There has been increasing demand by users to be able to fully explore the Oculus virtual reality line without having to create or link a Facebook account.
In this article, we have provided details of how to use Oculus or Oculus Quest 2 without a Facebook account, the challenges and limitations that come with that, and possible workaround to some of these limitations.
Can You Use Oculus Quest 2 Without Facebook Account?
If you access Facebook documentation on using Oculus Quest or Quest 2, you will see that you are officially required to create or link a Facebook account to use your device, install apps, and access the Oculus store as a new user.
If you are a new user and wish to go ahead to create a Facebook account to use Oculus, please follow the steps below:
1. Download the Oculus app to your mobile phone
2. Open the app and tap Sign Up at the bottom of the screen
3. You are required to enter the name you use in real life and then choose whether to display that name to others in the VR ecosystem
4. Then, you are prompted to create a unique VR profile independent of your Facebook Profile, allowing you to have a unique VR username that suits your personal choice. That is, your Facebook account may read Dan James while your VR profile reads BeatSaberKing2022.
5. You get to choose whether people can see your real Facebook name on Quest or Quest
6. You also customize several other privacy settings
Note: We have presented the steps and options above because many users enquire about using Oculus without Facebook because of privacy needs or because they want to have a unique identity on Oculus independent of their Facebook account details. You can achieve this to an extent using the steps above.
If, however, you would still like to know if you can use Oculus without a Facebook account, the answer is, that it depends.
You may have heard terms like Oculus Go, Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest, and Oculus Quest 2. These are all virtual reality product lines owned by Facebook. Oculus Go, Rift, and Quest all require a Facebook account before you could use them.
However, following user requests, Facebook promised changes in 2021 that will allow users to use Oculus without Facebook. But this only works for Oculus Quest 2.
You may already be aware that Facebook has discontinued Oculus Rift, Go, and Oculus Quest. Therefore, any new changes will only take effect on Oculus Quest 2 and later devices.
To be clear about the details, Facebook said that this feature is a work in progress, and will take full effect later in 2022. They also said that it will start with letting you log into Oculus Quest 2 with your work account, and then expand to other accounts for Oculus login.
For now, on the standard Oculus Quest 2 headset, you need your Facebook account especially to access any games purchased through the store.
But, this does not mean that there is no way to use Quest 2 without a Facebook account. For an additional $500, you can purchase the business version of Quest 2 which allows users to create an Oculus account with a Workplace account or other account other than Facebook.
Requirements for Using Oculus Quest and Quest 2 Without Facebook Account
To use Oculus Quest and Oculus Quest 2 with a Facebook account, you need one of the following:
- Oculus Quest 2 Business version
- A new Oculus account for existing users
- Oculus tool sideloaded
All 3 methods work but have very different prerequisites, processes, and implications. We have provided details for each to enable you to choose which works best for you.
How to Create Oculus Account Without Facebook
Oculus Quest 2 Business version
1. You need to purchase the business version of Oculus Quest 2
2. You need a Workplace or business email that is active
3. Make sure you purchase the business version of Oculus Quest or Quest 2 and then use the corresponding Oculus Business app for the setup.
4. You will receive a verification/welcome link on the email address registered to your purchase of Oculus Quest 2
5. Click on the link and go to the Workplace account opening page
6. Fill out the required details and create your Oculus account
7. Log into Device Manager using your registered Workplace or work email
8. Click on Device Fleet, then select Unconfigured Devices
9. Select Get Setup App
10. Next to your name, click Add recipient
11. If you are using Workplace and have other colleagues you want to send the download link to, click Add Recipient next to their names
12. You will receive an email containing the download link for the Setup app
13. Open this link on your Android phone and download the app
14. Charge your headset fully
15. Power the headset on by pressing the power button, then leave it plugged in. This will allow the headset to update, and it will also make sure the headset is powered on throughout the setup process
16. Then open the app, log in with your Workplace or business email details
17. You will be prompted to enter the WIFI SSID and password. Make sure your phone is connected to the same WIFI as the headset will be
18. Tap setup to initiate activation of the Oculus business headset.
Using Oculus Quest 2 on Normal Quest 2 Headset for Existing Users
Existing users are also looking for ways to use Oculus Quest 2 without their Facebook accounts. There are 2 options for this:
You can create a new account side by side with your existing Facebook-linked account
You can unlink your current Oculus account from Facebook
Create New Account
When you create a new account for use on Oculus, please note that all the purchases made to your existing account will stay on the existing account.
