Facebook Messenger is an easy and convenient way to talk to your friends and family. You can use the Messenger feature can be used on your mobile device and on your computer.
There is no need to download anything onto your computer to use Messenger, but you will need the Messenger App on your mobile device. You can Download it through the App Store or through the Google Play Store.
The nice thing about using Messenger, compared to just texting someone, is that you can actually see if they are online before you start a conversation. This can help solve the issue of starting a conversation with someone by sending a message, and them not seeing it for days before they finally reply. But how can you tell who is online and who isn’t? Here is a breakdown for you.
1. Mobile Device
- Go ahead and open your Messenger App on your device.
- If you are not already logged in to your profile you will need to enter your Username and Password and tap Log in
2. Next, find your Menu Bar and Tap the People icon.
- On your iPhone the Menu Bar will be at the bottom of your screen and on your Android, it will be at the top of your screen
3. After you open this section, you can tap the Active tab on your iPhone to see which of your Friends in currently Active on Facebook or Messenger. For Android, tap the People button at the bottom of the screen that looks like two heads.
A list of your friends will appear that are Currently Online and able to see your messages immediately. If your friend or relative that you are trying to contact doesn’t use the Messenger app they will not show up in your list, even if they use Facebook
- On iPhone, Active Friends will have a Blue Messenger Icon next to their profile picture.
- On Android, Active Friends will have a Green Dot next to their profile picture
You can still send messages to people who aren’t online at the time.
You can also search for a certain person by typing their name in the search bar at the top of the screen.
2. Your Computer
1. Open your favorite web browser and go to Facebook.com. If you are not already logged in to your profile you will need to enter your Username and Password and click Log in
2. You need to click on the Chat button that is in the bottom right corner of the page
- The number in parenthesis next to Chat is the number of Active Friends
- This will open a pop-up window with a list of those people
3. Next, type in the name of the friend you want to message into the Search field
- A list of results will show up, if the person has a Green Dot next to their name, they are online and able to see your message immediately
- Just so you are made aware, your friends can change their Chat Settings to show that they are Offline even if they aren’t.