Social media platforms can attract some pretty nasty comments. It’s the side effect of being able to say just about anything you want; it is their right, after all. However, that doesn’t mean you have to sit through it. If you wanted to, you could limit who’s allowed to comment or outright disable comments on your TikTok account altogether.
Not only does this provide you with the power, it’s also a great option for parental controls. A large part of TikTok’s users are, indeed, adults but children use it too. Predators will take advantage of the ability to talk with younger minds.
How To Disable Comments On TikTok
If you want to disable comments on your TikTok account, you can disable the option within your account settings. This is how:
1. You start by launching the TikTok app if you haven’t already. It’s app icon resembles a musical note.
2. Next, visit your profile. Tap on the ‘head and shoulders’ icon in the bottom-right corner, just to the right of the speech bubble icon.
3. On your profile page, look in the top-right corner. There’s three vertical dots. That leads you to Privacy and Settings. Go ahead and select them.
4. Privacy and Settings is divided into different subsections. The subsection you want is ‘Safety,’ and under Safety is the option ‘Who Can Send Me Comments.’ Select it.
5. You can choose between Friends, Everyone, and Off. By selecting ‘Off,’ no one is allowed to send you comments. The other two are self-explanatory.
From here on out, no one is allowed to comment unless you say otherwise, based on what you set it as in your privacy settings. However, since TikTok provides the option to directly message people, you might want to consider changing that setting as well.
6. To change direct messages, select ‘Who can send me messages.’ By selecting ‘Off,’ no one will be allowed to directly message you, a must-have for any parent worried about predators. Or, at the very least, set it to ‘Friends.’
If privacy is a concern, you might want to reconsider how your profile can be found. By making it private, it removes your account from TikTok’s suggestion, even if someone has you as their contact and your phone number is linked to your account. With that said, barring someone the ability to leave a nasty comment is a bonus. Still, social media platforms can be toxic environments.