Although iTunes provides many benefits, it can sometimes, put simply, be annoying. If you’re reading this, you likely know that whenever you connect your iOS device to your computer via USB cable, iTunes automatically begin syncing with your device. While this may, at times be helpful, it can sometimes also be troublesome. Luckily, there’s a way to prevent iTunes from automatically syncing with your IOS device. This is very easy to carry out and only requires a few moments of your time.
Using the method below, you can prevent iTunes from automatically syncing with your device, without having to delete iTunes off your system. You may be wondering why you should keep iTunes around if you don’t intend on using it to sync your device. However, the fact of the matter is, iTunes is extremely helpful in providing you with a local backup of your device.
Furthermore, you may need iTunes to authorize your device on your PC. If your phone ever stops working, you may need to restore it using iTunes. As you can see, iTunes though sometimes annoying, is a useful tool. In order to get started, and learn how to stop your iOS device from automatically syncing with iTunes, follow the instructions below.
Stop a Specific Device from Syncing with iTunes
If you only want to stop one specific device from syncing with iTunes, you’ll have to connect that device to your computer using a USB cable. This is very easy to carry out, and only requires a few moments of your time. Once you have your USB cable ready, follow the instructions below in order to stop your specific device from syncing with iTunes.
1. Connect your iOS device to your computer using the USB cable.
2. Launch iTunes, if it doesn’t launch automatically.
3. Using the iTunes toolbar, click on your device.
4. Navigate to the Options section on the Summary page.
5. There will be a checkbox option labeled Automatically sync when this [Your device] is connected. Disable this option. There should be no check in the checkbox when the option is disabled.
6. Click on Done.
That’s all it takes. Now when you plug in your iOS device into your computer, iTunes will no longer automatically sync the device. However, if you wish to manually sync your device, you can easily do so.
Stop All Devices from Syncing with iTunes
If you use more than one iOS device, you can stop iTunes from automatically syncing with all of your devices. This is very easy to carry out and only requires a few moments of your time. The best part about this method is that you do not need to use a USB cable. In order to get started and stop iTunes from syncing with all of your devices, follow the instructions below.
1. Launch iTunes.
2. Using the menu bar on the top left of your screen, click on iTunes.
3. From the drop-down menu that appears, click on Preferences.
4. From the Preferences window, click on the Devices tab.
5. Towards the bottom of the window, there will be a checkbox option labeled Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically. Enable this option by clicking on the checkbox. A small check should appear in the checkbox when the option is enabled.
6. Click on OK.
It’s as simple as that. All you had to do was adjust a few settings. You didn’t even need to use a USB cable to connect to your devices to your computer. It can’t get any easier than that. Now when you connect to any iOS device to your computer, iTunes will not automatically begin syncing your device. As stated above, you can always choose to manually sync your IOS devices.
Many people connect their iOS device to their computer in order to charge their device. It can be quite annoying when you want to charge your device, but iTunes keeps on trying to sync with the device. Luckily, you no longer have to worry about that. Please note you can change this setting anytime you want, by following the instructions above and disabling the checkbox.