While iTunes revolutionized the music streaming industry and provided iPhone users with an easy way to transfer data from their phone to their laptop, it can get quite tedious to constantly update the information on iTunes, especially if you use your iPhone often.
In order to sync your device using iTunes you also need to have a USB cable around, and this isn’t always convenient. However, since iPhone’s and Mac’s are cut from the same cloth, so to speak, there are easier ways to transfer your files from your iPhone to your Mac, without using iTunes or a USB cable. To get started transferring files to your Mac from your iPhone, follow one of the methods below,
AirDrop Files from iPhone to Mac
AirDrop was initially released in 2011, to enable the transfer of files amongst iOS devices, and it still, to this day, stands as one of the most effective and easiest way to transfer files. AirDop works like Bluetooth, and is able to transfer files without any sort of network connection. However, the two devices involved in the transfer must be in close proximity to one another. In order to start using AirDrop to transfer files from your iPhone to your Mac, follow the instructions below,
1. Enable AirDrop on your Mac by opening Finder.
2. On the top menu bar, click on Go.
3. Click on AirDrop. Though you don’t need a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connection, also enable these two buttons.
4. Now enable AirDrop on your iPhone by opening the Control Center. To do this either swipe up from the bottom of your screen, or swipe down from the top right if you own a newer iPhone model.
5. Long press on the Wi-Fi icon. This will cause the AirDrop icon to appear. Enable Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and AirDrop. For AirDrop, you’ve the option to be seen by Contacts Only or Everyone.
6. Open the file you would like to share with your Mac and tap on the Share icon. The icon is shaped like a rectangle with an arrow pointing upwards.
7. You should see your Mac as an available option to send the file via AirDrop. Click on this option in order for the transfer to start.
8. Now on your Mac, a window will pop up asking if you would like to accept the transfer. Click Accept.
Using this process you can send videos, photos, and other content from your iPhone to your Mac. AirDrop can be used between many Apple devices, and not necessarily just between an iPhone and a Mac.
Use iCloud to Transfer Files from iPhone to Mac
Once again, iCloud is here to save the day. If you’ve used iTunes before, you likely have used iCloud to backup and restore the data on your iPhone, which is in all honesty, a lifesaver. iCloud can also be used to copy files from your iPhone to your Mac. This has become especially easy since the release of iOS 11. In order to get started using iCloud to transfer files from your iPhone to your Mac, follow the instructions below,
1. If you’re Mac has the latest software update installed, skip to step #5.
2. Launch the App Store.
3. Click on the Updates tab towards the top right of the window.
4. Install the latest version of macOS if one is available. This may take some time.
5. Login into iCloud using the same Apple ID on both your iPhone and your Mac.
6. On your iPhone, open the Settings application. It has a grey background with an icon of a gear on it.
7. Tap on [Your Apple ID].
8. Tap on iCloud.
9. Ensure that iCloud Drive is enabled. The toggle button should be green.
10. On your Mac, click on the Apple logo in the upper left corner, and then click on System Preferences.
11. Click on iCloud.
12. Ensure that iCloud Drive is enabled. There should be a check next to the label.
13. Now all you need to do is save your desired files on the Files application present on the iPhone, and then you’ll be able to access all these files via iCloud.
14. In order to access the files on your Mac, open Finder, and then click on the iCloud Drive tab on the left pane of the window.
In order to use iCloud for photos and videos that are stored in iCloud Photo Library, turn on Upload to My Photo Stream on your iPhone and Download and Keep Originals on your Mac.