Telling when you are blocked on Hangouts is not as straightforward as with other applications that remove your conversations and make you stop seeing the person’s profile or online status.
How to Know If Someone Blocked You on Hangouts
You won’t be able to call someone that’s blocked you on Hangouts. When someone blocks you on Hangouts, you cannot call them directly on Hangouts. Also, you will not be able to join Hangout Video calls that they are in until they unblock you.
As a matter of fact, when someone blocks you on Hangouts, you can still see when they are online; you just can’t message them or call them anymore.
This means that you will still be able to see the person’s profile and your previous conversations with the person. You can also see when they are online, and you can see their profile picture if they have one.
If you share any common groups with the person, you will still be able to see the person in the groups. However, there are exceptions which we will discuss later under the section, When You Block Someone on Hangouts, What Do They See.
Also, when they block you, even though you can’t message them anymore, you can still join Google Meet calls that they organize or Google Meet calls that they join through the Hangouts app. This is because, when a user is blocked on Hangouts, they are not automatically blocked on Google Meet.
How to Tell If Someone Deleted their Hangouts
This section addresses how to tell when someone deletes their Hangouts account and not merely deletes the Hangouts app from their phone.
First, you need to know that one cannot just delete their Hangouts account. This is because Hangouts is integrated with your Google account. You do not create a Hangouts account separately. In fact, you can even find your Hangouts messages in Gmail. That’s how integrated they are.
So, to delete Hangouts account, one would have to delete their Google account entirely.
There are a few ways to tell when someone deletes their entire Google account, and their Hangouts by extension.
When you check their profile on Hangouts:
- If they had a profile picture on their Google account, this picture will no longer be visible. It will be replaced by a profile silhouette
- Also, their Google name may change to Unknown Person.
- Their last Active time will keep increasing from days to weeks and years
However, note that all your previous conversations with the person will remain visible to you. You would simply be unable to send them messages or call them.
As we stated earlier, you cannot delete just your Hangouts account; you would have to delete your entire Google account. To delete your Google account, you may follow the steps below:
On A Browser:
1. Go to accounts.google.com
2. Sign into your Google account if you are not already signed in
3. Click on the Data & Privacy tab
4. Scroll all the way down to the More Options section
5. Select Delete Your Google Account
6. Enter your Password in the next page that opens
7. You will be provided the option to Download Your Data before deleting your Google account. You may click on that to download your Google data including data on Drive, Gmail, Photos, Contacts, Calendar, and so on.
8. Otherwise, scroll down to agree to the terms of deletion and then click on Delete Account
However, you do not need to delete your entire Google account if you are trying to avoid someone or stop unsolicited communications. You could simply turn off Google Hangouts Alerts. To do this:
1. Go to hangouts.google.com
2. Click the Menu bar at the top left of the screen (3 horizontal lines)
3. Select Settings from the menu options
4. Select Customize Invite Settings
5. Uncheck Get Notified About Invitations
6. Select Customized
7. Under People With Your Phone Number, select Can Send You An Invitation
8. Under Everyone Else, select Can Send You An Invitation
Or, you can just delete your Hangouts app so you don’t receive Hangouts notifications anymore.
When You Block Someone on Hangouts, What Do They See
When you block someone on Hangouts, there is barely any visible change on the other person’s end.
- They will still be able to see when you are online but cannot send you messages or call you on voice or video
- They will still be able to see your profile and your picture
- They will also still be able to see their previous conversation with you. However, on your end, your conversations with them will be archived but not deleted. The conversations will be restored when you unblock them.
- If you share common groups with the person, they will still be able to see you in those groups and they are not removed from the group conversations
- You will get a notification that the person you blocked is also in the Hangout group. If you open the conversation, you will see the person’s messages in the conversation
- You are not notified when the person you blocked sends new messages in the Hangout, but they are notified when you send new messages in the Hangout.
- The person that you blocked can join other groups that you are in even after you have blocked them on your personal Hangout.
