iMessage turned on and an active internet connection. Let’s get started!
Create iMessage Group Chat
It is pretty easy to create an iMessage Group chat on your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch or Mac. We are going to take a look at how to create the group chat on an iPhone or iPad. The methods are similar across all devices.
1. Launch the Messages app on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Tap on the Pencil/Paper icon on the top right corner.
3. The new Message page will now open.
4. Tap on the To: field and enter the number or email address of everyone you want to start a group chat with.
5. You can also tap on the + icon and select the names from your Contacts.
6. You will only be able to start an iMessage Group Chat if the contact name or email address turns blue.
7. If it is blue, then it means that they have access to iMessage.
8. After you finish adding all the members, type a message in the field below.
10. Hit Send.
You have now successfully created an iMessage Group Chat on your iPhone or iPad. Anyone who’s now in the group will be notified about the new chat and they can read and reply to messages. You can add about 25 users to a group chat on iMessage.
Naming the Group Chat
Now that you have created your very own iMessage Group Chat, it’s time to name the group. If you do not name the group, iOS will simply show the names of all the participants, and that doesn’t look good. It can also be confusing if you have created many groups or are part of groups created by others.
The group name can be seen by everyone who is part of the group. So make sure that you name it something that everyone can understand. You can name a group even if it has only two members. Here’s how to add a name to your group:
1. Open the Messages app.
2. Tap on the Group that you just created.
3. At the top, tap on the Message name which will consist of the recipient names.
4. You should now see details such as FaceTime, Audio and an Info button.
5. Tap on the Info button and you should see the Enter a Group Name option.
6. Enter a group name as per your wish.
That’s it. You have now added a name to your group. If you aren’t able to add a group name and don’t see the option, then it is probably because there’s someone in the group without an Apple device.
Adding Someone to an iMessage Group
If you need to add new members to the group you created, then you need to follow the instructions below:
1. Once again, navigate to the Group Chat details like you did when you were adding a Group name.
2. In this page, you will be able to see the Add Contact option.
3. Tap on this option and select a contact who has an Apple device or Apple ID.
That’s about it. You have now added a new member to your group. The new member will not be able to see any older messages that were sent or received in the chat. He/she will be able to send and see only messages from the day they were added.
Removing someone from an iMessage Group
You can also remove someone from the group that you created. If you find someone being offensive or is no longer active on the group or if you added them by mistake, you can remove them with ease. You can only remove members from a group if the group has more than 4 members. That’s one of those weird things that Apple has implemented in the group chat feature.
To remove someone from your group, follow the steps below:
1. Launch the Messages app.
2. Navigate to your group.
3. Tap on the Group name at the top and navigate to the Info page.
4. You should see the list of people in the group.
5. To remove a contact, slide left on the person.
6. Tap on the remove button.
7. The person who was removed will receive a notification that they have been kicked out.
The contact will no longer be able to send or receive messages from the group.
Muting an iMessage Group Chat
If you were added to a group and don’t really want to be part of the conversation, but don’t want to leave and hurt your friends, you can mute the group chat. By muting the chat, you will not receive any message notifications from that group.
The messages will come and you can check whenever you want, but your notifications center will not be filled with the notifications. To mute an iMessage group chat on iPhone or iPad, do the following:
1. In the Messages app, find the group chat that you want to mute.
2. Now swipe left on the group.
3. You will see the option to Delete or Hide Alerts.
4. Choose Hide Alerts.
You will no longer receive message alerts from this group. Remember, you will still be a part of this group and the group chat will continue to fill with new messages.
Leaving an iMessage Group Chat
If you’re fed up of a certain group, and don’t want to be a part of the conversation, then you can simply leave the chat. It is up to you if you want to be part of the group or not. Perhaps the group has reached its goal and is no longer relevant. Maybe it’s just taking up space on your iPhone or iPad. The reasons could be many. Here’s how to leave a group chat:
1. Open the Messages app and open the Group chat.
2. Head over to the Group Chat details page like you did before.
3. Scroll down to the end of the page and you should see the Leave this Conversation option.
4. Tap on this option.
You have now left the chat and will no longer receive any messages or notifications.