Snapchat is always adding new features or updating current ones to make people want to use it more. That is funny in a way since Snapchat has over a billion downloads. People seem to take pictures of every single thing that happens throughout their day as well. Geofilters is one of these features that Snapchat has included in the app.
Geofilters are animated overlays that you are able to add on top of your images. They are only available in certain areas, which makes the name geofilter make sense. Businesses can create their own geofilter so that when you visit you can take a selfie and add their logo or business name to your snap.
Whole cities have geofilters too that you can use when you are in those cities. Some geofilters are made for events that only last a day or a few hours even. That means you have to be at a certain place at a certain time to get to use these geofilters.
How to Use Geofilters on Snapchat
When you are trying to use geofilters, it is a fairly simple task. You do need to have your location services turned on to use these though. So, make sure you have them turned on before you get into Snapchat.
On Android Devices
1. Open the Settings on your device
2. Choose Apps and then choose Snapchat
3. Now, choose Permissions and toggle the Location switch to the On position
On iOS Devices
1. Open your Settings on your device
2. Scroll down until you see Snapchat and tap it
3. Now, choose Location and then change this setting to “While Using the App”
Note- when you activate your location services, you are possibly announcing to other Snapchat users where you are when you use the app, and that inlcudes the possibility of showing up on Snap Maps.
Accessing the Geofilters
1. Open your Snapchat app and take a photo or video like you normally do
2. Enter the Edit mode for that video or photo
3. Now, swipe right to access the geofilters
4. Choose the geofilter that you want to use- sometimes you can add more than one geofilter at a time by selecting and holding down the filter to add it to the photo or video
The geofilters that you have available to you will change depending on where you are at the time you use them. The bigger the city you are in, the more choices you will most likely have. In a smaller city you may have a very limited amount of geofilters, if any at all.
Creating Your Own Geofilter
You can create your own geofilter inside the app or on the website if you are wanting to promote something or just don’t like what there is out there for your city. This is not free though and does come with a minimum $5.99 charge to put it up on the app.
1. Open Snapchat the same as always
2. Tap on the Ghost icon in the top left corner
3. Now, choose the cog settings icon in the top right corner
4. Choose, On-Demand Geofilters
5. If this is your first time using it, you should follow the wizard, if it isn’t, then you can tap the phone icon in the top right corner
6. Now, choose the event or occasion
7. Choose a template now and edit it with the tools to meet your wants and needs
8. When you are done making your geofilter tap the green check mark
9. This will take you to a page where you need to fill in some info about your geofilter
- Name your filter and change Filter type if need be
- Add your start and end date and time
- Set the location and range for your geofilter-the default is 20,000 feet
- Hit Continue when you are satisfied with the location
- Hit OKAY when it appears to Submit for Review
- Now, you have to wait for it to be approved which could take an hour or a few days
- Once it is approved, you will have to pay for it