- If the person you blocked tries to join a video call that you’re in, they will be notified that someone in the video Hangout has blocked them and they can’t join. But they will not be told who specifically blocked them.
- When you block someone in Hangouts, they can join Google Meet calls that you are in, even if you are the one who organized the call. Blocking someone on Hangout does not block them on Google Meet
To block someone on Google Hangouts, please follow the steps below.
On Hangouts mobile app:
1. Launch the Hangouts app
2. Open the conversation with the person you want to block
3. Tap on More options (3 vertical dots at the top right of the screen)
4. Tap on People
5. Then tap on the person and select Block from the options
6. Select Block again to confirm blocking the person
1. Log in at hangouts.google.com
2. Select the conversation with the person you want to block
3. Select Settings from the window that opens (it is the gear icon)
4. Select Block and Report
5. From the window that opens, check the Also Report box if you want to report the person. Otherwise, leave the box unchecked
6. Then select Confirm
Can You Call Someone Who Blocked You on Hangouts
When someone blocks you on Hangouts, you cannot call them directly on Hangouts. Also, you will not be able to join Hangout Video calls that they are in until they unblock you.
However, you can join Google Meet calls that they are in. This is because Hangouts settings do not reflect on Google Meet.
You will not be able to call the person directly on video unless they unblock you.
To unblock someone on Hangouts:
1. Launch Hangouts app
2. Click on the Menu button at the top left of the screen (3 horizontal lines)
3. Select Settings from the options
4. Tap on your Google Account at the top of the screen
5. Select Blocked Contacts from the new window that opens
6. Tap on Unblock next to the name of the person you want to unblock on Hangouts
After unblocking the person, your conversations with them will not appear automatically on the Chats window. You would have to tap the New (+) chat icon and then search for their name and select it from the results. Your conversations with the person will be restored.
Hangouts Vs Google Chat
As we stated at the beginning of this article, Google has replaced Hangouts with Google Chat or GChat. If you create a new Google account and try to use the Hangouts app, you will be redirected to use Google Chat on Gmail or download the GChat app.
The experience of when you block someone on Google Chat is different from that of Hangouts. When you block someone on Google Chat:
- They are unable to send you new messages, and they are also unable to see your online status. You will always appear offline to them.
- But if you use a Google Workspace account and the person you blocked is in your organization, they can still tell when you’re online.
- Even though the person you blocked does not get notification that you blocked them, they can tell that they can’t send you messages. To send a message, you need to unblock them.
- Their messages are hidden from you in spaces and group messages. You can unhide messages you want to view.
- In your personal chats with the person, all the messages they sent to you will be changed to “Blocked Message. Tap to View.”
You would then have to tap on the message to view it.
- You and the person you blocked can’t edit any old messages to one another.
- The person is also blocked in certain other Google services
- Links or attachments the person sent before you blocked them are still active.
- If you report someone for abuse, a copy of the last 50 messages of your conversation is sent to Google for review.
- Blocking someone on Google Chat does not prevent them from sending you email messages
To block someone on Google Chat app:
1. Open the conversation with the person you want to block
2. Tap on their name at the top of the screen
3. Select Block from the options
4. From the pop up, choose whether you also want to report the person by ticking the box next to Also Report
5. If not, just select Block to confirm blocking the person.
If you are using PC:
1. Sign in at chat.google.com
2. Select the user you want to block
3. Click on the dropdown arrow next to their name at the top of the screen
4. Select Block and Report from the options
5. Tick the Report to Google box if you also want to report them
6. Otherwise, just select Block to block the person
You can also block them in Gmail using the steps below:
1. Sign into your Gmail
2. At the bottom left of the page under Chats, select person you want to block
3. Click on the Gear/Settings icon on the chat window that pops up, and select Block & Report
4. Confirm your selection to block the person
To unblock someone on Google Chat app:
