Why does your phone randomly ghost touch? There are numerous reasons this could happen, like a glitch within your device or an issue with the app. After reading this article, you will undoubtedly have fixed the problem. Keep reading and try all steps to achieve the ultimate result.
Why Does My Phone Randomly Ghost Touch?
1. Glitch Within Your Device
Fix – Restart your Phone
The first problem you could be experiencing is a glitch. You need to try restarting your device. If you are using iPhone, follow the steps below.
1. You will want to first press and hold the volume and side buttons until the power off screen pops up; slide over on the “Power off” choice. The device will then power off.
2. Then, after the device is fully powered off, press and hold the button on the right side of your iPhone, and wait a few seconds for the Apple logo to appear on the screen to turn the device back on.
Check to see if the problem persists by tapping different places on your screen and trying the app you are trying to use; if you still have the issue, please read the following paragraph, “Update your Device.”
If you are utilizing an Android, read below on how to restart an Android.
1. Press and hold the power button for five to ten seconds, and the power-off menu will pop up.
2. Select the “Restart” option to restart the Android.
3. The Android will then restart itself.
Once your Android has turned back on, check if the problem persists by pressing buttons on your screen and observing if it is still ghost-touching. If restarting your Android didn’t work and your device is still ghost-touching, see the next section, “Perform Factory Reset.”
Fix 2 – Update your Device
Updating your device is a thing you should do routinely to prevent future issues like glitches within your device or a slow device. The following action would be to update your device if restarting your device did not fix the problem. You can do this on an iPhone by pursuing the below steps.
1. First, go to your “Settings.“
2. Then, Tap on “General Settings”
3. In the “General Settings,” there are multiple options; you should see the second button that says “Software Update,” This will show any software updates available.
4. The last step will be to click “Update” to update your Apple device if the device has any updates available.
Furthermore, if your iPhone does not have an update available or that did not fix the ghost-touch problem, move on to the next section, “Perform a Factory Reset.”
On the other hand, if you have an Android device, observe the following steps.
1. Foremost, open the “Settings” app on your Android device.
2. Then, you will scroll down to almost the bottom of the screen and press the option “System.”
3. Lastly, look for the option that says “System Update.” Press the Update option.
Next, If updating your Android device does not solve the issue or it does not have an update available, move on to the following passage below, “Perform a Factory Reset.”
Fix 3 – Perform a Factory Reset
Alternatively, you can attempt a factory reset if updating your device did not toil. Unfortunately, conducting a factory reset erases all of your data. Yet, you may restore most of your phone’s data through your Google or Apple accounts. Read below to learn how to factory reset your Apple or Android device.
However, as it deletes your device’s data and information, you are urged to backup your device into the cloud. You do this for Apple on the iCloud.
For Android, Azure before factory resetting to ensure you maintain all of your information. Read below to learn how to factory reset an iPhone directly from the Settings on your Apple device.
1. The first step to factory reset is beginning in your “Settings” app on your device.
2. Next, find the option that says “General” and press that option to go to your “General Settings.”
3. The next step is to scroll down to the bottom of your screen and tap “Transfer or Reset iPhone.”
4. After that, you will see multiple options; scroll down and touch the “Reset” option.
5. The subsequent steps will likely ask you to confirm your decision to do a factory reset. Follow the onscreen steps on your Apple device to complete the process of performing a factory reset.
On the contrary, if you have an Android, it is relatively the same process. Look below for how to factory reset an Android in four quick steps.
1. The first action to do a factory reset is by beginning in your “Settings.”
2. The next step is to tap “Back-up & Reset.”
3. After that, touch “Factory Reset.”
4. The subsequent stages will likely confirm your decision to do a factory reset. Follow the onscreen steps on your Android device.
If these options did not help, refer to the next paragraph, “Contact Manufacturer,” for help on how and when to contact your manufacturer.
Fix 4 – Contact Manufacturer
Tragically, if not one of the above options worked, it may be a further issue that you cannot fix from home. In this case, if you have tried all of the above steps, your best option is to contact your manufacturer by visiting their website or contacting the manufacturer in another feasible option.
Apple has 24/7 technical support, email, and a support chat on their website. Android has a support website, email, and phone number for you to contact anytime.
Furthermore, there could be a more straightforward fix to the predicament, such as water on your screen. Adhere to the below instructions for more information on how to solve the water on your screen issue.
2. There’s Water on Your Screen
Fix – Remove Water and Clean Screen
Cleaning your screen is another thing that you should routinely do to prevent issues like ghost-touch. Of course, it may be an easy fix, such as merely cleaning your screen.
If for any reason, there is water or any additional obstruction on your screen, you must properly clean the screen.
