FaceTime is Apple’s answer to video calling, but it only works on iOS and macOS. If you’re a Windows or Android user, then you will not be able to make a FaceTime call to an iPhone or Mac user.
You can use FaceTime to make a video call from your iPhone with someone who’s on a Mac computer. It’s easy, fast, and works well most of the time. If you just bought a new iPhone, iPad, or a Mac computer, and wanted to know how to set up FaceTime, then we’ve got you covered.
In this article, we will explain how you can set up FaceTime on both your iOS device and also your Mac computer. The process is pretty easy and you should be able to make video calls with your friends, family, and others by the end of this post.
Set Up FaceTime on iOS
Apple’s FaceTime is supported on the iPhone, iPod Touch, as well as the iPad. You can use any of these to start a FaceTime video call with anyone who also has an iOS device or Mac computer. Setting up FaceTime on an iOS device takes just a few steps. But before you begin, make sure you have an active Apple ID and know the login details. Now, follow the steps below:
1. Launch the Settings app on your iOS device.
2. Scroll down till you find the FaceTime option.
3. In the FaceTime settings, enable the feature, and click on use your Apple ID for FaceTime.
4. If you’re using an iPhone, then you can register for FaceTime with your mobile number as well.
5. Sign in with your Apple ID details when asked.
That’s it. FaceTime is now active your new iOS device. In the same page, there should be an option saying ‘You can be Reached by FaceTime at’. Under this, make sure that your phone number(iPhone) and Apple ID are correct. This is how users will be able to contact you.
Now, to make a FaceTime video call, launch the FaceTime application on your iOS device. You should see all the available contacts who have FaceTime enabled, and you can also add new users to chat with. The process is the same on the iPhone, iPod Touch, and the iPad.
Note: Enabling FaceTime for the first time on an iPhone will cost you a certain fee. It is a one time fee that the carrier charges to activate the service.
Set up FaceTime on macOS
If you do not own an iOS device, but do own a Mac, then you can still use FaceTime to contact other Apple users. iOS users can contact you using your Apple ID and you will be able to FaceTime with them on your Mac computer. Here’s how to set up FaceTime on macOS.
1. If you’re setting up FaceTime for the first time, simply launch the FaceTime app on your Mac.
2. The FaceTime app features a white camera and a green icon. It should be available on the dock or in the Applications folder in the Finder.
3. Once inside the app, you will be asked to type in your Apple ID and Password.
4. After signing in, click on the FaceTime button on the top menu bar.
5. Select Preferences.
6. Now check the box that says ‘Enable this account’.
7. Make sure that the addresses you can be reached are correct. You can select your Apple ID as the best way to reach you on FaceTime.
There you go. You have no set up FaceTime on your Mac computer as well. That was easy right? Now, you can launch the FaceTime app and start a video call by typing in an Apple ID or even a phone number. Your contacts should also be synced if you’ve used the Apple ID on other devices such as an iPhone. Yes, you can also reach iPhone users via the FaceTime app.
You can use FaceTime to perform group video calls as well, and it works quite well. FaceTime is a great way to keep in touch with your loved ones, friends and others. The video call quality will depend on your network connection speed and also on the camera. We hope this helped you to set up FaceTime on your iOS or Mac device.