You can feel your spirit rising as you sit down to watch your favorite television show or movie, but then it soon turns sour when you realize your Vizio Smart TV is giving you problems. Now, you can’t miss the next episode, but you can’t watch it if you can’t view it. In other words, you need to reset your Vizio Smart TV or else you’re missing out.
To be fair, Vizio Smart TV’s are great for anyone looking for an amazing smart TV. You can’t go wrong with a Vizio Smart TV. However, smart TVs are doing a lot more than just displaying a picture for your movies and shows; it has software and additional functions that just aren’t present in a traditional TV. And you know what that means? It means bugs, errors and glitches are bound to happen at least once.
Here’s a few issues you might be familiar with:
- Your smart TV isn’t turning on.
- You’re seeing flashing colors.
- Lines are stretching across your screen.
- You’re having trouble with the display.
- Constant powering on and powering off randomly.
- Your smart functions aren’t, well, functioning smartly or not at all.
- Your smart TV is having trouble with your network connection.
- You can’t access your smart apps.
If any of the above problems are familiar, then many of them can be solved by resetting your Vizio Smart TV. But here’s the rub: there’s two kinds of resetting that you can utilize and each one has its own use.
Soft Resetting your Vizio Smart TV
When you make a call to any kind of technical support, you may have noticed there’s a fix that’s universal to electronic devices: turning the device off. Why is that such a universal trait? Well, because many devices dump their memory, their cache, when the device is shut off. That memory can be corrupted and because a Vizio Smart TV utilities software, then there’s work for corruption.
Corruption sounds bad but generally speaking, corruption is easy to fix. Usually it’s a software error, like the software spat out a “0” rather than a “1.” But those kinds of errors build up and eventually cause problems. You should reset your Vizio Smart TV first before you move onto hard resetting.
Here’s what you do:
1. Turn off your Vizio Smart TV and unplug the power cable.
2. Now find the Power button. Press and hold the Power button for a few seconds. Doing so will discharge any leftover power.
3. Plug your power cable back into the power outlet and turn your Vizio Smart TV back on.
This method can solve a large portion of problems you may experience without the cost of formatting your Vizio Smart TV. Unfortunately, if any of the problems are still making a bed in your smart TV, then you’ll have to say goodbye to your settings and go for a hard reset.
Resetting a Vizio Smart TV
You’ll have to reconfigure your Vizio Smart TV after you start to hard reset your device. The firmware will also be reset. It’ll be as if you just brought the Vizio Smart TV home for the first day, hopefully. So, set some time aside and get to work.
Here’s what you do:
1. On your Vizio remote, find the Menu button and press it.
2. In the menu, make your way to System and select it.
3. In System, you should see an option labeled Reset & Admin. Go ahead and select it.
4. In Reset & Admin, choose Reset TV to Factory Defaults.
5. Punch in the parental lock code. If you never set one, it should be 0 – 0 – 0 – 0.
6. When you’re ready, choose Reset. Your TV will go through the process of resetting to factory settings.
Once your Vizio Smart TV has finished its hard reset, you’ll have to go through the trouble of reconfiguring it. If it fails to fix anything, reset your remote first before you decide to get in touch with Vizio’s technical support.
Resetting a Vizio Remote
If you’re resetting your Vizio Smart TV, then it’s worth resetting your Vizio remote as well. You might as well to make sure that any and all performance issues are checked off your list.
Resetting with Power Cycling
1. The first thing you need to do is take off the backplate on your Vizio remote and remove the remote’s batteries. You may find the plate at the end of the remote, too. It depends on your model.
2. Now, locate the Power button on your remote. Press it and hold your finger on it. Any kind of power that was once there will discharge. Don’t worry, you aren’t hurting the remote. You can press the Power button a few times, too, but holding it works best.
- While you’re at it, press all the buttons, too. This will loosen up any buttons that are stuck and since your batteries are removed, you won’t activate anything.
3. You could put the batteries back into your remote, provided they’re recent or brand new. Replace them if they’re old.
Resetting a Vizio Remote’s Memory
Before you reset your Vizio remote’s memory, you should be aware that it will need to be reprogrammed to work with other devices that it had control over.
1. On your remote, locate the SET button or the SETUP button. Press and hold the button that pertains to your Vizio model.
2. When you see the LED light on your Vizio remote blink twice, you can finally let the button go.
3. On your remote, punch in these numbers: 9 – 8 – 1. And if that code doesn’t work, then use this code: 9 – 7 – 7.
- If neither of those codes work for you, check the manual of your Vizio remote. You’ll find the reset code that works for your remote in your manual.
4. Give your remote some time to reset and when the LED blinks twice again, the reset was a success.