Calendars are one of the most important facets of your life. Whether you’re busy or not, knowing when you have things to do is essential. While physical calendars that you hang up are great, you can’t take them with you.
One of the best parts about a mobile calendar is you can always have it with you, and it can even send you notifications. While there are apps that you can download to have a calendar, many times, you’ll find that your email platform has a calendar option. Outlook and Google are two popular email platforms with popular calendar options.
Syncing Outlook Calendar and Google Calendar
Google removed the sync ability that used to make combining your Outlook and Google calendars easy, but there is still a way to do so if you want to. It doesn’t work the same way. For example, with a sync, you can see all the same events on each of the calendars, which means it doesn’t matter which calendar you put it in. The method of syncing these two calendars since you can’t do them directly isn’t exactly that, but it’s a way to see them both at the same time.
Both Outlook and Google support the iCal format, and it allows for the exchanging of calendar information. All you need is the right link, and it’s super easy to find. You need to get the link from Outlook and you can only do it when it’s not on the mobile app.
1. Log into your Outlook Calendar with your Outlook credentials. It’ll take you right to your Outlook calendar.
2. Click on the Settings gear in the upper right corner of the screen and a menu will emerge from the right side of the screen.
3. On the settings menu at the bottom of the screen, click on “View all Outlook Settings” and you’ll be navigated to another menu.
4. On the new menu, select “Shared Calendars” on the left column.
5. Beneath the “Publish a Calendar” header, click on the “Select a Calendar” box and a drop down menu will appear.
6. On that menu, select the name of the calendar you want to sync with Google.
7. Then, select the permissions box underneath it and select “Can view all details” from the drop down menu.
8. Select the blue “Publish” button when you’re done. Links will appear.
9. Click the link labeled “ICS” and a menu will appear. On the menu, select “Copy Link.”
10. Now, go to Google Calendar and enter the credentials of the account you want to use to sync your Outlook calendar.
11. In the bottom of the left column of the calendar, select the “+” sign to the right of the “Other Calendars” label.
12. On the menu that appears, select “From URL.”
13. Paste the ICS link you copied from Outlook.
14. Select the blue “Add Calendar” button.
Now make sure that your Outlook Calendar shows up in your list of calendars.