If you use a browser like Internet Explorer, then you’re bound to see the ‘There is a problem with this website’s security certificate’ message when you try and visit a website.
This error can come up in any browser such as Chrome, Microsoft Edge and Firefox.
Correct Workstation Time
The main reason why you’ll see the website security message is because your time zone is incorrect.
In this case, you may see a message saying, ‘The security certificate presented by this website has expired or is not yet valid’.
The security certificate hasn’t expired, it’s because your time doesn’t correlate with the website’s certificate.
- In the search bar, type time
- Click Change date and time
- If the time is wrong, Change it to the correct time
- If your time zone is wrong, Set the correct time zone
- Visit the website and the security message should go
Once you correct your time, you should no longer see the error message – go to the next step if you do.
Certificate Address Missmatch
If you see the ‘security of this website has expired or is not yet valid error’ message, it might be because the certificate has an address mismatch, therefore, you’ll need to stop your browser from warning you about this.
- Go to Internet Explorer
- Click the Settings icon
- Go to Internet Options
- Click the Advanced tab
- Uncheck Warn about certificate address mismatch
- Go back to the website and it should load normally
If these steps didn’t work, it looks like it had nothing to do with a mismatch and you should try installing a certificate.
Install a Certificate
The next thing you’ll have to do is install a certificate on the website that’s showing the error.
- Right-click on the IE icon and click Run as administrator
- Go to the website showing the error and click ‘Continue to this website’
- Click View certificate in the address bar
- Click Install Certificate > select Place all certificate in the following store
- Click browse > Trusted Root Certification Authorities > Ok
- Click Yes when a security message comes up
- Select OK for the following prompt messages you receive
After doing this, you should be able to visit the website without seeing any security warnings because you’ve installed a certificate.
Turn off your Firewall
The last thing you can try and do is to turn your firewall off.
If you’re using a firewall like Mcfee or Norton, visit the app to turn it off.
To turn off Windows firewall:
- Go to the Control panel
- Click on System and security
- Click on Windows Defender Firewall
- If you are using a firewall, click Turn Windows Defender firewall on or off
- Turn it off