While the lock screen on your iPhone proves to be especially useful when children or nosy family members come to visit, it can be quite a hassle when your iPhone gets stuck on the lock screen.
This leaves the screen to become completely non-responsive, despite the fact that you may be entering the correct passcode or using your thumbprint accordingly. While this problem tends to usually happen on older iPhone models, new models are not immune from the dilemma.
This is a fairly common problem that usually isn’t cause for concern as there are many effective troubleshooting methods you can carry out to get things working normally again. To get started, follow the instructions below,
Power Off Your iPhone
This method is usually the first call of action when there’s a problem with your iPhone, or any device for that matter. To power off your device, follow the instructions below,
1. Press and hold the Top or Side button until the slide to power off slider appears. Note: If you have an iPhone X or later model, you’ll have to hold the Side button and one Volume button for the slider to appear.
2. Drag the slider to turn off your device.
3. Repeat step #1 to turn on your device.
Now check to see if you’re able to navigate beyond the lock screen.
Force Restart Your iPhone
If powering off your iPhone didn’t work, force restarting it is your next safest bet. This will refresh your device, and not to worry, all your data will remain in place. Force restarting your iPhone doesn’t delete anything on the device. To get started, follow the instructions below,
1. Press and hold the Power and Home button until the Apple logo appears. Note: 7 and 7 Plus press and hold the Power and Volume Down button until the Apple logo appears. For iPhone 8 and above models, first click and release the Volume Up button, then click and release the Volume Down button, then press and hold the Power button until the slide to power off slider appears. Slide the slider to the right to hard reset your phone.
2. Release the buttons once you see the Apple logo and wait while your iPhone restarts.
This process may take a few seconds. Please be patient. Once your iPhone restarts, check to see if you’re able to navigate beyond the lock screen.
Make a Call to Your iPhone
If you’re in possession of another cell phone or landline, make a call to your frozen iPhone. This may cause your iPhone’s screen to wake up and get unlocked.
Restore iPhone Using iTunes
Another solution that is likely to solve your problem is restoring your iPhone with iTunes. Please note, however, that this will delete all of your device’s data. If you have a recent backup of your device, you can always restore your device with the backup, thereby, maintaining your data. In order to restore your iPhone using iTunes, follow the instructions below,
1. Launch iTunes on your computer and connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable.
2. On the upper left corner of the iTunes window, click on the icon of your device.
3. Click Summary.
4. Click Restore iPhone in order to restore your iPhone.
This process may be time consuming. After you’ve restored your device, you can use your backup in order to restore all your data.
Use ReiBoot Tool
ReiBoot is an online tool that is used to repair technical problems with your iPhone. One of the many benefits of using this tool is that you don’t have to deal with iTunes. Furthermore, the best part about using ReiBoot is that once you connect your iPhone to your computer, ReiBoot will automatically be able to detect problems on your device.
You may even discover problems that you didn’t know you had. ReiBoot also solves your problem without deleting any data on your device. Nonetheless, it’s still important to always backup your device, in case something ever goes wrong, and your data accidentally gets deleted. In order to get started using ReiBoot to fix your device, follow the instructions below,
1. Launch ReiBoot on your computer and connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable.
2. Once ReiBoot detects your device, click Repair Operating System.
3. Click Start Repair to download the IPSW file.
4. You’ll be prompted to download the appropriate firmware for your device. Click Download to download the proper firmware.
5. Click Start Repair to begin the system repair process.
Please note that this process may take some time. Once the process has completed, check to see if you can navigate beyond your lock screen. Keep the ReiBoot tool in mind for future references if you ever experience this problem again, or other problems such as a black screen, recovery mode loop, and more.