Snapchat uses the Sent, Received, and Opened indicators to tell the staus of messages both at the recipient’s end and at your own end.
That is, Snapchat not only tells you the status of the message you sent, it also indicates the status of the message you received. In our previous article, we explained the meaning of the Received indicator.
In this article, we are going to explain what Opened means on Snapchat, and how the different colours and forms of the Opened indicator show the status of different messages on Snapchat.
What Does Blue Opened Mean on Snapchat
Like most other instant messaging platforms, Snapchat tells you the status of the message you sent. And while others use indicators like Seen, Read, or Blue ticks (like WhatsApp and iMessage), Snapchat uses the Opened status message.
Blue Opened on Snapchat means that you sent someone a normal chat message which they opened but did not respond to. This will have a hollow or unfilled blue arrow next to the Opened status message. On the end of the recipient, they will see a blue unfilled square with Received next to it.
If the recipient did not open the message, you would not see Opened, rather, you would see Delivered with a blue filled arrow next to it.
What Does Red Opened Mean on Snapchat
When you send a Snap that has no audio in it, the Snap is known as a red Snap. When you send this red Snap and the recipient opens it but does not respond, it is indicated by a hollow or unfilled red arrow with Opened on your end.
So, red Opened simply means that you sent a Snap that has no audio, the person opened the Snap, but they are yet to respond to your Snap. On the end of the recipient, they will have a red unfilled square with Received next to it.
If the recipient did not open the red Snap, you would not see Opened next to the message. Rather, you would see Delivered with a red filled arrow next to it.
What Does Purple Opened Mean on Snapchat
When you send a Snap that has audio in it, the Snap is called a Purple Snap. If the person you sent the purple Snap to opens the Snap but does not respond, you will see a hollow or unfilled purple arrow with Opened next to it.
So, purple Opened simply means that you sent a Snap that has audio in it, the person opened the Snap, but they have not yet responded to your Snap. On the end of the recipient, they will have a purple unfilled square with Received next to it.
If the recipient did not open the purple Snap, you would not see Opened next to the message on your end. Instead, you would see Delivered with a purple filled arrow next to it.
What does Green Opened Mean on Snapchat
You may already know about the Gifting feature on Snapchat. This allows you to send gifts that you have paid for with cash to another Snapchatter. The receiver then gets a percentage of the cost while Snapchat takes the bit left.
When you send a gift to someone and they open it, you will see a green unfilled or hollow arrow with Opened next to it. This means that the recipient has received and opened the cash gift but is yet to respond to you.
Snapchat Opened vs Received
Like we explained at the start of the article, Snapchat uses Sent, Received, and Opened to indicate the status of messages exchanged on the platform.
To show the status of a message you opened, Snapchat uses Received. To show the status of the message you sent to the other person and they opened, Snapchat uses Opened.
Below is a detailed side-by-side comparison of Opened vs Received on Snapchat for all the kinds of messages on Snapchat.
|Blue unfilled arrow with Opened means the other person opened your chat message but did not respond||Blue unfilled square with Received means that you opened a chat message but did not respond|
|Red unfilled arrow with Opened means the other person opened your Snap with no audio, but did not respond||Red unfilled square with Received means you opened a Snap that has no audio, but did not respond|
|Purple unfilled arrow with Opened means the other person opened your Snap with audio, but did not respond||Purple unfilled square with Received means you opened a Snap that has audio in it, but did not respond
|If the other person is yet to open the chat message, the blue arrow would be filled with Delivered next to it||If you are yet to open the chat message, the blue square would be filled with New Chat next to it|
|If the other person is yet to open your Snap with no audio, the red arrow would be filled with Delivered next to it||If you are yet to open the Snap with no audio in it, the red square would be filled with New Snap next to it|
|If the other person is yet to open your Snap with audio, the purple arrow would be filled with Delivered next to it
|If you are yet to open the Snap with audio in it, the purple square would be filled with New Snap next to it|
Why Does It Say Opened on Snapchat When I Just Added Them
If you see Opened on a conversation with another Snapchatter when you have just added them as a friend and did not send them any messages, it can only be that you have had them as a friend before and exchanged messages with them at the time.
Here’s how it works:
1. You were Snapchat friends with this person before
2. You sent the person a message while you were still friends
3. The person opened the message but did not respond to it
4. Then, while the message was still unopened, you removed the person as a friend
5. Naturally, when you remove the person, the message you sent is also removed
6. Then, you added the person as a friend again
7. When you add the person back as a friend, you will see Opened in your chat with them even though you did not send them a new message.
Snapchat Opened Glitch
As a Snapchat user, you may have or even still be experiencing some glitches with the Opened indicator, where Snapchat displays wrong information about when your chat or Snap was opened. This usually happens with Snaps more than chats. For example:
1. You may send a Snap to someone and they open it. And then you may even see the correct timeline like Opened 1w, 2w, and so on. Only for you to go back at a later date and see Opened Just Now
2. Or, you may go back to a Snap you sent, say 6 months ago only to see Opened 1 day ago
3. Or, you may send a Snap now and the Snap is not opened until about 5 hours later which is rightly indicated in the Opened time. Only for you to check later and it says Opened at the original time you sent it. This could leave you confused which time is the right one.
4. Or, when you send a Snap and exit the Snapchat app, it will say Opened Just Now every time you open Snapchat again.
For some Snapchatters, this happens with a specific user or set of users. For others, it can happen randomly with anyone on their Snapchat friends list.
