If you take photos or videos regularly, then you probably share them on Facebook for your followers to see. Once uploaded to your profile, your followers can like, comment, or share your post via DMs or to their story.
On Facebook, you can send direct messages to your friends or people you follow on Facebook. If you don’t post a lot, then you probably use Facebook to message your friends a lot. Your message history is saved so that you can go back to the DM section and go through all the messages you’ve had with someone.
If you have a lot of messages on Facebook, chances are that you want to find a particular message, for example, a conversation thread with someone, a conversation contacting a specific keyword or phrase. This allows you to filter your messages so that you can find particular messages that you’ve had with someone.
Can You Search Words In Facebook Messages?
Unfortunately, Facebook doesn’t allow you to search keywords and phrases within messages. If you want to find a message contact a particular phrase, you have to open the conversation that you think contains this message and look for it here. The search feature only allows you to search for accounts that you’ve had messages with and accounts that you want to message.
Using the Ctrl + F
Theres no way to search for words within specific chats. However, if you have a bit of time, you can go onto the Facebook.com website and load up the specific chat that you want to look for words in. From there, you need zoom out using your browser, and start scrolling up as quickly as possible so that you can load up the chat quicker to where you want to search for messages from.
From there, press Ctrl + F to load the search function, Now that you have your own search function from where you’ve loaded up the Facebook chat to, search for the word or phrase that you’re looking for, and inspect element should find it within the specific chat. If for some reason the word you entered in the search bar doesn’t come up and highlight where it’s been found in the messages, it’s simply because that word or phrase doesn’t exist within where you’ve loaded the chat to.
Download Your Entire Message Data
If you’re willing to download your data and use the Ctrl + F function there without only being restricted to where you’ve scrolled up to in a conversation, you can use the Download Data tool Facebook provides and download your messages. From there, you can search for words or phrases that have been said through the entirety of that conversation, even if its years back.
The Data Download tool allows you to download any type of data thats within your Facebook account. It can let you download pictures, search history, save history, as well as messages. And because it’s all in text format, it means that you can easily search for words that you’re looking for within messages.
1. Select the profile icon.
2. Go to Settings > Your Facebook Information > Download a copy of your information > Deselect All > then, tick the box in the Messages section > Create File in the top right corner.
3. Once you receive the email with a link to download your data.
4. Once the zip file has been downloaded, click on the messeges.json file. This will open a log of all the words and phrases that have been said in all of the conversations you’ve had. It’ll look like a mess a first, but everything will make sense once you start to look for words or phrases within chats.
5. To look up a specific Facebook message, bring up the search function using Ctrl+F on Windows, Cmd+F on Mac, or the search option on your phone’s file manager.
6. From here, type in your keyword. If there’s a match, it should be highlighted yellow.
How to Search Facebook Messages
1. Open Facebook on your device and sign in.
2. Tap on Home to go to the home feed.
3. Tap on the messenger icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
4. Tap on the search bar at the top.
5. Search for the conversation you want to open. From here, you can open the conversation and send a message. You can also send a picture or video snap from here and they’ll only be able to view it one.
The search feature is useful is your messages keep disappearing or you receive too many messages and you can’t find a conversation from a particular person. You can use the search bar to find their name – you can also use it to search for a group that you’re in.