Recording from a webcam on a Windows or Mac machine can be useful when you’re trying to record a performance, or just a video-log. If you want to learn how to record from webcam on both Windows or a Mac computer, then you’ve come to the right place.
It is very easy to record using a webcam, and almost all laptops come with a built-in webcam these days. Even if you’re using a desktop PC, you can record using an external webcam. Apple’s iMac desktop computer, and several all-in-one Windows machines, come with an in-built webcam.
In this post, we are going to tell you how to record from webcam. First, we will look into recording a video from webcam on Mac computers. The programs are a little different than they’re on Windows machines, but the process is pretty much the same. Anyway, let’s get right into it.
1. Record from Webcam on PC
If your Windows PC came with an inbuilt camera, then you will most likely also have a free recording or webcam tool. It is usually called Camera, and it will allow you to record using the webcam. To find this app, search through the Start Menu or perform an app search using the Windows + S shortcut.
Once you find the camera app or the webcam app, you can start recording using the record button. It shouldn’t be hard to find the button, since it will be located up front and will be red in colour. After you’re done recording, you can save the video and view it whenever you like. You can also use an app to record from webcam on a Windows computer. There are plenty of free tools available on the internet and the Windows Store.
2. Record from Webcam on Mac
There are several ways to record from Webcam of a Mac machine. Both Macbooks and iMacs come with an in-built webcam. They also feature software that make it easy to record from them. We are going to look at recording video from the webcam with the help of Photo Booth, iMovie, and QuickTime Player.
If you’re a Mac user, then you must be familiar with the Photo Booth application. macOS ships with this photo capturing and webcam tool. It is very easy to record from webcam using this app. To do so, follow the steps below:
1. Launch Photo Booth.
2. On the bottom of the window, you will see an icon that looks like a movie reel. It should be located to the left side of the window. Click on it.
3. Once you’re in record mode, simply click the record button and it should start recording from the webcam.
4. On the right hand side, you will see a button that says Effects. Click on this to add effects to your video.
5. To stop recording, press the center button once again.
6. Once the video is done recording, it will appear at the bottom of the window, above the buttons. Simply tap on the video to play/pause and export it.
Record using iMovie
iMovie is another free application that’s available on macOS. Usually, it doesn’t ship with the device, but can be downloaded for free from the App Store. Apart from the ability to edit videos, iMovie also allows you to record from the webcam. Follow the steps below to get recording on iMovie.
1. Open iMovie and select the Import option from the toolbar.
2. A new window should now open automatically.
3. From the left side panel, select the option that says FaceTime HD Camera.
4. Hit the record button to start recording from the webcam.
5. Press the button again to stop recording.
6. You can now press the Close button on the bottom of the window.
7. Head back to Projects to save the movie and return to the main page.
Record using QuickTime Player
Recording using the QuickTime Player is also pretty straightforward. Once again, the app is available for free and pre-installed on most Mac computers. Most of the video files on your computer will be played using QuickTime, but you can also use it to record videos from the webcam. Here’s how to do it:
1. Launch QuickTime Player from Finder or LaunchPad.
2. Navigate to File on the toolbar and select ‘New Movie Recording’.
3. Click on the option to open a new recording window.
4. If you haven’t given permission to record using the webcam and microphone, then you will be asked to do so.
5. Hit the record button to start recording.
Once you’re done recording, hit the button again to stop. You will be asked to give the recording a name and the option to save it to your desired location.
That’s about it. The simplest ways to record videos using your webcam with the free tools that are available on macOS.