The popularity of GoPro’s has gone the way of Google. When you ask someone to search something on the internet, what do you say? “Just Google it.” GoPro has grown to a level that even off-brand compact action cams are called “GoPros.”
These handy, adventure-central devices come with features that are seemingly more integral to every electronic devices: Wi-Fi capabilities. And rightfully so. This is a camera after all, and it stores pictures–pictures you wouldn’t want someone accessing.
Thankfully, GoPros with Wi-Fi capabilities come with the option to protect unwanted access in the form of a password. Practicing good password protection should always be welcomed and you should change your password every so often.
Here, you’ll find steps for changing passwords to many different models. Most of this list consists of GoPro’s “Hero” line of cameras.
GoPro HERO3 and GoPro HERO3+
If you just brought your GoPro HERO3 or GoPro HERO3+ home from the store, and just fired it up, you’ll first have to use the default password after you’ve paired your camera with your phone app.
- Visit HERO3 and HERO3+ respective update page. On HERO3’s update page, you’ll be greeted with the option to Start Update. HERO3+ differs slightly with Update your camera manually.
- Enter your registration information.
- Enter your gear’s serial number.
- Click Next Step when you’re finished. Afterwards, you’ll be provided with the opportunity to change your camera’s password and name.
- Follow the rest of the prompt to finish.
GoPro HERO+ and GoPro HERO+ LCD
This is a two-part process that requires your camera and GoPro’s smartphone app.
To reset your GoPro’s WI-FI:
- Open your camera.
- Click the Mode button.
- Keep pressing it until you see Setup. Located at the top of the camera is your camera’s top shutter button.
- Press the shutter button.
- select WIRELESS. Your front mode button can be used to highlight RESET WI-FI.
- Press the shutter button. This will reset the wifi.
- Select RESET with the shutter button.
To pair GoPro:
With the device of your choice, double-check your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth has been activated.
- Open GoPro’s dedicated app.
- Connect Your Camera.
- Select Add New Device. From the list GoPro provides, find the model that matches your camera. Now, GoPro will want you to pair your camera with GoPro’s app by following the three steps given.
- Press Continue when you’re ready.
- Provide the PIN associated with your camera.
- Select Pair. From here, you’ll have the opportunity to create a password and your camera’s name.
- Select Update Your Camera. You’ll be prompted to join the new camera network.
- Join a Wi-Fi network from your device’s menu. Once your device has been connected, switch over to the GoPro app.
- Select Connect Your Camera.
- Find your device’s name.
GoPro HERO Session and GoPro HERO4 Session
This requires that your device be paired already. Refer to PART 2 – Pairing for instructions.
- Open the GoPro app.
- Select the wrench. These are your settings.
- Scroll until you find CAMERA INFO.
- Select Name.
- Enter a new password as well as the name of your device.
GoPro HERO4 Silver and Black
- Turn your camera on.
- Hold the Settings button until Wi-Fi Mode is activated.
- Hold together the Settings button and the Power/Mode button until you see the option for Reset Wi-Fi Settings.
GoPro HERO5 Session
- Turn your camera off.
- Press the Menu button. This will activate the status screen.
- Press the Menu button again until Connections Settings appears. Use the shutter button to navigate.
- Select Connections Settings.
- Press the Menu button again until Reset Connections appears. Use the shutter button once again to navigate.
- Select Reset Connections. This time, use the Menu button to navigate.
- Select Yes. Use the shutter button to select it. If done successfully, you’ll be greeted with Wi-Fi Reset Successful.
GoPro HERO5 Black and HERO6 Black
Both HERO5 Black and HERO6 Black follow the same steps with one difference: you cannot change the camera name on a HERO5 Black.
In the main menu screen of your device:
- Swipe down until you see Connect.
- Select Rest Connections. When prompted to “Reset,” you’ll have the opportunity to reset your password, however, it’ll be a password the camera has created.
Your camera should be on for these steps to work properly.
- Press your Mode button until a wrench appears–your Settings. Use the Shutter button to select it.
- Press the Shutter button again a total of three times. This will prompt your Connections settings to appear. Use the Mode button to navigate to Reset.
- Select Reset with Shutter button.
- Your GoPro Fusion has now been reset.
GoPro HERO7 Black, Silver and White
GoPro HERO7 Black, Silver and White follow the same steps as GoPro HERO5 Black and HERO6 Black with one key difference: during Step 1, you select Preferences rather than Connect.
You can also change the camera’s name if you own a GoPro HERO7 Black, Silver, and White.