If you were wondering how to print on Mac, then you’ve landed on the right page. It is important to know how to print documents, files, PDFs, etc, on a Mac. Whether it’s a MacBook or an iMac, the process of printing remains the same. It is an easy job too, and you won’t have to spend too much time to figure out how to get things printed on a Mac.
You may need to learn how to print on Mac so you take copies of your school work, a business plan, presentation, essay or photographs. Yes, you can print photos, as long as you have a printer that can do it. Most printers these days have the ability to print a photograph, so don’t worry about it. In this post, you will learn how to print all kinds of files and documents using your Mac computer.
There are two ways to print documents on your Mac. You can either use a printer connected via a cable, or you could use the AirPrint feature. The latter allows you to print wirelessly using a printer that supports AirPrint. Most printers that can connect to Wi-Fi will feature this technology. For the sake of learning, we will take a look at both these methods.
1. Print on Mac using Wired Printer
To print a document or picture on Mac using a wired Printer, you will need a USB cable that connects your Mac to the Printer. Usually, the printer comes with this cable, but if it doesn’t, then you can always get one online. Make sure that the cable is compatible with your Mac and fits into the USB port. Before you begin, turn on the Printer and connect it to your Mac computer using the USB cable.
The USB port on the Printer should be at the back, in case you weren’t able to find out. Now that the connection is done, you need to add the printer on your Mac. To do that, follow the steps below:
1. Click on the Apple Icon at the top.
2. Now select System Preferences and click on Printers & Scanners.
3. Make sure the printer is connected. It should appear in the list of printers.
4. Select the printer and click on the Add Printer ‘+’ button.
5. You should now have added the connected printer to the list of printers that can be used to print.
Now that you have added a new printer, you can open the file that you want to print and send it to the printer. The steps to print a file, photo, document, or anything else, is the same across macOS.
It doesn’t matter if you’re printing the document from Keynote, TextEdit, Word, Pages, Safari, PowerPoint, Adobe, etc, you will need to follow the steps below to get your document printed:
1. Click on the File button from the menu bar of the app.
2. Scroll down and select the Print option.
3. Now choose the Printer from the drop down menu. Make sure you select the connected printer.
4. Select the format, style, colour, pages, etc, and click the Print button.
5. Your document should now be printing from the connected Printer.
And that’s how to Print on Mac using a wired printer setup. It’s fairly simple and once you’ve added a printer, you no longer have to add it again. You can directly hit the Print option, make your changes, and you should the printed material in no time. As mentioned earlier, the Print option is available in the File menu on all apps.
2. Print on Mac using AirPrint
Next, we will show you how to print on Mac wirelessly, no cables attached. For this, you will need a Wi-Fi capable printer with support for Apple’s AirPrint technology. AirPrint will allow you to print any document without the need to install drivers on your Mac. The steps to printing using an AirPrint printer is similar to that of a wired printer.
However, since the Printer requires a Wi-Fi connection, you will need to connect it to your Wi-Fi network. Power up your printer and connect it to the Wi-Fi network. Both your Mac and the Printer need to be connected to say the Wi-Fi network.
Only then will you be able to print wirelessly. If you don’t know how to connect your Printer, use the manual that it came with. It should have all the details on how to connect to Wi-Fi, but the steps are usually very simple. Once you’ve done the above, follow the steps below to print your document.
1. Open the File that you want to Print.
2. Go to the File menu and select the Print option.
3. Now select the Printer that you have connected to your Wi-Fi. It should appear in this list.
4. Adjust the print settings as per your requirements and hit the Print button.
That’s about it. Your document should now begin printing via the connected printer, wirelessly. If you run into any problems with the printer, make sure that it is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Mac computer.
If you’re still having trouble with printing on Mac, then follow the steps below:
1. Check whether your printer is Mac compatible, and if you’re using AirPrint, then check if it comes with AirPrint technology. The printer manual should have this information. If it doesn’t, then you can do a quick search online to find out if it is compatible.
2. Check the ink cartridges on your Printer. If the ink levels are low, then the Printer will not print. You can find the printer ink cartridge information on the printer or in the Settings option.
3. Check your Wi-Fi connection and also check if you have installed the right drivers for a wired printer. Oh, and also make sure that the printer has enough paper.