Go to developer.oculus.com/sign-up/ and sign up for a developer account. You may already have one if you have used SideQuest or tried to disable Oculus Guardian on your current account
Step 1 – Delete Headset from Oculus Account and Reset
Now, you can use one process to remove your Quest 2 headset from your Oculus account and also reset the headset. Please follow these steps to complete the process:
1. Go to oculus.com/my/devices
2. Select your Quest 2 headset from the list of devices
3. Select Delete Device Data
4. Select Continue
5. Complete the prompt to verify your identity on Facebook
6. Finish the remote wipe. This will reset your headset to factory settings and also remove it from your devices on your Oculus account.
If you are unable to complete the remote wipe, it means that your headset version does not support remote wipe.
In that case, you would need to select the device from your list of devices on the page above, and select Delete Device.
Then, perform a factory reset on the headset using the steps below:
To reset using headset:
1. Make sure your headset is fully charged
2. Turn off your headset.
3. Hold the power and volume down (-) button on your headset down simultaneously
4. Hold until the start-up screen loads on your headset
5. Use the volume buttons on your control to highlight Factory Reset and press the power button to select it
6. Use the volume button to highlight Yes, Erase and Factory Reset
7. Press the power button to select it
To reset using phone app:
1. Make sure your Quest 2 is fully charged
2. Open the Oculus app on your phone
3. Select Devices
4. Select your Oculus Quest 2 headset
5. Select Advanced Settings
6. Select Factory Reset
7. Confirm Reset
Step 2 – Clear the cache on your Oculus app
To clear the cache on Android:
1. Press and hold the Oculus app on your phone
2. Select App Info
3. Select Clear Data
4. Select Clear All Data
5. You will be prompted to clear all files, settings, account, and databases
6. Select Yes to clear
To clear on iOS:
1. Navigate to Settings on your device
2. Select General
3. Select iPhone Storage
4. Select Oculus
5. Select Offload app
6. Confirm the action
7. Select Reinstall app
Step 3 – Uninstall Oculus App
Proceed to completely uninstall the Oculus app from your phone using the steps below:
1. Press and hold the Oculus app on your phone
2. Select Uninstall or Remove (depending on your phone OS)
3. Confirm to Uninstall or Remove
Step 4 – Install an Older Version of Oculus
Go to this APK Mirror and download the provided older version of the Oculus app to an android phone. Note that iOS does not support installing apps from outside the App Store.
To be able to install the apk, please make the following changes on your Android phone:
1. Go to Settings on your phone
2. In the search bar, type Special Access and select Special Access or Special App Access from the search results
3. Select Install Unknown Apps
4. Select File Manager
5. Select Allow from This Source
6. Open File Manager App on your phone
7. Select Downloads
8. Find the Oculus app you just downloaded and click to install it
Step 5 – Set Up Headset
1. Power the headset on and leave it to charge for at least an hour.
2. Set up the WIFI and ensure that it is connected to the same WIFI as your Android phone
3. This will also allow the headset to download the latest updates
4. When prompted to pair a device, confirm to pair.
5. This is likely to fail as you are using an Oculus Quest app to pair a Quest 2 headset. But that’s okay. Keep trying until it pairs.
6. Strap on your headset, you will find that you are now logged into your Quest 2 with an Oculus account rather than a Facebook account
7. If prompted, turn on Developer mode.
Step 6 – Block internet access from Quest 2
You need to block internet access for Quest 2 so that Facebook does not detect the anomaly in your setup. However, please note that this will mean that your Quest 2 headset will no longer update because it does not have internet access. Also, you will not be able to use AirLink and Link Cable.
To block the internet, first, find out your local network subset using the steps below:
1. Click the Windows button on your PC
2. Enter Control Panel and select it from the results
3. Select View Network Status under Network and Internet
4. Select the name of your connected WIFI network
5. Select Details in the window that pops up
6. At IPv4 Address, the first three figures are your local subnet address. Example, in 192.168.100.12, 192.168.100 is your local subnet network address.
7. Strap on your headset
8. Select Settings
9. Select Network
10. Click on your WIFI and select Forget
11. Try to reconnect to the network, but click on the Advanced option this time
12. Under IP Settings, change DHCP to Static
13. Enter the subnet address you obtained then add .254. Example, 192.168.100.254
14. For default gateway, enter 192.168.100.116 or any last number except 192.168.100.1
15. Enter 0.0.0.0 as the DNS server
16. Then enter your network password
17. Then click Connect. You should see the dreaded Connected, No Internet. But this time, it’s a good thing.
Now, you run Oculus using Virtual Desktop with your Oculus account and not your Facebook account.
Using Oculus Tool
The final alternative to using Oculus Quest and Quest 2 without a Facebook account is to sideload Oculus and then unlink your Facebook account from Oculus Quest or Quest 2.