Another strange thing is that, after sending the Snap, you may actually have chat conversations with the person. And still you see Opened just now for the snap you sent a while ago.
Opened Glitch Scenarios
The fact that there are several ways this issue manifests makes it harder to trace the cause of the glitch and fix it. Some users notice that this happens when the person opens your message but does not respond, and then you scroll up through your conversations with the person after some unsaved messages were deleted. When you leave the chat again, it says Opened Just Now.
Others notice this when the person you sent the Snap or chat to clears the conversation on their end without responding to your last message.
Whatever the case, this behaviour is not normal and is an indication of a glitch either on the Snapchat app or on Snapchat servers. We have provided a list of proven fixes to resolve this problem and get the Opened indicator working well again.
Fixes for Snapchat Opened Glitch
Fix – Restart App
Issues like the Opened glitch are often a minor, temporary error on the Snapchat app that requires you to just restart the app and get it working well again. When you restart the app, it reloads the application data afresh from the cache memory, and eliminates issues that may have occured on the current use.
To restart the Snapchat app:
1. Exit the Snapchat app
2. Swipe it away from recent items
3. Wait 30 seconds, then open Snapchat again.
Fix 2 – Clear Cache
The next fix to try when clearing the Snapchat Opened glitch is to clear the Snapchat app cache. In the first fix above, we talked about reloading application data from the cache memory. Cache is a type of temporary storage that holds user data for an app. Whenever you launch the app, data from the cache are loaded to:
- Speed up retrieval of user data like images, preferences, and settings, so as to load the app faster
- Store data that are used repeatedly on the app so you don’t have to perform certain actions like log in evert time you open the app
So, when the data in the cache becomes corrupt, it could cause the app to malfunction and result in issues like the Opened glitch on Snapchat. To fix this, you need to delete all the data in the cache, using the steps below:
Method A: Using Snapchat
You could clear the cache from within the Snapchat app by following these steps:
1. Tap your profile icon to open your profile details on Snapchat
2. At the top right of the screen, select Settings
3. Scroll all the way down to the Account Actions section, and select Clear Cache
4. You will receive a prompt to confirm the action. Tap on Continue
5. The Snapchat cache will be cleared
If this method does not fix the problem for you, you would have to use your phone’s cache clearing feature to thoroughly wipe the cache.
Method B: Using Phone Clear Cache Feature
1. Long-press the Snapchat app
2. Select App Info
3. Select Clear Data
4. Select Clear Cache
5. Confirm to clear the cache when prompted
1. Navigate to Settings on your device
2. Select General
3. Select iPhone Storage
4. Select Snapchat
5. Select Offload app
6. Confirm the action
7. Select Reinstall app
Fix 2 – Update App
Another possible reason why you are getting the wrong Opened time for your sent chat or Snap is that the Snapchat app on your phone has developed a bug that can only be fixed by installing the latest updates.
Bugs are errors that occur in the code of applications. In most cases, the app developers become aware of the error and release updates to fix the bug. That’s why you need to make sure that your Snapchat and all other apps on your phone have the latest software updates installed.
To update your Snapchat:
1. Go to the App Store or Play Store
2. Search for Snapchat and select it from the results
3. Tap update to the right of the screen to update the app
Fix 3 – Log Out and Log Back In
One common reason why your Snapchat may show the wrong Opened time is that your current login session has become corrupt. When you log into Snapchat, your login session is saved and you do not need to log in again every time you open the app.
However, there may be an issue either on Snapchat servers or on your Snapchat app that causes you to lose full functionality on the app. This can cause errors like showing you the wrong time that a user opened your Snap or chat.
To fix this, you need to log out of Snapchat and then log back in using the steps below:
1. Tap your profile icon to open your profile details on Snapchat
2. At the top right of the screen, select Settings
3. Scroll to the end of the page and select Log Out
4. You may be prompted to save your login info before logging out, especially if you had just cleared the cache. Select No so that you log in afresh next time
5. Confirm to log out when prompted
6. On the page that opens, tap Log In to log back into your Snapchat account
This should fix the error of saying Opened Just Now or giving a wrong Opened time on your Snapchat app.
Fix 4 – Reinstall App
If logging out and logging back in does not fix the issue for you, it could be that the Snapchat app version on your device has developed a serious bug for which there is no current fix.
In that case, you would need to uninstall the app and reinstall it. You would not lose your friends, conversations, stories or any other data because they are stored on Snapchat servers, and not on your phone.
To uninstall Snapchat:
1. Press and hold the Snapchat app on your phone
2. Select Uninstall or Remove, depending on your device OS
3. Confirm to uninstall Snapchat from your device
4. Then, go back to your device app store, search for Snapchat and reinstall it.
Then check and see if the issue of showing the wrong Opened time for your Snaps and chat has cleared.
Fix 5 – Wait for Issues on Snapchat Servers to Resolve
There have been a number of occasions where Snapchat services suffered a glitch and resulted in abnormal behaviour on the app including users being unable to log in, log in impossible using cellular data, messages showing Received when you did not open the message, messages showing Opened when they have not been opened, and messages showing Opened Just Now when they were opened long ago.
You can check Snapchat service status on any or a combination of the sites listed below:
As at the time of writing this article, users were reporting several issues on Snapchat in the US and the UK, as seen on Down Inspector
You could also check the Snapchat Support page on Twitter for status updates.
Fix 6 – Contact Snapchat Support
You could reach out to Snapchat on the Twitter page provided above. You could also get support from the web support page.