The problem. You want to use Airplay on your TCL Roku TV but realize it is not working especially when you connect your Mac or iPhone. The experience is quite frustrating as you cannot enjoy your great content as before.
This is a problem many TCL TV users encounter from time to time. Here are the answers you have been looking for. Read along to find out more.
Why is AirPlay on My TCL Roku Not Working?
It could be because of bugs in the system, poor internet connection, devices out of date, and many other reasons. This is a problem that does not have one specific cause. As a result, it is not possible to clearly pinpoint the reason and fix it immediately.
However, you can fix the problem by carrying out a series of troubleshooting steps and in the process, you will fix it. Below are the possible causes, how to troubleshoot them, and the fixes you can make to clear the issue of your Airplay not working on your TCL TV.
If your Airplay is not working on your TCL Roku TV, the most probable reason is that there are bugs in the systems you are using.
Bugs are technical glitches or errors in electronics that happen out of nowhere or are sometimes caused by components or systems you cannot see. When you get bugs in your device, they will easily hinder its operation in certain areas.
In the case of your TV, it can be bugs in your TV or even your apple device. There is no way of telling the actual cause unless you carry out a series of troubleshooting actions that will help clear any bugs.
Note that some bugs are temporary while others stay for quite some time. Some bugs can go away on their own after some time, while others will need you to fix them. Either way, the goal is to carry out all processes that will clear them out.
Fix – Restart TV
Restarting the TV is the first and easiest way of clearing any bugs that might be making Airplay not work on your TCL TV. A restart is a quick way to clear any bugs that are within your TV system and that are causing this error.
When you restart the TV, all the running processes will end. This will help in a big way to clear any bugs caused by those processes.
Here is how to restart a TCL TV.
1. Use your remote to open the main menu on the TCL Roku TV.
2. Scroll and select “Settings”.
3. Now, select “Systems”
4. Select the “Power” option.
5. You will get options and you should select “System Restart”.
6. Now, select the “Restart” option to confirm the process.
7. Now select the “OK” button and wait for the process to initiate and finish.
Once you are done, you should try the Airplay once again and see if it works.
Fix 2 – Restart Device
It is also very possible that the apple device you are trying to connect is the issue. Apple devices also suffer from bugs. As a result, if the device has any type of bug, it will not be able to connect effectively.
Here is how to restart your iPhone.
1. Press both the side and volume button simultaneously and hold until it displays the power-off pop-up.
2. Now, use the slide to drag it to turn it off.
3. Give the device 30 seconds to turn off.
4. After 30 seconds, press the “side button” and hold it until the phone displays the Apple logo.
iPhone 6, 7, or 8:
1. Press the phone’s side button and hold it until it displays the power-off pop-up.
2. Now, use the slider on the screen to switch it off.
3. Wait for 30 seconds for your phone to turn off.
4. After 30 seconds, you should turn the phone back on by pressing and holding on its side button.
iPhone 5 and earlier generations:
1. Locate and press the button on top of the phone.
2. Hold the button until a power-off slider is displayed.
3. Use the slider to drag it off.
4. Now, wait for 30 seconds for the phone to turn off.
5. After 30 seconds, you should turn the phone back on by pressing the top button and holding it until a logo is displayed.
Here is how to restart your Mac to clear bugs.
When restarting your Mac, you can use the simplest method. Just tap on “Apple Menu”. You will get options, and you should select “Restart”.
However, you can also do a manual restart.
1. Press Mac’s power button and hold it until the device shuts off.
2. Wait for a moment and press the power button again to start the Mac.
Fix 3 – Unplug TV for 30 Seconds, then Plug it Back In
When there are more complex bugs in your TV’s system, it is possible that a normal restart will not solve the problem. However, you cannot leave it at that, for there are other methods to clear bugs and do a soft reset.
Here is how to do it.
1. Make sure that your TCL TV is still on.
2. Unplug the power cable.
3. Wait for up to 30 seconds.
4. Now, plug the power cable back on.
Check and see whether the Airplay will work on your TCL Roku TV.
Fix 4 – Force Restart Device
A force restart on the devices you are using to connect to the airplay system of your TCL TV could be the only way to deal with the situation. A force restart can also be considered a soft way of resetting your devices. It will also clear the bugs.
Here is how to force restart your iPhone.
