Can You Stop Receiving Messages on WhatsApp Without Blocking?
Yes. You can stop receiving messages on Whatsapp without blocking someone by turning off your data or WIFI. This will stop messages from coming in, meaning that you won’t have to block them.
How to Stop Receiving Messages on Whatsapp Without Blocking?
There are multiple direct reasons for why someone would want to stop receiving messages on WhatsApp.
Some of those reasons could be you’re taking a hiatus from your friends and family for a while, you’re super busy and don’t have time to chat, or you simply don’t want to communicate with a specific person.
The reasons for blocking calls can go on forever. However, there are a few methods to consider if you want to stop receiving the messages without blocking anyone in your contact list. Let’s check out those methods now!
1. Turn Off WIFI or Data For WhatsApp Specifically In Settings
Your internet connection is the sole source of energy that keeps your devices functioning correctly as well as keeping a steady flow with your app on your devices.
The fantastic thing about your internet connection on your device is that you can manipulate the settings where certain apps can have Wi-Fi or Data connection when in use. It seems pretty cool, right?
Well, you can limit the Wi-Fi or Data connection for your WhatsApp to prevent notifications from coming in.
This option can be something to consider if you are looking for an alternative that will give you the immediate assurance that your notifications are disabled. This alternative a quick and straightforward to follow. Let’s check out how to turn off your Wi-Fi or Data for WhatsApp on your Android or iOS device.
To turn off the Wi-Fi for WhatsApp on your iOS device, you must:
1. First, open your settings menu. Once your settings are open, scroll down to the very bottom of the page until you see the WhatsApp application. When you see WhatsApp, tap on it to open its settings.
2. On the settings page for WhatsApp, locate the local network toggle and mobile data toggle.
The local network is for your Wi-Fi connection, and the mobile data is for the data connection for your cellular device. Switch both of the toggles off to turn off your data and Wi-Fi connection.
3. If that does not work the first time around, go back to your settings menu and click on General. From General, tap on iPhone storage.
4. After tapping on storage, a screen will appear showing the applications that are installed on your device. Locate the WhatsApp application and select the offload app button.
To turn off your Wi-Fi and data for Android, you must:
1. Navigate to your phone settings under General Settings on your Android device. After general settings are open, tap on apps.
2. Next, open your list of applications on your device. Finally, select the WhatsApp application and click on force stop. This automatically closes the application without blocking any messages or deleting the app.
2. Mute Messages
Muting your messages from your WhatsApp on your device it’s a very handy alternative as well.
To mute your messages on WhatsApp, you must do the following:
1. With your WhatsApp application open, go to your chats list.
2. From there, navigate over to the group of chats and click on the menu.
3. From there, tap on mute notifications. When you mute the notifications for your WhatsApp, you have the option to select the length of time you wish to have the notifications muted for.
4. So, select the length of time you want the notifications to remain on mute. Finally, click on mute notifications.
5. If you have group chats that you want to put on mute, open the chat, Click on the menu option, then tap on mute notifications. From there, you can choose the time frame you want the notifications to remain on mute. Lastly, click on mute notifications.
You can follow these steps for both Android and iOS devices.
When you mute your contact or messages on WhatsApp, you will not be notified of any messages or notifications from those contacts. The messages may still appear in the chat thread.
This will be convenient for you to reach back out to that contact when you have a chance. Although the notification of the message will still be in the thread, you will not receive an audible notification from that contact.
3. Delete Their Number
One way to pause your notifications on WhatsApp without blocking your contact is simply by deleting the number.
Not saying that you would have to delete the contact from your phone, but deleting the contact from the WhatsApp application.
1. To delete a contact on WhatsApp, first, you must open the WhatsApp application and go to your chat thread.
2. Tap on the new chat tab.
3. From here, you can then select or search for the person you want to delete from your contact.
4. When the contact appears, select their name located on the top of the screen.
5. For the final steps, select more options, then tap on view and address book, have more options again, and finally tap on delete to delete the contact.
If we still need assistance with deleting a contact from your WhatsApp, you can reach out to the WhatsApp help center for further inquiry.
4. Turn Off Notifications For the App
You can also consider turning off your WhatsApp notifications or device. This is something that can be done on an Android or iPhone iOS device.
The very first way is to open the WhatsApp application and navigate to your settings. From there, tap on that notifications and then tap on none in the notifications menu for your messages. This is how you can switch off the notifications for WhatsApp through the app settings.
To turn off the notifications through your Android device settings, first, open your Settings app and scroll down to apps and notifications.
1. From there, locate the WhatsApp application in your apps menu. You may have to tap “See All” in order for all of your applications to come up on the screen if applicable.
2. Once you have located the WhatsApp application, tap on it to open its properties. Tap on the notifications section and toggle off all notifications for WhatsApp.
1. For iOS consumers, open your iPhone settings and select notifications.
2. On that screen, locate the WhatsApp application and tap on it to open it.
3. You will see a notification button that allows your notifications to be turned off or on.
This toggle is operable for incoming messages from your WhatsApp application. You will turn the toggle off to stop all notifications.
5. Force Stop the App
You can also force stop or force close the WhatsApp application on your personal device to stop all messages without blocking your contacts. This is quick and easy as it was turning off your notifications for WhatsApp.
To force close or force stop the app, you would have to perform this action through your phone settings.
