To be clear, logging into someone else’s account without permission or authorization is illegal, and is not permitted by Snapchat either. This article assumes that there is a good, defensible reason for trying to log into someone’s Snapchat account without their express permission.
Having said that, there are indeed occasions where you may need to access someone’s stored communications but are unable to obtain their permission before doing that. Different platforms have different responses to third-party access to user accounts.
For Snapchat, you may want to know if the person will find out when you log into their account. You may also want to know if there’s a way they can find out who exactly logged into their account without their permission.
The answers to this are pretty straightforward and we have detailed all the possible implications of logging into someone’s Snapchat account without their permission.
If I Log Into Snapchat on Another Device Will It Notify Me?
Yes, Snapchat does send you an email and SMS messages when someone logs into your account from a different location, IP address, or device. But this is if you only have a phone number linked to your account and not am email address. If you have an email address linked as well, it would be the primary means of communication from Snapchat.
If you do not have your phone number linked but your email instead, you receive an email that someone logged into your account.
If you are using Snapchat when the third-party login occurs, you will receive an in-app prompt stating that you will be logged out as you are logged into another device.
If you do not have an email address and phone number registered to Snapchat, you will not get a notification that someone has logged into your account.
Other ways you may know that someone logged into your Snapchat account:
1. Login Request on Launch
When you open Snapchat, you do not normally have to log in because your login details are already saved in the phone’s cache memory. You only need to log in again if you logged out before closing the app the last time you used it.
So, if you just exited the app normally, and you are prompted to log in again the next time you launch Snapchat, then it is almost certain that someone had logged into your account using another device.
2. Your Registered Email Address or Linked Phone Number is Changed
If your registered email address or linked phone number is changed, then you are certain that someone has logged into your Snapchat account. You may not get a notification for this. Or you may get one but not take note of it. So, you could confirm your details from time to time using these steps:
1. Tap your profile icon at the top of any window on Snapchat
2. Select Settings (the gear icon at the top right of your profile screen)
3. Your email address and phone number should be displayed on the page
4. Confirm from time to time that they are correct
To prevent someone else from logging into your account, you need to implement the following security controls:
Use a Strong Password and Keep it Private:
It is unlikely that someone else logged into your account because you released your password to them. Many times, people successfully guess passwords using important dates, names and so on.
So, in order to keep your Snapchat account secure, use passwords that are not easy to guess. You do not need to make it complicated with symbols and numbers. Snapchat recommends using short phrases and sentences to make it long yet memorable. And then maybe add a number at the beginning or end.
Verify Your Email And Phone Number
Make sure you have both your email and phone number linked to Snapchat, and then verify them using links or codes that are sent to you. If someone tries to log in using another device, especially from another location, they will be prompted to enter your verified phone number or email address.
Set Up Two-factor Authentication
Enable two-factor authentication or login verification to ensure that every new login prompts the person to enter a verification or Login code.
To set up two-factor authentication:
1. Tap your profile icon on Snapchat
2. Select Settings
3. Tap on Two-factor authentication
4. Tap on Continue
5. Select Text Verification to receive a code on your registered phone number
6. Enter the code you received into Snapchat to complete the setup.
You can also use the Authenticator App option to use an authentication app like Google Authenticator.
If your account gets locked because of an unusual login activity, you can use this link to contact Snapchat support to unlock your account. Be sure to provide an email address that works, and be ready to provide details about your account like username, last successful login by you, and so on.
If I Log Into Someone’s Snapchat Will They Know
Yes. If you obtain someone’s Snapchat login details and log into their account, they will know that someone has logged into their account. Here’s why:
Snapchat only permits users to log into one device at a time using the same login details. When a user logs into their Snapchat account, the IP address of the device is linked to their Snapchat account details.
So, when you use another device to log in using the same details, the latest login (your login) will be permitted while the former login (the account owner’s login) will be disconnected.
If the user is using Snapchat when you log in, they will receive multiple device notifications and get disconnected. If they are not using Snapchat at the time of your login, they will receive an email on their registered email address stating that they are logged into another device.
Now, there are a few exceptions:
1. If you log in from a country that is different from that of the Snapchat account owner, your login attempt may not be permitted. Instead, the Snapchat account owner will receive an email stating that a login attempt on their account was blocked, and they will be advised to change their Snapchat password.
This is because Snapchat uses a security feature called Unusual Sign-in. It is a feature that takes note of normal user behavior like the devices and locations they usually sign in from. So, if a simultaneous sign-in occurs from a different geographical location, it will trigger a notification of possible account compromise
2. If the owner of the Snapchat account was logged out of their account at the time you signed in, they will not be notified of your sign-in. This is because, as Snapchat allows signing to one device at a time, your sign-in was the only registered session at the time and so there is a breach of use policy.
If, on the other hand, you do not have the person’s login credentials:
- If you try several passwords, they will be alerted of the odd sign-in attempt
- If you use the Forgot Password feature, you will be asked to enter their email address to have a password reset link sent.