1. Press the phone’s volume up button and quickly release it.
2. Now press the button for volume down, and quickly release it.
3. Press the phone’s side button and hold it.
4. Wait for the phone logo to appear on the screen. Now release it.
Here is how to force restart a mac.
Press the command button and Control as well as its power button at the same time and hold them until the device turns off. And the device will then restart.
Once you have restarted your device, you should reconnect with your TV and check to see if the Airplay will work.
Fix 5 – Reset Network Connection on Device
For the Airplay to work on your TV, the device you are connecting with must have a strong network connection. In that case, if there are any errors in the network or bugs, the connection will not be complete as required.
In this step, you should reset network settings on your device whether an iPhone or Mac and let it start all over again.
Here is how to reset the network connection on your iPhone.
1. Open the settings on your iPhone.
2. Select the “General” option.
3. Now, select “Reset”.
4. On the reset options, select “Reset Network Settings”.
If you are using a Mac, here is how to do it.
1. Start by clicking on ‘Apple” icon
2. Select the “System preferences’ option.
3. Now click on “Network”.
4. Select your network connection on the list.
5. Now, tap the “minus” icon next to your icon.
6. Tap ‘Apply” to finish the process.
You should go ahead and reset the network settings on your TCL TV. Here are the steps to follow.
1. Start by opening the apps section of your TV.
2. Now, select the settings option.
3. Go ahead and select the “System” option.
5. Now, tap on “Advanced”.
6. Tap on “Reset options”.
7. Select the “Reset Wi-Fi, Mobile & Bluetooth” option.
8. Tap on “Reset Settings”.
9. You will be required to provide a PIN. By default, this should be (0000) unless you have already changed it.
10. Tap “Reset Settings” to confirm the process.
2. Poor Internet Connection
Do not forget that for your TCL TV airplay to work with your Apple devices, an internet connection is a must. Internet connection will ensure that the two devices are connecting effectively and exchanging the data.
As a result, the devices will not transmit the content effectively if there is an issue with the internet connection.
However, internet connection can be poor because of several factors. It can be an issue with the router, your devices, or your internet service provider. Here are the steps to diagnose and fix a poor internet connection, making Airplay not work on your TCL Roku TV.
Fix – Restart Internet Connection
Restarting the internet connection in this case is disconnecting the connection on your devices and reconnecting it back in. If you are using a phone, you should switch off the wifi connection, wait for a few minutes and then connect it back. This should also be the case if you are using a mac.
By restarting the internet connection, you will clear any errors and enable the devices to connect in a better way. You should also disconnect the internet on your TCL TV, connect it back after a few seconds, and check whether the Airplay will work.
Fix 2 – Restart Router
Your Wi-Fi router could easily be why Airplay is not working on your TCL TV. Sometimes, routers may also experience glitches that can interfere with the internet connection.
The tricky part about this condition is that when a router has an error, the connection will still be there but it won’t be as effective as it is required.
Here is how to restart your router. You can use the manual method by following these steps.
1. Locate the router power cable.
2. Now, while the router is still on, unplug the power cord.
3. Wait for a minimum of 30 seconds.
4. Plug the power cable back into the router.
5. Turn on the router and connect the internet to your devices.
Now you can go ahead and test to see if Airplay is working on your TCL TV.
Fix 3 – Make Sure Devices Are on the Same Network
Network and internet connection are very important and sensitive factors when using Airplay on your TCL TV. As a result, one of the conditions you must follow is ensuring that the devices you are using are connected to the same network. That means your TV and the other device, either iPhone or Mac should use the same internet network.
If you are unsure, you can check the Wi-Fi connection on your device, and ensure that it is the same one your TV is connected to. If similar names make it confusing, you can change the name of one of the networks to make it stand out.
Fix 4 – Make Sure WIFI Connection is 2.4 GHz
The strength of your Wi-Fi will also affect the airplay mode on your TCL connection. Many people may not know this, but not all Wi-Fi networks are the same. As a result, for this connection to work effectively, you must ensure that the Wi-Fi network is a 2.4GHz setup.
You have to check and be sure if your Airplay is not working. Here are the steps that you should follow to check this.
