If you have heard about this paid plan, you may have heard about some of the features and privileges it comes with, and you want to find out if it is worth spending your money on, especially given the fact that it is a recurrent monthly subscription.
Snapchat has been a pioneer in many aspects when it comes to instant messaging and content-sharing platforms. They were the first to introduce screenshot notifications, for example. And that feature was immediately made available to all users for free.
The introduction of Snapchat plus promises even more firsts but this time, they come at a cost.
In this article, we are going to explore all the details and features of Snapchat Plus to enable you to make an informed decision on whether it is worth a go or not.
Snapchat Plus Features
Snapchat Plus comes with 6 main features currently known to the public. There may be other little perks that one may discover during the use of Snapchat+. However, we have detailed all the 6 known features of Snapchat Plus as provided by Snapchat itself.
1. Seeing How Many Friends Watched Your Story More Than Once
Normally on Snapchat, you are able to see people who watched your story by swiping up from the bottom of the story to see who viewed it. However, you would not know if friends have watched your story more than once.
With Snapchat Plus, you can see how many friends viewed your story more than once. You would know this if you see the eyes 👀 icon under the story.
Please note that the number beside the eyes 👀 icon shows how many friends rewatched the story, not the number of times the story was rewatched.
2. Pinning A Friend To The Top Of Your Friends List As BFF
With Snapchat plus, you can pin a friend to the top of your friend’s list as your #1 BFF. Normally, if you and a friend are each other’s top friends for at least 2 weeks in a row, you become BFFs with a red heart next to your name.
Now you can choose any friend, even if they were not already a BFF to be your number one BFF. Please note that you can only pin one #1 BFF at any given time.
To do this:
1. Go to the Chat or Send To screen
2. Press and hold the friend
3. From the menu that appears, tap on Pin As Your #1 Best Friend
3. Change The Snapchat Icon With Several Exclusive Snapchat Icons
With Snapchat Plus, you no longer have just the standard yellow Snapchat icon. You have access to about 30 icons to choose from, including ones in your country colors, LGBTQ colors, and some fun ones like ghosts and so on.
To change your icon:
1. Go to your profile
2. Select the Snapchat Plus membership card
3. Tap on App Icon
4. Then select the icon you want to use
At the time of release, this feature was only available to iPhone users. Now, it has also been made available to Android OS users. So, whether you are using iOS or Android OS, you can now customize your Snapchat icon.
If you are using an Android OS and you find that you are still unable to customize your Snapchat icons after paying for Snapchat Plus, you simply need to update your Snapchat app using the steps below:
1. Open Play Store on your phone
2. Type Snapchat in the search bar and select it from the results
3. On the Snapchat page, tap Update at the top right of the page to update your Snapchat.
4. If an Update is not yet available, just give it a few days because they may be rolled out gradually across geographical locations.
5. A Star Icon Next To Your Snapchat Profile Name
There are already several badges and stars on Snapchat. However, with Snapchat Plus, you get a special badge which is a white star in a black circle next to your name on your profile page.
4. Ghost trails on Snap Maps
This will allow you to check the location history of friends for the past 24 hours. This may be a tad creepy but thankfully, the Ghost Trail feature only works if the friend is sharing their location with you in the first place.
Also, this feature will not work if Snapchat Plus is not available in the country where the friend lives.
Sharing location is optional. If a friend has this turned on, you can view their location trail in the last 24 hours by:
1. Tapping on your friend’s Bitmoji on the Map
2. Their Ghost Trail will be revealed for the last 24 hours
You can clear your own Ghost Trail so friends do not see your location history by:
1. Going to Snap Map settings
2. Toggle Ghost Mode on
3. Then toggle Ghost Mode off
4. This will clear your Ghost Trail
5. Friend Solar System
Some users have had a bit of confusion around this feature. We will try our best to explain it in clear detail.
When you subscribe to Snapchat Plus, you will see a Best Friends or Friends badge on someone’s Friendship Profile with a gold ring around the badge.
If you see Best Friends, it means that you and the person are one of each other’s 8 closest friends on Snapchat.
If you see Friends, it means that you are one of their 8 closest friends but they are not one of yours.
Now, here’s how Solar System works:
If you tap on the Friends or Best Friends badge, you will see what planet you are on their Friendship Solar system.
The position of your planet in the solar system represents your position as their closest friend. So, if your friend is the Sun, and your planet is Earth, you are their third closest friend. If your planet is Mercury, then you are their number 1 best friend. And so on.