When setting up Oculus, you would still need your current linked Facebook account to sideload, as well as provide phone or card details to Facebook. But there are a few caveats:
- Do not perform a factory reset on your headset: you will lose everything and may not be able to use Oculus again
- You will not be able to access Oculus Store apps because your account will fail the permissions or integrity check
- Oculus TV and Oculus Browser will not work either. For browsing, use the Firefox Reality Browser
- Casting your headset to other devices such as phones, PC or TV will not work
- You can still use Oculus Link to play on your PC if you do not sign out of your Facebook-linked Oculus account on the Oculus mobile app
- With Oculus, Virtual Desktop will not work but alternatives like ALVR will work.
- With Oculus, you have the option to disable software updates. It is a good idea to do this because updates may unravel your setup and make you lose access to your headset entirely.
Download Oculus from lGithub
Then use SideQuest to sideload it to your Quest or Quest 2. If you do not already have SideQuest set up, please follow the steps below:
Note: Sidequest does not work on iPhone but works on Mac.
1. Download SideQuest version for your OS (Windows, Mac, Linux, Android)
2. Create an Organisation
You need to create an Organization in order to enable Developer Mode on Quest 2. If developer mode is not enabled, you will be unable to use SideQuest properly. Go to dashboard.oculus.com and sign in to your Quest 2 account. Accept the terms and agreement and finish the process to create an Organization.
3. Enable Developer for Quest 2
- Open the Oculus app on your phone or PC
- Select Settings
- Select More Setting or Advanced Settings
- At Developer Mode, toggle to turn it on
- Reboot your Quest 2
4. Disable Unlock Pattern in the Oculus app
- Open the Oculus app on your phone
- Select Settings
- Select Quest
- Select More Settings
- Select Unlock Pattern and click to disable
If you already have an unlock pattern active, please use the steps below:
- Open the Oculus app
- Select Devices
- Select your Quest 2 headset
- At Headset Settings, Select Unlock Pattern
- Select Remove Unlock Pattern
- Enter your Oculus PIN and Submit5. Install SideQuest on Your PC
- Connect USB and Enable Debugging
- Open the SideQuest app on your PC
- Turn on your headset and set up a Guardian
- Connect the USB cable from your headset to the computer. It is better to use a working phone USB rather than the Quest 2 cable.
- Put on your headset and check to “Always allow from this computer”. Then click OK to Allow
Then download and run Oculus using SideQuest
Features available on Oculus:
- Log out of Facebook
- Disable Telemetry (usage data)
- Disable Device Companion
- Disable Updates
- Enable Audio in Background
Downsides of Using Oculus Without a Facebook Account
- If you go for the business version of Quest 2, you would need to fork out an extra $500 to use Oculus smoothly without a Facebook account
- If you reset your headset and create a parallel Oculus account, you will not have access to updates, the internet, Air Link, and Link Cable, and you are only able to use Oculus Virtual Desktop
- If you use Oculus, you will also not have internet access, access to store, Oculus browser, Oculus TV, casting, and Virtual Desktop
- Furthermore, you are unable to share your game progress and achievements with others
- You cannot join parties and other social VR games
- When you try to use the app, you may not find your headset as a device, especially when you factory reset and create a parallel Oculus account
Can I Deactivate my Facebook and Still Use Oculus?
Officially, if you deactivate your Facebook account, you will not be able to access any of your Oculus products or Oculus data.
Facebook is working to make it possible to unlink your Facebook account and even deactivate (or delete it) without losing access to your Oculus. But this is still in the works and we will provide updates when this is made legally possible.
For now, If you want to go ahead and use Oculus without Facebook, you would need to use one of the steps detailed in this article.
What Happens If You Don’t Have a Facebook Account for Oculus?
If you don’t have a Facebook account for Oculus, you will not have access to most of the features that make Oculus a complete VR headset including updates, app store, social games and parties, casting, and so on.
Can I Make A Fake Facebook Account For Oculus?
You may remember that during the Oculus setup earlier in the article, you are prompted to enter your real name for Facebook and then any name of your choice for your VR profile. Facebook has a real name policy when setting up Oculus. Also, one Facebook name is not allowed to run 2 separate accounts.
This makes it hard to create a fake Facebook account just for Oculus. If you are concerned about privacy, you are prompted to choose your privacy settings when setting up Oculus. If you don’t already have a Facebook account and want to create one just for Oculus, then follow the steps below:
1. Go to the Facebook website and create a new account with your real name
2. You can upload a profile picture or upload the default Facebook silhouette picture
3. Go to the Settings and Privacy page
4. Select Privacy Checkup
5. Change every setting to Only Me and select Next
6. Also, change Future Posts, and Stories to Only Me in the next section
7. Select Next and Finish
This way, you have a Facebook account with no info to be shared to and from Oculus.