In this post, you will learn how to fix iTunes songs greyed out issue, which is a common occurrence on several users accounts. If you are facing this problem with your iTunes, then do not worry. We have included several ways to fix this issue and you will be able to play all your music in no time.
Apple’s iTunes is a really good media player for both Windows and Mac computers. The latter comes pre-installed with the player, but you can also install iTunes on your Windows PC.
Thanks to features like iCloud sync, iTunes makes it easy to have access to all your music from one single place, even if they aren’t stored on your computer. Unfortunately, the media library can sometimes face issues where some of the songs are greyed out and cannot be played.
Why are iTunes Songs Greyed Out?
Before we get to the part where we tell you how to fix this issue, let us learn why this happens in the first place. You’ve just launched iTunes to play a playlist and suddenly notice that some of the songs are greyed out. These greyed out songs cannot be played and now you’re all sad. However, there is a way to get this issue sorted out so you will be able to listen to all your songs on iTunes.
The main reason for a song to be greyed out on iTunes, is a sync issue. Sometimes, if the sync is partially completed, then some iTunes songs are greyed out. These songs are not on the current device that you’re using, and have to be synced over the air so you can listen to on the device that you’re currently using. The sync issue can be due to a bad internet connection.
The iTunes songs greyed out issue can also happen is if the songs are corrupted at the original source. If, for example, you deleted some songs from your MacBook and are trying to listen to those songs on your iMac or desktop PC, then it will not play. These songs are deleted at the original source, and even a full sync will not let you listen to them. Ultimately, you will be present with the greyed out songs.
Also, if the song has been downloaded in an unsupported format, or are DRM protected, then iTunes will not play these songs. You may need to purchase them first. At times, there can also be a licensing issue. This means, that if you purchased songs from the iTunes store, you may not be able to play them on Apple Music.
Now that we know some of the reasons why this happens, we can try out a few methods to fix the problem. Below are some of the ways to try and fix iTunes songs greyed out issue.
1. Check Settings on iTunes
The first thing to do is to make sure that all the settings in iTunes are right. If you turned off/on something by mistake, then that could be the reason why some songs are greyed out. There is one particular setting that when turned on, could cause this. To turn it off, follow the steps below:
1. Launch iTunes.
2. In Music Library, scroll down to a song that’s been greyed out.
3. Right click on this song and select the option that says ‘Check Selection’.
Most likely, by doing so, you may have fixed the problem. If you have, then you will be able to play the song.
2. Download Greyed Out Song Again
This is an easy fix, but do it only if you’re connected to a Wi-Fi network. You can simply re-download the song that has been greyed out. If you have already purchased this song, but it isn’t playing on iTunes, then you may have to download it again. To do this:
1. Open iTunes.
2. Head to the iTunes Store.
3. Select your account and look for Purchased.
4. You should now see all the songs that you have bought.
5. Select the greyed out song from this list and download it by clicking on the Download option. It should look like a cloud with a downward pointing arrow.
Now, once the songs are downloaded, it would be a good idea to re-sync your music library.
3. Perform a Re-Sync
As mentioned in the beginning, if you deleted songs from another machine, then the songs would be listed as greyed out and you won’t be able to play them. Therefore, it is a great idea to re-sync these songs by deleting the greyed out songs and refreshing your iTunes library by syncing with your iOS device.
4. Re-Authorize Computer
You can also try to re-authorize your computer with iTunes to see if this fixes the issue. To do so, you will first need to de-authorize your computer, and then authorize it again. Here’s how to do this:
1. Open iTunes on your computer.
2. Select Account on the top menu bar.
3. Head to Authorisations and select ‘De-authorise this Computer’.
4. Once this is done, sign out of your iTunes account.
5. Restart your computer, launch iTunes again and Sign in using your Apple ID.
6. Now follow the steps above once again to head to the Accounts tab, go to Authorisations, and click on ‘Authorise this Computer’.
That’s it. Hopefully, this should solve any issues and you should be able to get rid of the greyed out songs and listen to your music once again.
Finally, you can also try to fix this issue from your iOS device. To do this, you will need to follow the steps below:
1. Launch Settings app on your iDevice.
2. Click on your Apple ID, then head to iCloud > iCloud Storage.
3. Now select Manage Storage and select Music.
4. Then select Edit and delete the greyed out song.
5. Connect your iDevice to your computer and perform a sync to fix greyed out songs.
There you go. These are some of the ways to fix the issue with greyed out songs appearing in your iTunes library.