Lenovo laptops are known for having issues with their webcams not working. It seems as though the webcam is not being detected by Windows or there is an issue with the device driver. This is an irritating problem to have that is common among Lenovo cameras, but could happen to any webcam out there. The steps in this artice are directed towards Lenovo cameras, but could helpful when facing issues with other webcams too.
One of the main issues that have been found to cause this problem is with a setting in some of the Lenovo laptops that is responsible for disabling the camera for the purpose of privacy of the laptop user. It is a nice thought that Lenovo had in adding this feature to protect the privacy of their users, but in reality, it can cause issue with getting the camera to work the way it is supposed to.
If you are one of the lucky ones out there, this will be the only thing causing problems with your camera. If this isn’t the cause of your problems, then you will have to try a couple different things to get your camera to work properly.
This is by far the simplest way to fix this issue and is probably a long shot because of it. Simply hit the F8 key on your keyboard to enable or disable the Lenovo EasyCamera. If this doesn’t do the trick, then you need to keep reading.
1. Type lenovo into the Windows Search box and then choose the Lenovo Settings
2. Select Camera and then scroll until you see Privacy Mode
3. You need to turn Privacy Mode from ON to OFF
4. Now, retest your camera
This setting was added as protection as mentioned before because hackers have all sorts of reasons they could want access to your camera. The following methods can be used on any Windows computer to try and fix issues with a webcam.
If your webcam still isn’t working after you have tried the first two methods, then you need to check in your device manager to see if your webcam is enabled or not.
1. Right click the Windows Start button and choose Device Manager
2. Choose Imaging Devices and then Lenovo EasyCamera. If there is a down facing arrow next to it that means that the camera has been disabled, and if there is a yellow warning triangle by the icon then there is a problem with it
3. Next, you need to right click the Lenovo EasyCamera to make sure that theres no choice to enable it and if the camera is already enabled, you will see the option to disable
4. If the camera is enabled and you are still having issues, the next step is to update the driver
5. To do this, right click on Lenovo EasyCamera and choose the Update Driver option
6. You want to choose the automatic option to have Windows look for a new driver
7. Wait until the updated driver is installed and then retest your camera
If that doesn’t work, then you need to try a complete reset which is where you uninstall the driver, restart your computer, and install the newest driver.
If your camera works in some programs but not with others, then your program settings may be the issue and not the camera settings.
1. Open the program you have issues with when trying to use the camera and open the Settings menu
2. You need to make sure that the Lenovo EasyCamera is the default camera in its settings
Yes, this seems like a silly fix, but you would be surprised by how often this is actually the case.
The last chance you have at fixing this problem yourself is to completely delete the Lenovo Settings app. This usually is not necessary, but if none of the previous methods worked for you, then it couldn’t hurt to try this since it won’t negatively affect your computer.
1. Open your Control Panel in Windows
2. Now, select Programs and Features and Uninstall
3. Then, select Lenovo Settings Dependency Package and select
4. Finally, reboot your laptop and test your camera again
If the camera still doesn’t work after trying all of these different methods, then you will need to go ahead and call Lenovo Support. If none of these methods worked, that means that there is something seriously wrong with the laptop or the camera itself.