The soundest method of cleaning your phone screen is utilizing a microfiber cloth. If your device’s screen is hopelessly grimy, you may moisten the microfiber fabric and only the material. Do not, and never put water directly on your screen.
1. First, you want to wipe away the water with a microfiber cloth gently.
2. Presume you notice other obstructions, like dirt, fingerprints, oil from your skin, etc.
You should dampen the microfiber cloth and gently clean your screen until all obstructions are gone. Be sure not to douse your device’s screen with water completely; this can cause further issues like water damage.
3. After getting the initial layer off and your phone is entirely dry, ensure you wipe the screen with a 70% alcohol wipe to disinfect and eliminate any germs lingering on the screen.
You must wait for the screen to fully dry before testing if the ghost-touch problem is still occurring.
If the resolution of merely cleaning your device’s screen does not work, proceed on to the next step, “Touchscreen Damaged,” below.
3. Touchscreen Damaged
Fix – Fix your Screen
If none of the overhead efforts you have tried have worked, your touchscreen may just be damaged.
1. First, try cleaning the screen; learn how by going to the “Remove Water and Clean screen” section above.
2. Second, try restarting the device; see section “Restart your Phone” above to learn how to do so. Restarting the device eradicates any other possible problems by using the previously mentioned steps.
Once you have experimented with cleaning and restarting the device, the only other alternative to fixing your touchscreen is to take the device to a certified repair center to replace your phone screen.
A quick Google search from any device can inform you of all the accredited repair retailers in your area. Try to call different retailers and mention the issues you are experiencing; they can point you in the right direction.
4. Screen Protector Issue
Fix – Remove Screen Protector
Probably the most manageable problem to fix is a screen protector issue.
1. First, remove your screen protector from your device. Removing your screen protector is simple; grab the corner of the screen protector and gently pull it away from the screen, and be careful not to break or shatter it.
2. After removing the protector, try to resume using your device and test your screen without the protector to detect if the case has been resolved.
If your device is still ghost-touching, carry on to the following section, “Replace Screen Protector.”
Fix 2 – Replace Screen Protector
If removing the screen protector does not work, a resort you can try replacing your screen protector. Occasionally, this may and will fix the problem but not always.
You can purchase screen protectors from most in-store or online retailers. Most department stores like Walmart, Target, or Best Buy will have a pack of two or three for roughly anywhere between $9-$12.
A good screen protector will alleviate most problems like ghost-touching or cracking of the screen. The best screen protector to purchase to prevent ghost-touching is a glass protector.
Glass protectors are much less likely to have the ghost-touching problem. If the problem persists after replacing the screen protector, move on to the next fix, “Issue with App.”
5. Issue with App
Fix – Force Quit the App Having the Issue
So the fixes above did not fix the issue. No worries, there are still a few alternatives to endeavor! There are a few things you can try if this is the issue.
First off, force quit the app. It very well could be the app you are currently trying to use. To accomplish force quitting on an iPhone, read the following steps.
1. First, swipe up from the bottom of the phone screen to see all your currently used or open apps.
2. Secondly, swipe right or left on your phone screen to find the app you want to force quit.
3. Lastly, swipe up your phone screen on the app you desire to force quit. It will slide up and disappear, meaning it is closed or has been forced quit.
For an Android device, it is a bit different;
1. You want first to open the “Settings” app and scroll the list until you find the “Apps,” “Applications,” or “Manage Apps” options.
2. Subsequently, scroll the list until you see the “Force Stop” option.
3. Finally, once you have found the “Force Stop” option, you can tap that to force quit the app that is causing the ghost-touch issue.
Force quitting is all it takes to fix the issue on most occasions. Sometimes, that is not the case. If the above steps did not fix the problem, do not worry; move on to the following paragraph, “Clear Cache and Data.”
Fix 2 – Clear Cache and Data
Another relatively simple fix would be to clear the cache and data of your device. To clear the cache and data on an iPhone is simply effortless. To clear your cache on an iPhone, follow the next steps below. Look below to the following paragraphs if you are an Android user.
1. First, open your Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Following, scroll the list until you see the “Safari” option.
3. In the Safari Settings, scroll down until you see the “Clear History and Website Data” option.
4. Next, tap the choice “Clear History and Data.”
Clearing the cache on an iPhone can be moderately important to do regularly. Over time, your iPhone will pick up random files from different websites that you visit. After following the above actions, you should have successfully cleared your iPhone’s cache.
The next step you will want to take is to clean out the App’s Data on your iPhone. Follow these steps to clean out the App’s Data on an iPhone.