1. Open the Chat app or Gmail app
2. At the bottom, tap Chat
3. Tap Search in chat.
4. Enter the name of the blocked person or their email address.
5. Select the person from the suggestions.
6. Tap Unblock.
To unblock on PC:
1. Sign in to your Google Chat
2. In Chat, at the top, click Settings (gear icon at the top right of the screen)
3. Select Manage Account that Your Have Blocked under Blocked People
4. A new tab will open
5. Select X next to the person you want to unblock to unblock them
To unblock using Gmail:
1. Click Settings (gear icon)
2. Select See All Settings
3. Select Chat and Meet
4. Select Manage Chat Settings
5. Select Manage Accounts You Have Blocked
6. Click on X next to the name of the person you want to unblock to unblock them
If You Block Someone on Kik Will They Know
Blocking someone on Kik is somewhat similar to blocking on Hangouts.
When you block someone on Kik, they will not know that you blocked them. This is because Kik does not send the person any messages that you blocked them. Nor does it remove your conversations with the person on their end.
There will be no banners or hidden indicators showing that you blocked them. There will be no alerts or push notifications.
They will still be able to see your conversations and send you messages. The difference is that their messages will never be delivered to you.
They will also still be able to see your profile picture and any changes you make to your profile picture.
- The only way a user can know that you blocked them is by starting a Group chat. When they start the group chat and try to add you, they will not be able to do so if you have blocked them.
What Happens When You Block Someone on Kik
We have provided a comprehensive list of what happens when you block someone on Kik below:
- When you block someone on Kik, you will no longer receive messages from them. They will be able to send messages to you but the messages will not get delivered to you
- Messages from bots that they try to add to a chat with you will not be delivered to you either
- The person you have blocked will not see any notification that you have blocked them.
- They will still be able to see your conversations with them, your profile info, and your profile picture. All changes that you make to your profile picture will still be visible to them
- In a group chat, the messages sent by the person you blocked, including their bot messages will display as Blocked Message. However, they will be able to see messages you send in the group chat.
- You will not receive bot mentions from the person in your chats
What Does Blocking Someone on Kik Do
Blocking someone on Kik simply prevents them from messaging you directly or using bots. It also prevents you from seeing their messages in a group chat.
Blocking will NOT do the following:
- Remove or delete your conversations on both ends. Messages from the person will only be hidden from you.
- Prevent the person from seeing your profile or your profile picture
- Prevent the person from seeing messages you send in group chats that you both are members of
How to Block Someone on Kik Without Them Knowing
The fact is that you can block someone on Kik without them knowing, by default. That’s how Kik works. The only way someone can guess that you have blocked them is this:
- You may already know that when you send a message on Kik, it changes from S (for Sent) to D (for Delivered) to R (for Read).
- If the person monitors your messages and notices that their messages to you have stopped going from D to R, then they can guess that the you have blocked them on Kik. They can be more certain of this if you change your profile photo and their messages still no longer change to R.
The only sure way for them to tell you that have blocked them is if they start a group chat and try to add you to the group. If they are unable to add you, then they know that you have blocked them.
Initially, starting a group and adding someone who blocked you to the group was a workaround to having access to them. But this feature has been removed on Kik. When you block someone, they are blocked indeed.
To block someone on Kik:
1. Open the conversation with the person you want to block
2. Tap on the person’s Display Name at the top of the chat beside the >
3. Tap the More icon (3 dots)
4. Tap Block the person’s name
5. Tap Block
1. Tap Settings
2. Select Privacy
3. Select Block List
4. Tap +
5. Select the person you want to block
6. Tap Block to confirm
If you change your mind about blocking someone and wish to unblock them, please follow the steps below to unblock a blocked user:
1. Launch the Kik app
2. On the Home screen, tap on Settings (the gear icon at the top right)
3. Select Privacy from the options
4. Select Block List from the privacy menu
5. Select the person you want to unblock and select Unblock
When you unblock someone on Kik, your previous conversations with the person will be restored. However, the messages the person sent you while they were blocked will not be delivered to you.