Instagram has become one of the most used social networking services in the world. One of its offerings, Instagram Stories, sees over 500 million daily active users. That’s a lot of people sharing photos and videos on a single platform. The Facebook owned company has been doing pretty well in the recent years and it is very uncommon to find millenials not using the service.
Instagrammers who are regular on the platform will also need to keep their app update so as to enjoy the latest features available. The company releases new features every now and then, hence it is necessary to keep the app updated. Instagram’s mobile app is available for both iOS and Android users. If you are using Instagram, but don’t really know how to update the app, then you’ve come to the right place. Before we tell you how easy it is to update the Instagram app on your device, let’s talk about why you need to update the app regularly.
Why Update Instagram?
One of the main reasons to update Instagram is to receive the latest features. Instagram pushes new features and improvements every now and then. You also don’t want to miss on these updates as they include system enhancements and bug fixes as well. For example, an older version of Instagram may give you problems such as crashing, being slow, etc. If you’re facing such issues, then it is mainly because you aren’t running the latest version of the app on your iOS or Android device.
Therefore, it is pretty important that you update Instagram as soon as the company releases a new version. The new update will also include security features, which is necessary as well. There have been plenty of hacks in the past where Instagram users have lost their accounts, photos, and other private information. If you keep the app updated, there are less chances of your account being hacked.
Some Instagram updates also include big changes, UI redesign and major features. This is yet another reason why users want to update Instagram. To be honest, it doesn’t matter if the update includes some major changes or doesn’t come with a changelog. Updating the app is necessary either ways.
In this post, we are going to talk about how to update Instagram on both iOS and Android platforms. Both these platforms have different stores to download the app, however, the steps are pretty identical. Read on to learn how to update Instagram.
Update Instagram on iOS
The Instagram for iOS app is available for free on the App Store. To update the app, you will need to use the App Store on your iOS device. Here’s how to do it:
1. Launch the App Store on your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. The app is available on the Home Screen.
2. In the App Store, tap on the Updates tab that’s located at the bottom.
3. Check for Instagram in the list of apps. Usually, you would see many app updates.
4. Once you locate Instagram, tap on the Update button next to it.
5. The App update should begin instantly. It will take some time to download and install.
That’s it. You have now installed the latest version of Instagram on your iOS device. Launch the app from the Home screen and enjoy the new features.
You can also use the Auto Update feature on your iOS device to automatically download the latest Instagram update as and when it’s available. However, you will need to be connected to the Wi-Fi, otherwise you may incur huge data charges. To enable Auto Update of apps:
1. Launch the Settings app.
2. Search for App Store settings.
3. Now look for the Automatic Updates toggle and enable it.
You have now enabled automatic updates and your iPhone or other iOS device should automatically download any new Instagram updates when it is connected to Wi-Fi.
Update Instagram on Android
On Android devices, apps and its updates are available from the Google Play Store. To update the Instagram app, follow the steps below.
1. Launch the Google Play Store on your Android smartphone.
2. Swipe right to reveal the options toolbar or tap on the hamburger menu on the top left corner.
3. Select the ‘My apps & games’ option.
4. You should now see a list of app updates available.
5. Look for Instagram and hit the Update button.
You can also enable Auto app updates on Android, just like iOS. To turn on this feature, do the following.
1. Open Google Play Store.
2. Head to Settings.
3. In the Auto-update Apps section, enable Over Wi-Fi only.
4. You can also use the ‘Over any network’ option, but that may empty your cellular data.
There you go, you have now learnt how to update Instagram on both iOS and Android. If, for some reason, the app doesn’t update, then check your internet connection or force close the App Store or Play Store and try downloading the update once again.