1. Go to the settings option on your TV.
2. Select the “General” options.
3. Now go ahead and look for the “Network” options.
4. You will get a list of available networks.
5. Check and make sure the network you are connected to has a 2.4 GHz name.
3. AirPlay Isn’t Set Up Properly on Roku or Device
At this point, have you thought of how you have set up the whole connection? There are many cases where people think they know the right way to do something, only to find out they have done it wrong.
You may be struggling with this problem only to discover that you have not set up Airplay properly on either your device or your Roku TV. Note that there is a specific way to set up Airplay and make the connection.
If you go wrong on this process, your Airplay on TCL TV will not work. The only solution for this is to learn the correct way to do it and check to rectify any mistakes you might have done.
Fix – Set Up AirPlay on Roku Properly
If you have set up Airplay wrongly on Roku, the is no other solution until you fix it. Below, are tips and steps you should follow to make sure you set up Airplay on Roku properly.
1. Start by going to your TCL Roku home screen.
2. Scroll all the way down and select the “Settings” option.
3. Scroll to the right once, then scroll all the way down until you find the “Apple Airplay and Homekit” option.
4. Select “OK” on your remote.
5. The TV will display the “Airplay Settings” menu.
6. The first option is “Airplay” and an option to either turn it on or off.
7. Select the “AirPlay” option to turn it on.
Fix 2 – Set Up AirPlay on Device Properly
AirPlay is a connection that must have two devices for it to work. So, the first device is your TV and must be set properly for it to work.
The second one is the device you are getting content from and that can be your iPhone or Mac. You also have to make sure Airplay is well set on the device.
Here is how to set up Airplay on iPhone.
1. Start by accessing the “Control Center” on your iPhone.
2. Look for the “Music control” section, tap it, and hold on to it.
3. Select the “Airplay” icon.
4. You will get a list of devices to connect to.
5. Look for your TCL Roku TV name and icon and select it.
6. Now select “Done” and the process is complete.
Here is how to set up Airplay on Mac.
Start by turning on Airplay.
1. Click the “Apple” icon on your Mac’s screen.
2. Select “System Preferences”.
3. Now, select “Displays”. It is an icon that resembles a computer monitor.
4. Check a box on “Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available”.
Now, connect to Airplay.
1. Look at the bar on top of Mac’s screen.
2. Click on “Airplay Icon”.
3. You will get a drop-down list with several devices.
4. Now, select the device you would like to connect to. In this case, it is your Roku TV.
5. Provide a password and the connection will be initiated.
4. Devices Out of Date
All the devices involved in connecting through Airplay have operating systems. As a result, these operating software are updated from time to time to keep up with the trends in the technology world. In this case, your Apple devices and the TV, need to have the latest firmware for them to function as required.
If the system in the devices is out of date, they will lack certain elements that are vital in ensuring airplay works on your TCL TV. In some cases, it might be one of the devices.
Fix – Update the Apple Device
Here is how to update our iPhone.
1. Make sure that your phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
2. Go to the Settings.
3. Tap the “General” option.
4. Select “Software Update”
5. Now, select “Install Now”.
6. Wait for some time for the phone to update the software.
Here is how to update a Mac.
1. Visit the “Apple Menu” on your Mac.
2. Select “System Preferences”.
3. Now, select “Software Updates”.
4. Select “Update Now”.
Fix 2 – Update the TCL Roku TV
In case your TCL Roku TV is outdated, then it means that it will also not be able to make the right connection and Airplay will not work as required.
Here is how to update your TCL Roku TV firmware.
1. Start on the TV’s home screen.
2. Select the “Settings”.
3. Now, go ahead and select “System”.
4. Select “System Update”.
5. Select “Update Now”.
It will take a few minutes and the firmware will be updated. You should then check to see how Airplay works.
5. Bluetooth is On Either Roku or Device
Did you know that AirPlay will not work if Bluetooth is turned on for either of the devices? Many people do not know this, but it is a significant reason Airplay may not be working on your TCL Roku TV. Bluetooth interferes with the connection, so it should remain off.
Fix – Turn Off Bluetooth Which Interrupts
Check and turn off Bluetooth on your devices. Make sure that Bluetooth is off on your iPhone, Mac, and TV.
For your iPhone, check the Bluetooth icon on the dropdown screen and tap it to switch it off.
For your TCL TV.
1. Go to the settings.
2. Select “Connected devices”
3. Select “Connection Preferences”.
4. Now, tap on “Bluetooth”.
5. From here you should be able to turn it off.