Do want to use the iMessage app to chat with your friends and family but not you’re not sure how to use it? If so you’re in luck. I’ll be showing you how to send messages, draw messages, send GIFs, and send an audio message all in iMessage.
Let’s get started…
How to Send Normal Message on iMessage
- Tap the Messages icon to start up the app
- Tap the pen and paper icon in the top right corner of your screen to start a new conversation
- At the top of your screen, tap the text box and type in the contact information of the person you’d like to send a message to
- You can type in the phone number, email address, or just their name if they are saved in your device’s address book
Remember that the person you’re sending an iMessage to have to also have an Apple device since iMessage is only available on Apple devices. If you send a message to someone who doesn’t have an Apple device, it will automatically be sent as a regular text message.
How to Send Emojis and GIFs
I’m now going to show you how to make your texts more fun by adding images and GIFs.
Here’s what you do:
- Tap the text box that appears above your keyboard and type in what you’d like your message to say
- Tap the smiley face icon on your keyboard to choose a fun sticker emoji to add to your message
- Tap the arrow on the left of your keyboard to reveal attachment options
- If you want to send a fun GIF, tap the ‘A’ icon next to the text field
This will allow you to access iMessages built in GIFs search feature.
- Choose one of the featured GIFs if you like them or tap the search box and type in what you’d like to find
- Tap a GIF once to attach it to your message
How to Draw Messages to a Friend
If you want to draw something to send to your friend:
- Tap the text box above your keyboard and then turn your device sideways
- Once your device is sideways, tap the squiggly button at the bottom right
- You’ll see a screen appear with space to draw something
- Drag your finger over the whitespace on your screen to draw or write something
- When you’re finished, tap ‘Done’ to attach it to your message
- When you’re all done adding attachments and fun things to your message, tap the blue arrow button to send it off
How to Send a Picture Message
If you want to share awesome pictures with your friends using iMessage, I’m going to show you how you can do that.
To send a picture through text messages on your iPhone:
- Open up your text messages by tapping the Messaging application
- Touch the name of the person you were previously texting with to reopen that conversation
- To start a new text message, touch the pen and paper icon on the top right-hand side of your screen
From here, two boxes will appear. The top box is the name of the person you will send the message to. The bottom box will be the message itself.
In order to add a picture:
- Touch the camera icon on the left-hand side of your screen and this will give you the option to either add a picture from your photo library or to take a picture right there
- Go ahead and select a photo
- Once you are done, hit ‘Choose’ on the bottom right-hand side
- This will attach that photo to your text message
- Once you are done, hit the green send button and this will send your picture message
How to Send an Audio/Voice Message on iPhone or iPad
On the iPhone, there’s a function within the messages app to send an audio message in the same way you would send a text. You’ll notice there’s a microphone to the right of where you would typically type a text. This microphone actually records your audio.
To begin recording:
- Simply press down the microphone button and hold it down
This gives you the ability to send a message directly to someone without waiting for a dial tone or risking that they may pick up if all you want to do is leave them a message. It can be way more convenient than texting a long difficult detailed message of something that would be better to communicate with the voice.
- When you’re done, simply let go of the button and you have a few options of what you can do with the message at this point
- If you’re happy with your message, press the arrow at the top and it will immediately send it to your recipient
- Press the play button to review your message or press the X on the left to delete it
Another way to record the message is to:
- Press the microphone and while holding it down, slide to the left and release
This engages the microphone and continues to record without holding the button down.
Like anything else, you’ll get more proficient the more you use it and it will become second nature just like placing a call. I challenge you to try out this tool and see if it changes the way you communicate, see if it makes your communication more efficient or effective.
You’ll notice that you’ll communicate things to people that you normally wouldn’t communicate to them and you’ll probably start to stay In touch with people you hadn’t before.
- When you’re done recording, release the record button and press the up arrow to send it or the X to delete
How to Send Messages Using voice-to-text
You can use your voice to send text messages on your iPhone or iPad. Dictating your messages can be helpful if you don’t like typing on a small keyboard, you’re in bright sunlight or you’re wearing gloves.
Voice to text can also be an important feature for those with hearing or dexterity loss.
Here’s how to use voice to text with Apple smartphones:
- Open up a text in the Message app
- Look for a microphone icon near the spacebar
If you don’t see the icon, you’ll need to enable Dictation. Here’s how you do it:
- Open up Settings from your home screen
- Go to General
- Go to Keyboard and turn on Enable Dictation
To send a message using voice-to-text:
- Tap the mic icon near the space bar, then speak your message
- When you’re finished speaking tap the send button
That’s everything you need to know when it comes to sending things on iMessage. If you have any questions, comment down below and I’ll help you.
Read More about iMessage: