If you’re a mathematician or accountant, there are times where you’ll need to type the less than or equal to sign (≤) to show something is less than or equal to another thing. Unfortunately, US keyboards don’t have the less than or equal to sign.
If you want to type the less than or equal to sign, you need to use different codes or the character map on your Windows or Mac PC.
If you’re on Microsoft programs such as Word, Excel, or PowerPoint, you can type the less than or equal to sign using an Alt + X code. This can be used if you have a keyboard that doesn’t have a number keyboard and you’re on a Microsoft program like Word. To type the less than or equal to sign, press 2264 + Alt + X.
If your keyboard has a number keyboard, then you can type the less than or equal to sign using an Alt code – this consists of you pressing a few numbers whilst holding the Alt key. The numerical keyboard is on the right-hand side of your keyboard – most desktop keyboards have a numerical keyboard. If you’re using a laptop, you’ll only see the numbers in the top row of your keyboard and not on the right. To type the less than or equal to sign on your keyboard, type 243 whilst holding Alt.
If you have a laptop or keyboard without a numeric keypad, then you’ll need to use keyboard 7, 8, 0, U, I, O, J, K, L, and M. These keys are alternatives to 0-9 when Num Lock is activated. M=0, J=1, K=2, L=3, U=4, I=5, O=6, 7=7, 8=8, 9=9. If you haven’t got a numeric keypad:
1. Hold Fn + NumLk to enable Num Lock.
2. Hold the Alt key and type 242. Remember which number corresponds to regular keypads without a numeric keypad. So 2=K, 4=U, 3=L.
3. Let go of all the keys and you should see the less than or equal to sign in your text.
Windows Character Map
If you’re confused by the Alt code, then you can just use the Map installed on your computer.
1. Open the Start menu and open the Character Map.
2. In Search for, less than or equal to and double-click on it to make it appear in Characters to copy.
3. Select Copy to copy the symbol and then you can paste it within your text.
1. Go to the Finder > Emoji & Symbols.
2. In the Search bar, search for less than or equal to.
3. Right-click the less than or equal to sign and select Copy Character Info. This will add it to the keyboard.
4. Paste the less than or equal to sign within your text.