There used to be a time when know-how with Microsoft Word was a minimum requirement for a desk job. Proficiency in Microsoft office still remains the minimum requirement, but in addition to that, now you need to have an understanding of Google Sheets as well. The amount of productivity Microsoft Excel offers is incredible, but Google Sheets’ productivity is truly mind-boggling as well.
The option of integrating add-ons and scripts give Google Sheets an edge over the Microsoft. As a beginner, you may need to learn a lot of functions regarding the Google Sheets, but let’s start with a comparatively easy function. This article will explain how to remove duplicates from the Google Sheets.
What are Duplicates & why you need to remove them?
Duplicates (or duplicate entries, or duplicate rows) are instances of the same record appearing in your data more than once. Their existence can prove to be a huge bane for any person responsible for that data. For example, a data analyst would likely lose his job if the analysis is done on the data having duplicates in it. All the calculations will go wrong and the end result will not only harm the business but the company’ reputation as well. All the duplicates must be removed prior to any analytics and thankfully, removing the duplicates from a Google Sheet isn’t an uphill task.
Methods to Remove Duplicates from Google Sheets:
There are at least 3-4 easy methods through which you can remove the duplicates from your Google Sheets. All of them are quite easy to understand, but it is entirely up to you to choose one and stick with it. You can also use different methods for different times as it will help you learn the tool better, but at the same time, it could be confusing. Have a look at the methods.
Using Duplicates Tool:
The easiest way to go about the business is to use Duplicate Tools. This feature is a great addition to an already amazing tool. The beginners can use this tool to their advantage. Here is what you need to do
1. Open the Google Sheets and select the sheet you need to remove duplicates from.
2. Now select the column and rows which you think contain the duplicates. You can even select all the column and rows.
3. Once selected, click on the option Data followed by the option Remove Duplicates.
4. Now hit the option Remove Duplicates, again.
5. You will now see a pop-up giving you the summary of duplicates that have been removed.
Using the UNIQUE Formula:
Those who use Google Sheets often now what the UNIQUE formula is about. Those who are new to Sheets need to learn this amazing trick. The formula considers all the columns of your data range when determining the duplicates. It compares all the selected data and then removes the rows that are duplicates. It is a very easy way of identifying and deleting the duplicates. Here is what you need to:
1. Open the Google Sheets and select the sheet you need to remove duplicates from. 2. Now key in the formula and select the range which you think contains the duplicates. For example, your formula should be like =UNIQUE (A2: B5). Press the Enter key.
3. This formula will pick out all the unique results and displays them in the selected cell. You can then delete the duplicates and only keep the unique ones.
If you are not good with the formulas then you may have to take assistance from the add-ons. Add-ons are similar to browser extensions that unlock extra additional features for you inside of Google apps, like Docs, Sheets, and Slides. The only problem is that finding a free add-on isn’t easy. However, what you can do is to get an add-on with a free 30 days trial. Use it to remove the duplicates, but keep on practising the UNIQUE formula to master it until the trial version expires. Here is what you need to do.
1. Open the Google Sheets.
2. Click on the option Add-ons followed by clicking the option Get Add-ons.
3. Now type in Remove Duplicates in the search bar and then find an add-on that you think is right.
4. Just follow the onscreen instructions to install the add-on.
5. Once the add-on is installed, open the sheet from which you want to remove the duplicates. Click on the option Add-ons and then choose the one you have just installed. Again, just follow the onscreen instructions and let the add-on do all the hard work for you. Just wait for the process to finish and once it is finished, the duplicates would have been disappeared from the sheet. Pretty easy, wasn’t it?
There are a few other methods that can help remove the duplicates. This article has just focused on picking the easier options. Once you learn these tricks, then you will be able to grow more into this wonderful feature, and everything will come with time.