When it comes to any platform with messaging or any form of contact is involved, sometimes you run into a person or two you want to mute, but not necessarily block. WhatsApp isn’t any different in that department.
You have two choices to make. Do you want to mute the person for a while or outright block them forever? Each has its uses and ones you should be aware of. Not only that, but you’ll also learn how to spot when someone has muted you when you have become “that guy.”
The Differences Between Muting and Blocking
There are key differences that make muting and blocking two separate tools. Muting is, essentially, playing the Silent Game, giving someone the cold shoulder or pretending they aren’t there. Blocking is outright silencing them from ever contacting you again. You may not want to associate with that person, unlike someone who’s muted for reasons that are less severe. Perhaps you still want to speak with them, just not right in that moment.
How to Know If Someone Muted You on WhatsApp
WhatsApp handles the delivery of messages with several status icons, three to be specific. You have a single grey checkmark, two grey checkmarks and, lastly, two blue checkmarks. Each one represents the status of a message you send.
Here’s a breakdown of what each status icon means:
- Single grey checkmark: The message was sent, but not delivered. Imagine telling a mailman, “Hey, give that person over there this letter.” You have now sent the letter. However, if you see the mailman just standing there, refusing to move towards the other person and it nevers makes it there, your message was not delivered.
- Two grey checkmarks: Your message was sent and also delivered. The mailman you gave the letter to has made it to the person’s house.
- Two blue checkmarks: Your message was sent, delivered and then read by the other person.
The above status icons change depending on whether or not you’re just muted or outright blocked by the other person. For example, if you send them a message and the icon appears as a single grey checkmark, then you are most likely blocked or you’re having network connection issues.
If you are only muted when a message is sent, you’ll see two grey checkmarks with the possibility of it turning to two blue checkmarks if the other person just so happens to see the message. The other person won’t get a notification if you send them a message; you are muted. When you’re blocked, they’ll never have the option to view your message because it was never delivered in the first place, after all, you are blocked.
How the Viewing of Profiles Are Handled
The information you see on a person’s profile can be a big indicator on which list you fall under. For example, you can’t see anything on a person’s profile if you’re blocked; you can’t view their status, nor their profile picture and your messages always appear as a single checkmark. Those are clear signs you were blocked. However, when it comes to being muted, that information is still open to you.
How to Know If They Muted Your WhatsApp Status
If someone has muted you on WhatsApp, they simply won’t be shown in the list of users that the status was viewable to. Although they could’ve just missed it and not seen it, if they always see your status updates and they recently haven’t been seeing them, chances are they muted you. One thing you can do to test this out is to make sure the privacy settings are only set for them to view, then make a status up date that they specifically would reply to and if you don’t get a response, you’ve been muted. If you do, you haven’t.
Another thing that you can do if you can’t figure out if someone muted you on WhatsApp is to simply ask them. If you’re close to them, then asking them if they saw your story for example and if they say no, ask why. Or you can straight up ask them if they muted you.
How to Mute Someone on WhatsApp
1. Locate and launch WhatsApp.
2. Open the conversation with a person you want to mute.
3. In the top right corner of the screen, you’ll see three vertical dots. Select it. Doing so will open a drop down menu.
4. In the drop down menu, choose Mute notifications near the middle of the list. It will prompt a small window.
5. In the window, you’ll see you have three choices to choose from. You can mute someone for 8 hours or 1 week or an entire year. When you’ve chosen the length of time, tap OK.
If you select “Show notifications,” you can get a notification, but you won’t hear a sound.