With the presence of so many video calling applications, one would think that Apple’ FaceTime would not be a force to reckon with. However, FaceTime, of late, has seen an incredible rise, and many iPhone/iPad/Mac users do not make phone calls anymore; they FaceTime. FaceTime’ an incredible feature, it connects you with fellow Apple users free of charge, and also provide an impeccable video and audio quality.
There will be many occasions when someone would need to record a FaceTime call. It could be any special moment such as a video birthday wish or it could be an important video meeting that needs to be played later. Luckily enough, FaceTime lets you record the call with relative ease, and importantly, you can do it on Mac, iPhone or iPad.
First of all, it is necessary to understand that the FaceTime recording feature on the iPhone is only limited to video recording. Sure, you can use the microphone app in tandem to record audio as well, but FaceTime own recording functionality doesn’t record audio. Moreover, FaceTime doesn’t notify when you start recording a call or receiver start recording your call. So, the best thing to do is to ask for consent before recording a FaceTime Call.
1. Launch the FaceTime App.
2. Tap the contact name you want to call.
3. Once connected, swipe up from the bottom of your screen to launch Control Center.
4. Now tap on the Recording Button. Remember, you may have to customize your Control Center if you do not see the Recording button on it.
5. Now, the 3 seconds countdown appears before the recording starts.
6. You will see the status bar at the top of your screen becomes red. You can tap on this status bar followed by a tap on the Stop button when you wish to end the recording. Additionally, you can again use the Record button in the Control Center to stop recording.
As said earlier, you can only record video directly from the FaceTime. However, recording audio is possible and you can do that by:
1. Follow the first three steps mentioned above.
2. Now, press-hold the Screen Recorder in the Control Center, and turn on Microphone.
3. The Microphone will capture the audio through your phone so make sure that you maximize your phone’ volume while recording.
Once you have recorded the FaceTime call, simply visit your Photos App to watch it. If the volume is too slow then you may have to use a third-party app to edit the recording. The same recording technique applies for Facebook, Skype and WhatsApp videos.
Mac’ QuickTime’ screen recording feature can come handy if you desire to record FaceTime calls on it. You can do that by:
1. Launch QuickTime on your Mac through the Dock.
2. Click on the option File located at the menu bar followed by a click on the option New Screen Recording.
3. Now click the arrow down icon next to the record button to open a drop-down menu. Click the option Internal Microphone from it.
4. Now open the FaceTime app.
5. Next, go to QuickTime and click the record button.
6. Now, click-drag the record over the FaceTime window because otherwise, it will record the whole screen.
7. Make your desired FaceTime call.
8. Once done, click the stop button. Now you can save the recording in your desired location by clicking the option File in the menu bar. Just follow the on-screen instructions as it is pretty much same as saving a Word file or an image from the internet.
Record a FaceTime call on your iPhone using your Mac:
You’d think why this would be needed, right? Well, it isn’t about the requirement, it is just about explaining another method to record a FaceTime call. Of course, this might be the last method you want to try, but you still may need it sometime. Here are the steps:
1. Connect the iPhone to Mac via a charging cable.
2. Launch QuickTime on Mac.
3. Click on the option File located at the menu bar followed by a click on the option New Screen Recording.
4. Now click the arrow down icon next to the record button to open a drop-down menu.
5. Choose iPhone from the list of available cameras.
6. Unlock iPhone so its display can be seen on the QuickTime.
7. Maximize the volume bar in QuickTime.
8. Open FaceTime app on iPhone followed by a click on the record button on the QuickTime
9. Place the FaceTime call on the iPhone.
10. Once done, click the stop button. Now you can save the recording in your desired location by clicking the option File in the menu bar. Just follow the on-screen instructions as it is pretty much same as saving a Word file or an image from the internet.
So, these are the simple methods through which you can record a FaceTime call. Make sure to notify your FaceTime partner about the recording as it is about the manners. Especially, the American people can land themselves in a lot of trouble if they don’t inform the FaceTime caller about the recoding beforehand as it is illegal in few American States to record a call without both parties’ consent.
Moreover, you can utilize many third-parties app to your advantage if you desire to record a fully polished call. For example, a popular third-party app called Ecamm’ Call Recorder not only let your record your FaceTime calls, but it also comes loaded with few editing options.
You can edit the sound quality, reposition the call window, and split-screen or use side-by-side modes through this app. This app can be helpful if the purpose of recording is on a professional level. If you are just recording the FaceTime calls from friends and family, you may not need to download this third-party app.