A lot of users prefer to store files in the ZIP format as it can help save some space on the PC or smartphone. ZIP files are compressed folders that, when uncompressed, are larger in size. You cannot really use the contents of a ZIP folder without extracting them first. Therefore, in this post, you will learn how to extract ZIP files on Windows, Mac, Android, and also on iOS.
The ZIP format is different to .RAR files, and do not require a specific software to be opened. You can unzip a zipped file without any software on a Windows or Mac computer. On an Android or iOS device, however, you will need to download an app to perform the extraction of files. Below, you will find methods to extract ZIP files on different platforms. Let’s dive right into it.
Extract zip files on Windows
Extracting Zip files on a Windows PC is quite simple. If you’re on the latest Windows 10 OS, you will not need to download any additional software to extract the contents of a ZIP file. Follow the steps below to extract zip files on Windows;
- Download the ZIP file to a folder on your computer.
- Head to the download location and find the downloaded ZIP file.
- You can now either right click on the file and select the Extract option, or you can open the ZIP file and see the contents first.
- If you open the ZIP file, you should see what’s inside, and on the top bar, there will be an ‘Extract’ button.
- Select the Extract option and a toolbar should appear.
- Click on the Extract all button.
- Now select the destination folder for the extracted files by hitting the Browse button.
- Select a destination folder and you’re good to go.
- You can also opt for the destination folder to open automatically once the extraction is complete.
- If you chose to right click and extract the zip file, then you can choose to extract to the same place where the zip file is, or extract to a new folder.
Either way, you have now successfully extracted the contents of a ZIP file on your Windows PC. Easy, wasn’t it? If the file is too big, then it could take awhile to extract. The speed depends on the hardware aspect of your computer.
Extract zip files on Mac
Opening and extracting zip files on Mac also doesn’t require any additional software or apps. Simply download the ZIP file, follow the steps below, and you should have all the contents of the file at your disposal.
- Download the ZIP file to your Mac.
- The file will most likely download to the ‘Downloads’ folder.
- Navigate to the Downloads folder and click on the downloaded ZIP file.
- The ZIP file will start extracting as soon as you double click on it to open it.
- The files will be extracted to the same folder.
- Depending on the size of the ZIP file, the extraction could either be done in a few seconds or could take some time.
That’s about it. The ZIP file has now been extracted and the contents will be available in the same folder. You can view them from here or move them to another folder so you can delete the ZIP file as it can take up unwanted space.
Extract zip files on iOS
To extract ZIP files on an iOS device such as iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, you will need to download additional software. There are plenty of unzip tools available on the App Store, but we shall take a look at one of the best apps out there. The app is called iZip, and it is available for free on the App Store. Download the iZip app from the App Store and follow these steps to extract zip files on your iOS device.
- Open iZip app.
- Navigate to where the ZIP file is downloaded. If it’s a ZIP file that’s stored on the iPhone, then you won’t be able to open it. Therefore, you will need to move it to a different place.
- Use the Share button and Copy the folder to iZip.
- You can also use the Open in option if you want to open a ZIP file that’s on Google Drive.
- Now the ZIP file will open in iZip.
- iZip will now ask if you want to extract all the files. Select OK to continue and soon you should have all the contents of the file. You can also tap on the Extract button if the app doesn’t automatically open the ZIP file.
There you go, the ZIP file has now been extracted on your iPhone. Again, not very difficult, but yes, you will need a tool to extract zip files on an iOS device.
Extract zip files on Android
Even on Android, you will have to download an app that can extract ZIP files for you. The best app to unzip ZIP files on an Android device, is WinZip. It is available for free on the Google Play Store. Download the app and let’s start unzipping.
- Download the ZIP file on to your Android device.
- Launch the WinZip app.
- Now, under device storage, navigate to the Downloads folder.
- The ZIP file will be stored in the Downloads folder.
- Select the checkbox next to the ZIP file.
- Click on the Unzip icon located at the top of the app.
- Select a destination folder for the files to be extracted.
- Now tap on the Extract Here button and the process should begin.
That’s it. The ZIP file will start extracting to the selected folder. Again, if it’s a small file, it won’t take long. If it’s a large file, then it should take a while to extract. Once it’s done, you can check the contents from the destination folder.
Extracting a ZIP file on an Android device is much easier than on iOS, and it’s also easy to access the files. We hope you have now learnt how to extract zip files on Windows, Mac, iOS and Android.