Social media platforms can attract predators, and TikTok isn’t a special case. You’ll find a large number of adults using it, but you’ll also find children using it. TikTok is pretty harmless with the way it runs things; nothing more than a platform for silliness. Unfortunately, it’s never that simple.
To combat this problem, you can make your TikTok account private. You’ll have full control over who can see what.
How To Make Your TikTok Account Private
If you want to make your TikTok account private, you can make that happen by altering your privacy settings in your account settings. Here’s how:
1. First, launch TikTok on your mobile device. It’s app icon resembles a musical note.
2. Now, in the bottom-right corner of the screen you’ll see a ‘head and shoulders’ icon, to the right of the speech bubble. That’s Profile. Go ahead and select it.
3. On your profile page, you’ll see three vertical dots in the top-right corner. That’s Privacy and Settings. Go ahead and tap on them.
4. Privacy and Settings is split into several different subsections. You want ‘Account,’ and under Account choose Privacy and Safety.
5. Go down to Private Account. See the slider to the right? Tap on the slider to set your account as a private account. It will turn green, indicating it’s been enabled.
6. You can further hide your account from others by disabling ‘Allow Others to Find Me.’ What that does is remove you from being a suggestion, even if your number is in someone’s contacts and your account is linked to TikTok. Your account will be more nonexistent than ghosts.
From here on out, only users you approve of can actually see your TikTok profile. This gives you the power over your profile, not the other way around. You may also find comfort in the fact that you can control who gets to download videos, message, or even who’s allowed to duet.
7. Under ‘Private Account’ there’s a list of additional settings to choose from. By selecting on, you can decide who gets to perform that particular function. For example, if you pick ‘Who Can Download My Video,’ you can decide if everyone can download them, friends, or turn it off completely (no one can download).
It’s advantageous that you consider making your TikTok account private, even if it’s a platform you’ve found popularity on. After all, it’s a social media platform and when young individuals flock to it, they can become targets for online predators. You’ve got to protect yourself. And if you’re a parent who’s allowing your kids to use it, by all means take advantage of privacy settings; that’s what they’re there for!