1. Proceed into your iPhone’s “General Settings.”
2. Once in your “General Settings,” scroll down until you see “Storage and iCloud Usage.”
3. In your “Storage and iCloud Usage,” there should be a button directly at the top that says “Manage Storage,” you should tap “Manage Storage.”
4. Next, it will redirect you to a page that shows your apps that use the most storage from top to bottom, being most to least used. Tap the App you are trying to use.
5. Ultimately, if the App’s “Documents and Data” entry shows more than 500MB, you should uninstall and reinstall the App; it is more than likely causing troubles. Following these actions will clear out the App’s data.
In addition to that, clearing the cache and data on your Android device is just as simple as an iPhone. The “Clear Cache” and “Clear History” are in one spot, so it’s very suitable for your needs.
1. First, open your browser on your Android device by going to your “Menu.”
2. Then, go to your “Settings.”
3. Finally, go to the “Privacy” option.
4. From the Privacy menu, tap the “Clear Cache,” “Clear History,” or “Clear all cookie data” option. Ensure that you clear your cache, history, and cookie data for the best results.
If this fix doesn’t solve the issue, carry on to the next section, “Update the App Causing the Issue.”
Fix 3 – Update the App Causing the Issue
Updating your apps may be one of the easiest, most straightforward fixes. To update your app on an iPhone, follow the following actions.
1. First, begin in the App Store.
2. Then, tap your profile icon at the top right of your phone screen.
3. Next, scroll down until you see “Upcoming Automatic Updates.” Here is where you can see all the apps that need to be updated.
4. Lastly, tap “Update” on the app, causing the problem if there is an update.
Updating the app may resolve your ghost-touch problem on your iPhone; however, if it does not solve the ghost-touch or there is no update, move on to the next step of “Uninstall and Re-install the App” below.
If you are an Android user, you can quickly update an app on an Android device by following the steps below.
1. First, Open the “Google Play Store” app on your Android device.
2. Then, the “Google Play Store” has a profile icon at the top right of your Android phone screen; tap your profile icon.
3. Next, scroll until you see “Manage apps & Device.” Here, you know what apps need to be updated by being labeled as “Update Available.”
4. Finally, press the “Update” option on the app, causing the ghost-touch issues.
On the condition that updating your app did not fix the issue, you may have to uninstall and re-install the app. If that is the case, please visit “Uninstall and Re-install the App” below to learn how to uninstall and re-install the app causing the ghost-touch problem.
Fix 4 – Uninstall and Re-install the App
How do you Uninstall and Re-install your app on your iPhone? Keep reading and follow these six quick steps to get an answer to your question.
Remember, you can always re-install an app onto your phone with a single visit to the app store on both iPhone and Android.
1. Begin on the Home Screen of your iPhone.
2. Next, press and hold down on the app until the app itself starts to shake.
3. After the app starts to shake, press the gray dash (-) on the top left corner of the app that you are trying to delete.
4. It will then give you three options, “Delete App,” “Remove from Home Screen,” or “Cancel.” You want to tap the “Delete App” option to completely uninstall the app from your iPhone.
5. Press the “Delete” option to confirm your choice of uninstalling the app from your iPhone.
What about an Android device? An Android has fewer steps than an iPhone, which is pleasant for Android users that are reading this.
1. First, open the “Google Play Store” app on your Android device.
2. Then, tap your profile icon at the top right of your phone screen.
3. Next, scroll down and press the option “Manage apps & devices.”
4. Then, scroll until you see the hit the “Manage” option, tap that option.
5. Scroll down until you see the app causing the problem, and lastly, tap “Uninstall” to uninstall the app that is causing issues.
6. You’re Using A Low-Quality Power Adapter
Fix – Replace Power Adapter
If none of the options above worked, the problem could be that you are using a low-quality power adapter. Low-quality adapters can cause a lot more issues than you think. If this is the case, the fix to the problem would be to replace the power adapter.
All you have to do is purchase a new adapter (view on Amazon), which is really not that bad and decently cheap too. You can buy an iPhone adapter virtually anywhere online; they are pretty easy to find.
You can purchase from places like directly from the Apple website or in-store, Amazon, or in-store Walmart, for roughly $10-$15, which isn’t nearly as much as a replacement for your device.
For Android users, you can also purchase an Android adapter online or in-store; if they carry iPhone adapters, they most likely have Android adapters. Android and Samsung users can buy Android adapters for approximately $15.
Ensure you do your research and get the correct adapter for your device; always buy the name brand for your devices like Samsung or Apple. Do not buy cheap. They are never suitable for any device.
To sum up, why your screen is ghost-touching, it could be a number of any of the options as mentioned earlier. For example, like an issue with the app that you could force quit the app, clear the cache and data, or uninstall and re-install again.