At some point using when you’re using Facebook Business Manager, it’s going to lead you to create Facebook pixels for the targeting of ads and tracking sales. However, at the same time, you don’t always have to use one and, eventually, you may need to delete a Facebook pixel.
Facebook pixels are good for collecting data, making sure the interaction with your site is moving in a positive manner and you may have created a few to pinpoint the best course of action. In that scenario, the Facebook pixels that don’t perform as well may get tossed to the side. Another reason you’ll want to delete a pixel.
With that being said, if you were hoping to find out how to delete a Facebook pixel, you won’t find it here and you’ll find the reason below, as well as an alternative to the solution. You have an option!
Can a Facebook Pixel Be Deleted?
Unfortunately, no, you do not have the option of deleting a Facebook pixel from Business Manager, however, there does exist a silver lining that is almost just as good.
With an active Facebook pixel, it’s continuously collecting data, whether you want it to or not. So, in theory, if you stop the collection of data, you effective “delete” the pixel without actually deleting it. And therein lies your solution, which Facebook does allow you to do. In other words, disable the collection of data the pixel is collecting and you’ve basically removed it. It isn’t the best solution, but it’s the only one you have.
It’s a strange change that Facebook should certainly reconsider. Prior to April of 2019, it seems the ability to delete a pixel was available, but has since removed the option to delete a pixel from the Facebook Business Manager interface. While the option to, at the very least, suppress the collection of data your pixel was made for, it doesn’t solve the problem entirely and still leaves the pixel around, at least on the Business Manager page. It’s safe to say that it leaves behind a very messy interface.
At any rate, let’s stop your pixel from collecting data.
Stopping a Pixel from Collecting Data
Stopping a pixel from collecting data is a rather simple process, and it goes like this:
1. Find and launch your preferred web browser, preferably over a safe network connection (this is your business you’re dealing with) and make your way over to your Facebook Business Manager. Log in with your Facebook credentials, if you aren’t already.
2. Now, on the left hand side where your column of options are, make your way down the menu to Data Sources and reveal additional options by clicking on the small arrow to the right of Data Sources.
3. Under Data Sources, choose Pixels, which is second from the top. You’ll see an extra panel appear to the right of your left hand panel, which is a list of your pixels.
4. Click on the pixel that you want to suppress the collection of data for. You’ll see the main bulk of your interface change to reveal more information in the center of your page.
5. In the center, click Ad Accounts. To the right of that is a list of Ads currently collecting data. To stop a particular ad, click on the “X” located at the very end of each different entity.
6. Repeat these steps until you’ve ceased the collection of data for every pixel that applies.
As you can see, the removal of pixels should certainly be reinstated. This method of ceases a pixel rather than outright deleting one only leads to an interface that is, admittedly, kind of messy.
Until Facebook decides to give that power again, you will be stuck using this solution until further notice. Whether or not you’ll ever have the option to outright delete a pixel is, unfortunately, up in the air.