With the advent of smartphones, the world entered an era where mobile phones were used for much more than making calls and sending text messages. Nowadays, you can use your phone, most especially an iPhone, to write notes, play games, listen to music, surf the web, and yes, even send text messages, thanks to iMessage, without having a SIM card.
Maybe you have children who you want to pass along your old iPhone to, but don’t yet wish to provide them with a phone plan. Or maybe you need to switch your phone carrier since you’re traveling abroad, or simply because you discovered cheaper options than your current plan. Whatever the case, the question arises, how can you unlock your iPhone without a SIM card? Contrary to popular belief, this is not only possible, but also very easy. There are a few ways you can carry out the process.
However, before you get started you should backup your device. This will not only protect your data if something goes wrong, but will also allow you to restore your data if you wish, since some of the methods below involve erasing your device. Follow one of the methods below to get started and unlock your iPhone without a SIM card.
Unlock Your iPhone Using Someone Else’s SIM Card
As the headline implies, this method is only possible if you’ve access to a someone else’s SIM card. If so, this method is probably the fastest way to unlick your iPhone. However, keep in mind that if your iPhone is locked to a certain carrier, the SIM card you borrow from someone else must also be from that same carrier. To get started, follow the instructions below,
1. Using a thin but dull pin, remove the SIM card that you’re borrowing from the other phone. Insert this SIM card into your iPhone.
2. Ensure that you’ve access to the internet and log in to your Wi-FI network.
3. You’ll be prompted to setup your device. Follow the instructions and setup your device accordingly.
4. Once the iPhone has activated, you may return the SIM card to its rightful owner.
You can now freely use your iPhone when connected to Wi-Fi. You won’t be able to make phone calls or send text messages, however, if you’re messaging someone with an Apple device, you can use iMessage to send them messages. In order to do this, you use the Messages application and send a message just as you normally would send a text message. Your iPhone will recognize that the message is being sent to another Apple device, and the message will be sent as an iMessage.
Use iTunes to Unlock Your Phone Without a SIM Card
Before you carry out this method, make sure that you’ve backed up your iPhone because you’ll be deleting all of its content and settings. However, not to worry, as you’ll then use iTunes to restore your phone back to its previous state. Once you’ve backed up your iPhone, follow the instructions below,
1. Open the Settings application on your iPhone. It has a grey background with an icon of a gear on it.
2. Tap on General.
3. Tap on Reset.
4. Tap on Erase All Content and Settings. You may be prompted to enter your passcode. Do so accordingly. Please note that erasing your iPhone may be a time-consuming process.
5. After the process has completed, you’ll be prompted to setup your device again. Complete the setup process accordingly.
6. Launch iTunes on your computer. Connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable.
7. iTunes will automatically detect that you’ve connected your iPhone to your computer. Click on the Restore Backup in iTunes option.
8. Choose the backup you would like to restore then click Restore.
9. Again, this process may be time consuming depending on the size of your backup. It may even take a few hours. Be sure not to disconnect your iPhone until the process has completed, and ensure that your laptop has enough battery to last at least a few hours. If not, it’s best to put your laptop on charge.
Once the process has completed, your iPhone will be unlocked. However, please note that this process can be tedious, and if you don’t need to use your iPhone right away, it’s best to stick to method A of this tutorial.
Use an Online Tool to Unlock Your iPhone
There’s an online tool called iMyFone LockWiper, which you can use to rest your iPhone and unlock it without use of a SIM card. The great thing about iMyFone LockWiper is that it’s compatible with all iOS versions and devices. To get started using this tool to unlock your iPhone, follow the instructions below,
1. Download and launch LockWiper.
2. Click on Start to begin unlocking your iPhone.
3. Connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable.
4. Click on Next to load your device information.
5. Choose the appropriate firmware for your device and click Download.
6. After the firmware has downloaded, click Start to Extract.
7. After you see the Extraction Completed page, click Start Unlock.
8. iMyFone LockWiper will ask you to confirm if you would like to unlock your device, notifying you that this will delete all of its data.
9. Enter 000000 in the text field and click Unlock.
After the process completes, which may take some time, your iPhone will be unlocked. However, please note that this means, as stated above, that your device will lose all of its data and then restore to factory settings. You may restore your device using iTunes if you recently backed it up.
Most people use this online tool when they forgot their iPhone’s passcode and need to unlock it. Whatever the case, always be sure to back up your device often so if your device needs to be restored, you won’t lose access to all of your private data and information.