One of the key features of Facebook is, of course, messaging your friends and family. After all, Facebook is a social media platform. But can you send messages to people that aren’t on your friends list? Absolutely. It’s considered a “message request.” Think of it as a greeting, an invitation, a request to start a conversation with someone that isn’t a part of your friends list.
You can see message requests that are sent to you on both Facebook’s website, via computer, as well as a mobile device or tablet, Android or iOS. However, before you can view message requests through
Installing Facebook Messenger
Before you can view message requests through Facebook’s Messenger app, you’ll need to install it first.
1. Locate and launch your respective app store. If you’re using an Android device, it will be the Google Play Store app. Its icon is a colorful triangle. If you’re using an iOS device, it will be the App Store. Its icon is several white writing utensils in the shape of an ‘A’ against a blue backdrop.
2. In the Google Play Store, tap the search bar at the top. When your virtual keyboard appears, type in “Facebook Messenger” and select it from the search results below the search bar.
- For iOS devices, tap Search at the bottom (the magnifying glass) before you search for “Facebook Messenger.” Choose it from the search results.
3. On Facebook Messenger’s information page, select Install. For iOS devices, you select Get and then Install. It will immediately download and install straight to your respective devices.
View Message Requests on Facebook Messenger
1. Locate and launch the Facebook Messenger app. Its icon is a blue text bubble with what looks to be a lightning bolt. You’ll find it on one of your home screens or inside your App Drawer.
- For iOS devices, there is no App Drawer.
2. Log into Facebook Messenger with your Facebook account and password, if you aren’t already.
3. At the bottom of the screen, select the People tab. Its icon is the silhouette of two people, followed by a number (if there’s active friends).
4. At the very top, select All and then choose Message Requests. For Android users, you’ll need to select Add Contacts. It’s at the very top right corner of the screen. It resembles the silhouette of a person, next to an addition sign. After you’re redirected, choose Requests at the very top of the screen.
5. Any message requests will be front and center. If there aren’t any message requests, you’ll see something pertaining to “No Requests.”
View Message Requests on Facebook’s Website
1. Locate and open your preferred web browser and head over to Facebook’s homepage.
2. Log into Facebook with your account and password, if you aren’t already.
3. At the top, where you notification bell is, open your Messenger tab. In the menu, click View All in Messenger.
4. At the top left corner of the web browser, click the gear. It will open a drop down menu. In the drop down menu, click Message Requests. If you have any message requests, you’ll see them on the left hand side of the browser.