This guide shows you how to update iTunes on a Windows PC and Mac. You might need to update iTunes if you’ve just updated the iOS on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod, or other Apple device.
Updating your iTunes can fix bugs on your PC and give you new features. This is a good reason to make sure your iTunes is updated to the latest version as soon as possible.
This process is very simple and this article should provide you with everything you need to know when updating iTunes.
How to Update iTunes on a Windows PC
To do this, you need to:
1. Open iTunes by double-clicking the iTunes icon from the desktop
2. If it’s not on your desktop, find it in your Start menu
Once you’ve opened iTunes, it should come up saying “A new version of iTunes is available. Would you like to download it now?”
Sometimes it won’t automatically check for new versions upon opening iTunes so if you don’t get this message and you want to manually check if you have an update, you can do this by:
1. Left clicking on the help button
2. Then, left click ‘check for updates’
This will force iTunes to check for updates and you’ll see that it says a new version of iTunes is available.
3. The next thing you need to do is move your mouse over ‘Download iTunes’ and left click once. You’ll notice on your screen in the taskbar at the bottom, a blue icon appearing.
4. Left click on that and that should bring up the Apple software update. On your screen, it might have already come up automatically.
5. Once you receive the Apple software update pop-up, then left click Install 1 item. It then says ‘Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC?
6. Click Yes
iTunes will start to download. This might take a few minutes depending on your internet connection. After it finishes downloading, it’s going to start installing.
Installing iTunes is also going to take quite some time. While the new version is installing, iTunes will shut down automatically in the background. Do not touch your computer or try to download anything else because this can slow down the installation process.
If it looks like it’s stopped and the green bar isn’t moving, just leave it for a while because iTunes can take a very long time to install and there are times during the installation where it looks like it’s doing nothing, so just bear with it.
If half an hour has passed by and the installation hasn’t completed, then it’s time to panic. It shouldn’t take anywhere near as long as half an hour but this just depends on your PC.
A few minutes into the installation, the iTunes icon will disappear off the desktop. This is because it’s removing the old version of iTunes and it’s going to be installing the latest version of iTunes. To your Windows PC.
After a while, the iTunes icon will return to the desktop. Once it’s installed, it will say “Your software has been successfully installed”, click ok
Once you click ok, it’s going to start running a check for new software. It’s just going to check other Apple software that might be installed on your device and if there are any updates available for that.
Again, this might take a little while. After it’s finished running the check, click quit and you should now have the new iTunes
How to Update iTunes on a Mac OS
I’m now going to show you how to update iTunes on Mac OS and I want to show you how to manually do it so you can get the best and greatest up-to-date versions of iTunes for your device.
You’re going to start by:
1. Going to the Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen and left clicking on it
2. Left click on the App Store third option down. In the new window that appears, you should receive a message that says “Updates are available for your computer”
3. On the right of that message, click on the More button right next to the update button. This will break it down by the updates that are available for your computer. You’re going to be interested in the one that says iTunes with the version of the update.
If you don’t see the new version here, that means your iTunes version is already up to date. You can also see a breakdown of any new features that might have been released.
4. If you do see the new iTunes version, left click on the Update button on the right side and it’s going to begin installing the new update
It’s going to calculate how large the update will be. Typically, new updates can be upwards of 125 to 150 megabytes from what I’ve seen, so just be patient.
Once the new version of iTunes has finished installing, you will see a rundown of updates installed in the past 30 days.