Solar System Details:
On Snapchat, here are the planets in chronological order of their position to the Sun:
Pros and Cons of Snapchat Plus
|Pros of Snapchat Plus||Cons of Snapchat Plus|
|With Snapchat Plus, you enjoy the extra features listed above at just $3.99 per month||Most of these features are likely to be made available to all users down the line, according to Snapchat. So, it may not be worth the rush anyway|
|Snapchat Plus allows you to monitor your content engagement with the rewatch feature||You already have a count of how many people have watched your story. It would have been better if the rewatch feature allowed you to see who exactly rewatched it and maybe how many times it was rewatched, and not just how many people rewatched it.|
|You are able to track your friend’s location path in the past 24 hours||Some users may find this creepy and may cease to share their location with you completely. Some subscribers canceled their subscription because of this feature alone|
Snapchat Plus vs Normal Snapchat
Below is a basic comparison of Standard Snapchat and Snapchat Plus. This will provide better context for Snapchat Plus and help you decide whether it is worth it.
|Snapchat Plus||Normal Snapchat|
|You get to know your position on your friend’s best friends list||You only get to know that you are on your friend’s Best Friends list but you cannot know your position|
|You can permanently pin a friend as number 1 BFF||You only become BFFs if you are each other’s top friends for 2 weeks in a row. And this can always change|
|You can choose whatever icon you want for your Snapchat app to represent things that matter to you like your country, socio-political inclinations, and so on||You only get to use the standard yellow and white icon|
|You can see how many friends watched your story more than once||You only get to see how many friends watched your story. You cannot know how many friends watched it more than once.|
|You get a special Snapchat Plus badge on your profile to show others that you are a Snapchat+ subscriber.||You do not get a special badge on your profile.|
|With Ghost trail, you can see where your friends have been in the last 24 hours. This is not just fun stuff; it can also come in handy when you need to find someone or trace their path in a security situation||You do not get to see your friends’ location path|
How Much is Snapchat Plus
Snapchat Plus costs $3.99 per month, $21.99 for 6 months, and $39.99 for a year. Apparently, Snapchat has shaved off a whopping 8% and 16% from the 6-month and 12-month fees respectively. When Snapchat Plus was introduced, you had to pay $33.99 for 6 months, and $61.99 for a year.
It is also available for a 7-day free trial, so you can try it out to see if it’s something you really want to pay for.
As we mentioned earlier, it is suggested that most of these Snapchat Plus features may be made available to standard users in the future, but in the meanwhile, you can only enjoy them if you have Snapchat Plus. It is also important to note that Snapchat Plus does not remove ads.
Snapchat Plus will be available to select locations for now including:
- New Zealand
- Saudi Arabia
- The United States
- The United Kingdom
- United Arab Emirates (UAE)
How to Get Snapchat Plus
1. Tap on your Snapchat profile
2. Tap on the Snapchat Plus banner just under your profile name and star sign
3. Then proceed to choose which subscription you want
4. You will be prompted to use either your Apple ID, your Google account, or a linked debit/credit card to complete the process
How to Cancel Snapchat Plus Subscription
If you try Snapchat Plus and find that it is not worth it, you can easily cancel your subscription whether you are using the 7-day free trial or a fully-paid subscription.
To cancel, please follow these steps:
1. Open the Settings app on your phone. Please note that this is your iOS Settings, not the Snapchat settings
2. Tap on your name
3. Select Subscriptions
4. Tap on the Snapchat Plus subscription
5. Select Cancel Subscription
1. Open the Google Play app
2. At the top right, tap the profile icon
3. Tap Payments & subscriptions
4. Select Subscriptions
5. Select the Snapchat Plus subscription
6. Tap Cancel subscription
7. Follow the instructions to complete the cancellation
Request Refund for Snapchat Plus
If you pay for Snapchat Plus but decide to cancel and request a refund, please follow the steps below:
1. Sign in to reportaproblem.apple.com
2. Tap or click I’d Like To
3. Then choose to Request a Refund from the options
4. Choose the reason why you want to request a refund and select Next
5. Select Snapchat Plus, then select Submit
You can request a refund on Google Play if it has been less than 48 hours since your Snapchat Plus subscription.
If you do not find Snapchat Plus in your recent purchases, you can use the Google Play website to request a refund using the steps below:
1. Go to play.google.com and sign in
2. At the top right, click your profile icon
3. Select Payments & Subscriptions
4. Then select Budget & order history
5. Find Snapchat Plus.
6. Select Request a Refund or Report a Problem
7. Choose the option that describes your situation
8. Complete the form and note that you’d like a refund
9. You’ll get a message that says “Thank You for Sharing Your Concerns
10. You’ll also receive an email with a refund decision
Please note that refunds cannot be requested directly to Snapchat. You must use your device’s OS store to request a refund and a refund is not guaranteed.
IOS and Android each have their refund policies. For example, for users in the UK and the EEU, you have a standard courtesy refund 2 hours after the purchase. Refund requests later than that are subject to terms and conditions.