Can You Log Into Someone’s Snapchat Without Them Knowing?
Yes, you can log into someone’s Snapchat without them knowing. But it is not enough to just know their login details. If you log into Snapchat with another device while the person is still logged into Snapchat, they will be alerted of the new login.
Also, if you log in from a different country or region, you may have to complete some form of veritification, and they will be alerted of the login attempt even if they were not logged in at the time.
To log into their Snapchat without them knowing, you would have to be creative about it. You would need to make sure that your login does not trigger a security notification to the owner of the account.
If you do not know their Snapchat password, it makes things even harder because of the security checks needed to get a new password to access the account.
We will provide some of the best ways of logging into someone’s Snapchat without them knowing later in this article.
Does Snapchat Send an Email When You Login Into Someone’s Account?
Yes, Snapchat will send an email notification to the person if you log into their account while they are still logged in…even if they are not using Snapchat at the time. This is as long as the person has their email address registered and verified on Snapchat. If not, they will be sent an SMS notifying them of the login.
They may not be notified of the new login:
- If you know their password, and you are within the same region as they are, and they are logged out of their Snapchat account.
These 3 conditions must be met for you to log in without their getting an email notification. So:
- Even if you are within the same region but they are still logged into their account, they will receive email notification of your login
- If they are not logged in but you log in from a different region, they will receive notification of your login attempt
Other than these, you may use any of the means listed in the next section to log into someone’s Snapchat without their knowing.
How To Log Into Someone’s Snapchat Without Them Knowing
1. If You Have Access to Their Email, Reset Their Password
If you know their Snapchat password:
If you have access to the person’s email address and you know their password, you could reset their password and quickly delete the password reset notification email. This is because when you reset the password, the person will receive an email stating that their password has been changed.
So you need to quickly access the email and delete the notification. That way, you can log in as many times as you want to their Snapchat without their knowledge…well, until they try to log in and get a password error.
To reset the password:
1. Log into their account and tap on their profile icon
2. Tap on Settings (the gear icon at the top right)
3. Scroll down and select Password
4. You will be prompted to enter the current password first. Enter the password
5. Then set a new password
6. After setting this up successfully, they will receive an email stating that their password has been changed and that they have 48 hours to change the password before it becomes permanent.
7. Delete this email
Now you can successfully log into their account as often as you want without their knowledge because your device will become registered as a legitimate sign in device for the user.
If you do not know their Snapchat password:
1. If, however, you do not know their Snapchat password but only have access to their email account, you could use the Forgot Password option after entering their username
2. When you click on Forgot password, you will be provided with the option to reset using Phone or Email.
3. Select Email since you have access to their email account.
4. Open the link sent to the email and set a new password. Then log into their Snapchat account successfully.
5. They will also receive another email stating that their password was changed. Delete both emails.
When next they launch Snapchat, they will be prompted to enter their login details again. At this point, they can reset their password again and get you locked out.
2. Request a Password Reset Text Code and Check For the Code When It Comes Up on Their Lock Screen
If, on the other hand, you have access to their phone and not their email, you can request a password reset through your phone. To do this:
1. Click on Forgot Password at the login page
2. Select Reset Using Phone
3. Enter their phone number when prompted to receive the code
4. Look in their phone and enter the code received on their phone to complete the password reset for their account
5. By so doing, your phone also becomes registered as a legitimate sign in the device and will not prompt unusual sign-in notifications next time you log in.
6. You can then access their Snapchat account until the next time they try to log in and reset their password.
3. Use Their Phone When They Are Not Around
The other alternative you have is to use their phone when they are not around. This is a lot easier because you will not be prompted for login details when you launch their Snapchat. The details are already saved on the phone’s cache memory and on Snapchat servers.
Even if you see the login page, you will be logged in automatically when you click Login, without having to enter your password.
Just be sure not to perform any actions on their account that may alert them that you had logged into their account…unless you don’t mind their finding out.
4. If It’s Your Partner, Ask For Their Phone to Look At Something Then Check
If the person is your partner or someone you have access to, you could simply ask them for their phone to look at something or try something, and then quickly open their Snapchat to check what you want.
If you do not want to be found out, after exiting Snapchat, swipe it away from recent apps so they don’t see that the app had just been opened.
5. Look Over Their Shoulder When They Are Typing In Their Password
This option is a bit hard to accomplish because one does not have to type in their password every time they launch Snapchat. This is only required when the person had previously logged out.
But breaching someone’s account is not meant to be easy anyway. So, if there’s no other way for you to obtain the person’s credentials, you simply have to wait and hope for a time when they need to enter their password and you’re close by to having a peep.
Accessing someone’s Snapchat account without their knowing is not an easy task. There are so many conditions that need to be in place for you to achieve this successfully.
You should also note that it is not legal or ethical to do so, and could land you in trouble if you are found out. However, if you must do this, following the guide in this article should be enough to get you what you want.