An Upside down exclamation mark (¡) is a punctuation mark of the Spanish language used to begin interrogative and exclamatory sentences. Exclamation marks are on most US keyboards but the upside down exclamation mark isn’t. Since you can’t type the upside down exclamation mark using your keyboard, you can use different codes or the character map on your Windows or Mac PC.
If you’re on Microsoft programs such as Word, PowerPoint or Excel, you can type the upside down exclamation mark using an Alt + X code. This can be used if you have a keyboard that doesn’t have a number keyboard and you’re on a Microsoft program like. To type the upside down exclamation mark, press 00A1 + Alt + X.
If your keyboard has a number keyboard, then you can type the upside down exclamation mark using an Alt code – this consists of you pressing a few numbers whilst holding the Alt key. The numerical keyboard is on the right-hand side of your keyboard – most desktop keyboards have a numerical keyboard. If you’re using a laptop, you’ll only see the numbers in the top row of your keyboard and not on the right. To type the upside down exclamation mark, type 168 whilst holding Alt.
If you have a laptop or keyboard without a numeric keypad, then you’ll need to use keyboard 7, 8, 0, U, I, O, J, K, L, and M. These keys are alternatives to 0-9 when Num Lock is activated. M=0, J=1, K=2, L=3, U=4, I=5, O=6, 7=7, 8=8, 9=9. If you haven’t got a numeric keypad:
1. Hold Fn + NumLk to enable Num Lock.
2. Hold the Alt key and type 168. Remember which number corresponds to regular keypads without a numeric keypad. So 1=J, 6=O, 8=8.
3. Let go of all the keys and you should see an upside down exclamation mark in your text.
Windows Character Map
If you’re confused by the Alt code, then you can just use the Map installed on your computer.
1. Open the Start menu and open the Character Map.
2. In Search for, search for inverted exclamation mark.
4. Select the inverted exclamation mark.
3. Select Copy to copy the symbol and then you can paste it within your text.
1. Go to the Finder > Emoji & Symbols.
2. In the search bar, search for inverted exclamation mark.
3. Right-click the upside down exclamation mark and select Copy Character Info. This will add it to the keyboard.
4. Paste the upside down exclamation mark within your text.