For all of my Android users, to force stop on the app, you must follow these steps:
1. Open your Settings app on your device.
2. From here, scroll down until you see apps and notifications.
3. Next, open the apps and notifications section.
4. On the next screen, please scroll down until you see the WhatsApp application. If you don’t see WhatsApp, you may have to tap on “See All” in order for all of your applications to appear on your screen.
5. Once you have located the WhatsApp application, tap on it to open its properties. Once the properties are visible, you will see a few buttons available.
6. One of the buttons that you would be looking for is the force close or force stop option.
7. If you see this button available, tap on it to force close the app. Doing this will prevent all messages incoming from your WhatsApp since the app is not running in the background.
For all of my iOS / iPhone users, to force close or force quit the WhatsApp application, you must follow these steps:
1. You can force close the application using your home button by quickly double clicking your home button to open all of your apps.
2. Next, swipe right or to the left to locate WhatsApp since this is the application you want to close.
3. Finally, after locating WhatsApp, drag the app up to the force quit section at the top of your screen.
After forcing close or Force quitting WhatsApp, this should prevent all incoming messages and notifications from WhatsApp since the app will no longer be running in the background on your device. This will save you a lot of time without having to block your contacts in your list.
6. Put on Your Status That No One Should Message You
The next alternative is a quick method for you to notify all of your contacts as well as users who may come across you on WhatsApp.
That method is to change your status. Your status on WhatsApp is a public notification available for all of your contacts to see. And you can make your status as creative as you wish.
While you are being creative with your status, you may want to notify your contacts that no one should message you until you are available to receive and respond to messages. This will cut down a lot of time and explanation.
And since your status will be available for all of your WhatsApp contacts, if you get a message anyway from one of your contacts, that may be an intentional act.
Meaning they saw the status and didn’t bother to adhere to the message. So, if that happens to you, you may want to consider that person for the block list in the future.
Moreover, to change your status on WhatsApp, you can follow these steps:
1. Open your WhatsApp and navigate to the status section.
2. From here, tap on the status section to start composing a written update. You are free to use emojis, and GIFs, change your fonts or change your background.
3. And you can even take a photo for your status section as well. So, have fun with creating a new status. After the status has been created, tap on the send button to post the status update.
Creating a status is a way to kill multiple birds with one stone. You’re basically sending a mass message to all of your contacts to notify them not to send you any messages until you are available to receive and respond to them.
7. Put Your Phone in Battery Saver
When you put your phone and battery saver mode, doing this puts a silence on all notifications for all of your applications on your device. As you can see, there are many ways that battery save mode can be useful.
If you are an iOS / iPhone consumer, to switch your device to battery saver mode, you must:
1. Open your settings and navigate to your control center.
2. Please tap on the customized controls section and then select the low power mode option and add it to your control center.
3. Once the low power mode is activated, your device will last for a long period of time before it is time to charge the device.
For Android consumers, to switch your device to battery saver mode, you must:
1. Pull down the notifications menu by dragging your finger from the top of your screen and sliding your finger downward.
2. From here, you will see a battery icon in the menu of buttons in your notifications menu.
3. Tap on it to toggle the battery saver mode on.
4. Once you do this, your screen will immediately start to dim, and you will get a notification stating that your battery saver mode is active and is on.
Once the battery saver is on, all notifications for all of your applications, including WhatsApp, will be silenced.
As it was stated earlier, there are many ways that battery saver can be useful. And in cases such as this one, where you want to stop messages without blocking your contacts, it is a nifty little trick that can come in handy.
8. Delete the App
The last and final option to stop your notifications without blocking your contacts is to delete the app from your device simply. This will be considered a latter option in case you have an issue following through with the previous alternatives listed in this article.
To delete the app on your Android, you can proceed with the following steps:
If you are using an Android device, most likely, that device will have to Google Play Store.
1. To uninstall the WhatsApp application, you will open the Google Play Store and locate the WhatsApp application under your installed applications.
2. Next to WhatsApp, you will see the option to uninstall it. Tap the Uninstall button and allow the application to clear successfully from your device.
1. To uninstall the application from your device settings, you will go to your settings on your Android device and locate your apps section; once the apps section is open, scroll down until you see WhatsApp.
2. Tap on the WhatsApp application in your settings. Once the settings for WhatsApp are open, you will see the option to uninstall. You will tap uninstall from there.
If you are using an iOS/iPhone device and want to uninstall the app without going to the App Store, you will press and hold the WhatsApp application until it starts to wiggle. From there, options will appear, and one of those options would be to uninstall the app. You will tap uninstall.
Once the application is uninstalled, you will no longer be able to receive notifications from WhatsApp.
Having WhatsApp as a secondary form of messaging is an incredible resource to use. But what if you are not available to answer any messages from your contacts, and you want to stop the notifications without blocking them?
Well, you have many alternatives to turn to if you are looking to stop your notifications from coming in. And with these alternatives, you wouldn’t have to worry about your phone buzzing off the hinges and causing a headache.
You have the option to turn off your Wi-Fi or data connection or WhatsApp, mute your messages, delete their number from the app, turn off notifications for the app, and force stop the application to stop the app from running.
Other alternatives consist of putting your phone in battery saver mode, creating a status on your WhatsApp for everyone to know not to message you, or simply deleting WhatsApp from your device.
Whatever alternative you decide to proceed with, these are effective methods to utilize without blocking any of your contacts.
Following through with this information is quick, fast, and easy to flow with. Trust me, using these methods are great ways to avoid long conversations explaining to your contacts why they were blocked.