Not to mention the elephant in the room, but the truth of the matter is, many of us change the time on our iPhone and iPad by ourselves, in order to get extra lives and bonus points on games such as Candy Crush Saga. You may think that changing such a minor detail on your device may cause no harm, but that is very far from the truth.
If you find that the time on your iPad or iPhone changed on its own, this too, can be cause for trouble. Having an iPhone or iPad show the wrong time, isn’t usually a single problem, since this small error can lead to countless other problems on your device. You may find that you’re unable to send messages, open certain applications, or even make calls when your device has the wrong time.
Changing the time yourself for a game, doesn’t sound so appealing now, does it? Luckily there’s a simple way to fix this problem, and even set your device to update the time and date automatically, based on your location.
If your iPhone or iPad consistently shows the wrong time on its own, it’s likely that the devices battery is being run down, before being left off for long periods of time. In other words, after your devices battery has been completely drained, the internal battery eventually dies, and an incorrect time is shown on your iPad or iPhone.
However, using the solution below your iPhone or iPad will automatically fix this problem once it’s powered on again, as long as it’s connected to the internet. Follow the instructions below to set your device to automatically show the correct time,
1. Open the Settings application on your device. The application has a grey background with an icon of a gear on it. This application is usually found on your Home screen.
2. Scroll down and click General.
3. Click Date & Time.
4. You will see a toggle button labeled Set Automatically. Toggle the button in order to enable it. If it is already enabled, disable it for at least 15 seconds, and then enable it again. This will refresh the option. The button should be green when enabled.
5. Underneath Set Automatically, there will be a Time Zone label. Make sure that the time zone is set accordingly based on your current location.
You have now set your device to automatically update the time based on your location. This process is carried out by extracting the exact date and time from remote time servers, hosted by Apple. By enabling the Set Automatically option, you have enabled your phone to edit the current time based on what location you’re in.
In other words, if you travel, your devices time will update automatically. However, do remember that you need an internet or data connection in order for this to work. Your iPhone or iPad will detect your location using this connection, and then show the updated time accordingly.
Ensure Location Services are Enabled
Although your device will automatically update the time based on your location, often times users accidentally disable this setting without realizing it, by disabling Location Services. Location Services is what allows Apple and other third-party application on your device to gather and use information based on your current location.
It’s essential for this service to be enabled in order for the time on your device to be updates automatically. When location services are being used on your device, a small triangle will appear in the status bar towards the top of your iPhone’s screen. In order to make sure you haven’t inadvertently disabled location services, follow the instructions below,
1. Open the Settings application on your device as you had done earlier. Remember, the application has a grey background with an icon of a gear.
2. Scroll down and click Privacy.
3. Click Location Services. Ensure that Location Services are enabled. The toggle button should be green.
4. Scroll down and click System Services.
5. Scroll down until you see a toggle button for Setting Time Zone. Ensure that the toggle button is enabled. The button should be green when enabled.
You may now exit the Settings application by pressing the Home button. You have now set your clock to adjust accordingly based on your location. Note: if your device is not often connected to the internet or you lack data, and you prefer to change the time manually, follow the instructions in part #1 of this tutorial until step #3, then do the following,
1. Toggle the Set Automatically button to the off position. The button should no longer be green when disabled.
2. Adjust the date and time manually based on the controls that appear.
3. Exit Settings when you’re done.
You have now fixed the time on your device. For future references, avoid changing the time on your device to an incorrect time, for purposes of gaming or anything else of the sort. This will not only interrupt many processes on your phone, but may also cause problems in the game you’re trying to succeed in.
There have been reports that once you change back the time to what is correct based on your location, the game which recognized the incorrect time may malfunction or not adjust its settings based on the current correct time. It seems even technology agrees that honesty is always the best policy.