Do you need to get your voicemail set up on your iPhone but you’re not sure how to go about it? If so, you’ve come to the right place.
How to Set Up & Activate Voicemail
1. Tap the phone icon on your home screen
2. From the menu that appears at the bottom of your screen, select voicemail
3. On the next page tap set up now
4. Enter a four-digit passcode you’d like to use for your voicemail then top done
The last step in setting up your voicemail system on your iPhone is to set an audio greeting that people will hear before leaving you a voicemail message.
You can choose to use the default greeting by tapping default. Or, record your own personalized greeting by tapping custom.
If you choose to record a custom greeting, tap record to begin recording one. When you’re finished recording your greeting, tap save in the top right corner.
Those are all the steps to setting up your voicemail.
There are a few other things you should keep in mind before you start the process of activating your voicemail service.
1. Before you attempt to go through the process of setting up voicemail on your iPhone, call your mobile service provider to make sure that you have a voicemail service included in your monthly cell phone plan. Some providers do charge extra for voicemail service so if you don’t already have voicemail included in your plan, be prepared to pay a little extra every month should you decide to add the service to your plan.
2. If you know you have voicemail included in your cell phone plan but you are having some trouble getting your voicemails set on your phone, I’d recommend calling your mobile service provider. They may be able to answer your question or help you solve the issue you’re having.
3. Once you’re finished going through all the steps to get your voicemail set on your phone, I would recommend using another phone to call your own number and leaving a voicemail message for yourself. This way, you can make sure that your voicemail greeting and inbox have been properly set up.
How to Turn Off Voicemail
Let’s say you travel internationally and you’d like to disable your voicemail so that you can avoid roaming charges because you can really get hit with them.
The only way to do that is by contacting your carrier directly. There’s no way in iPhone in order to manually disable voicemail.
You need to contact customer service in order to turn off your voicemail in the case that you’re in another country.
When you’re on the line to then, make sure to insist that they don’t change your plan because they’re going to want to change some things around. But, if you just explain to them saying you don’t want voicemail on this number and make sure you’re specific about the number and not the whole account.
They’ll temporarily disable it for you or permanently disable it for you. This is pretty simple and it’ll probably take a little while but the trick is getting through to a real human operator.
What has been shown to work in my experience is just persistently requesting from the automated systems to connect me to an operator. Eventually, you’ll get through to the right person and they’ll help you out.
How to Avoid Calls Going Straight to Voicemail
Here’s what to do:
1. Go to your settings
2. Check out for is whether airplane mode turned
3. You’ll see the airplane icon at the top of your iPhone if airplane mode is turned on
With the airplane mode turned on, whenever your phone rings it’s going to go directly to voicemail.
If your device is still having the same issue, you want to check if do not disturb is on. If this is on, you’re going to see a moon icon at the top of your device. When do not disturb is on, your phone will go directly to voicemail whenever it rings.
So the first thing you want to do is check to see if you have airplane mode on and if you do, turn it off so your calls can run smoothly without going to voicemail.
How to Record Your Voicemail Greeting
1. Tap phone (you’ll see a menu bar appear at the bottom of your screen)
2. Tap voicemail in the bottom right corner
3. Tap custom to record a personalized voicemail greeting
This will give you options to record a new one. You can now record your new personalized outgoing voicemail message.
1. Tap record
2. To listen to your recording, tap play
3. When you finish recording and you are satisfied with your new voicemail greeting, tap save in the top right corner of your screen
That’s all you need to do to change up your voicemail greeting on your iPhone. There are a few other things I think you should keep in mind when recording a new voicemail greeting.
1. To ensure that your voicemail greeting sounds as good as it possibly can, make sure you’re in a good place to record it. Wind, fans, and other background noise can affect the quality of your recording, so try to get to a quiet room where you can record your voicemail greeting without any interference.
2. To make sure your new greeting was set up properly, try calling yourself on a different phone to check it out. This will allow you to see what your recording sounds like to others.
3. Remember that you can change up your voicemail greeting at any time. If you ever get tired of your outgoing voicemail message, you can change it if you like.