Losing an iPhone or getting mugged of your iPhone isn’t a common occurrence but when it happens, it is bound to worry the user. Thanks to Find my iPhone feature that locating a lost iPhone isn’t impossible. One question regarding Find my iPhone’ functionality is that if it is capable of tracking an iPhone that is turned off or dead? The answer to that question is YES. You can easily locate your dead iPhone with this feature.
Tracking a dead or turned off iPhone is as simple as finding a fully functional or charged iPhone. Before entering into any details, if you suspect your iPhone has been stolen, instantly contact the local authorities instead of locating it by yourself. Also, to locate a dead iPhone it is imperative that you enable both Find my iPhone and Send Last Location. To enable both these features, you need to:
1. Launch the Settings on your iPhone.
2. Tap on your Apple ID.
3. Tap on the option iCloud.
4. Tap Find my iPhone and toggle it on.
5. Locate the option Send My Last Location and toggle it on too.
Once you are sure that these settings were enabled before the iPhone got lost, tracking it (even if it is dead) won’t be a big deal. Here are the next steps:
Via a Friends’ iPhone
Since your iPhone is lost, you will need an Apple device to locate your iPhone. You can borrow a friends’ or family members’ iPhone for that purpose. Once sorted, follow these steps.
1. Launch the Find my iPhone app on the device.
2. Sign out from the current Apple ID by tapping Sign Out located at the top-right of the screen.
3. Log in with your Apple ID.
4. Once you are signed in, you will see the list of Apple devices running on this specific Apple ID.
5. Choose the missing device from this list by tapping on it.
6. Upon tapping, a blue dot on a map will appear indicating where your missing device is at. You can zoom in by pinching the screen for a detailed location.
7. Hit the option Action located at the bottom of the screen.
8. Now hit the car icon to get the direction towards the location. The app will redirect you to the Map app for accurate directions.
9. The directions will take you to the place where your iPhone is at. It works regardless of the condition; dead or fully charged/functional.
Finding a missing iPhone via the Find my iPhone app is pretty straightforward and that’s why it should be your priority. However, if you do not have any Apple device to help you in this case, using a PC to locate the lost iPhone is your second option. Here is what you will need to do:
1. Launch the web browser on your PC and go to www.icloud.com
2. Provide your Apple ID credentials to log in.
3. Hit the option Find iPhone on the screen.
4. Select the option All Devices as they will provide you with a drop-down list of the devices running on this particular Apple ID.
5. Click the device that is missing.
6. Now you will see the map indicating where your missing device is.
Understanding Lost Mode
During this process, you will also see an option Lost Mode displayed on the map screen. What lost mode does is that it locks your device, display a custom message with a phone number to contact if found and turn on location tracking. Enabling this option will automatically enable the location services even if they were originally turned off.
The lost mode doesn’t apply to a dead iPhone but it automatically gets enabled as soon as the iPhone is turned on and connects to the internet. All in all, this feature may not help you directly locate the iPhone but it at least will help you in protecting your iPhone’s data.
What if Find my iPhone is Disabled?
Losing an iPhone inflicts panic but it is doubled when the user realizes that they haven’t turned on the Find my iPhone option from the Settings. If you have Google maps location history enabled then it can help tell you the last location of your lost iPhone. To use Google maps to your advantage, you need to follow the steps mentioned below.
1. Head over to www.maps.google.com/locationhistory.
2. Log in with your Google account that you use on iPhone as well.
3. Select the date and time when the iPhone got misplaced/stolen/lost.
4. You will get to know the last location where your iPhone was. It is worth going there and check it.
So, these are the two methods that can be really helpful in locating a dead or fully functional iPhone. The users should not give up on lost devices as these methods usually get the job done.